What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First try and recycling

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
holy fuck i would freeze to death up there. you must literally have pine tree genetics in you.

The -20F to -30F is the average low temp over the entire year. January is the coldest month here and the average low for the month is about 5F.

No pine tree genetics, but I do put on 20lbs of winter fat. I also let my hair and beard grow. Both help a lot, but make me look like a slightly paunchy fundamentalist. Also you do tend to acclimate to the cold. By the time February rolls around I'm rocking a sweatshirt when it is in the 20s.

I called around to a few nurseries and no one carries camellias. One place said they have them occasionally in the winter. They also said that the only way you could grow them here would be to take them inside when it gets cold.

Pine

supermanlives

Veteran
great thread . i have done it several times when i used earth boxes . when i ferted i would make a deep narrow hole and put a funnel in hole than back fill with organic ferts. making your own fert spikes sort of . worked great and no need to disturb the soil much

C

CC_2U

supermanlives

Pardon my ignorance but what is an 'earth box' - a term I'm not familiar with.

Thanks for your help!

CC

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I called around to a few nurseries and no one carries camellias. One place said they have them occasionally in the winter. They also said that the only way you could grow them here would be to take them inside when it gets cold.

dont worry about it then, i am 100% sure there is a local alternative you can use for a flower fert. hell if you can grow comfrey, comfrey grows amazing nugs. add whatever blooms you can find and use them along side.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I think I'm going to throw a MH bulb in and run 11/13. I've grown a bunch of satativas (SSH, Kali Mist, ISS, Red Congolese, and Dutch Dragon), some of which flowered for 15 weeks, and I've always used the 12/12 flowering photo-period, so I'm in uncharted waters here.

Pine

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I think I'm going to throw a MH bulb in and run 11/13. I've grown a bunch of satativas (SSH, Kali Mist, ISS, Red Congolese, and Dutch Dragon), some of which flowered for 15 weeks, and I've always used the 12/12 flowering photo-period, so I'm in uncharted waters here.

Sometimes the details really matter. I went to change the timer to 11/13 and it was set up for 18/6. Whoops! While I thought I've been flowering for a month I've really just been vegging huge plants. Furthermore, I've pruned all the side branches so I can't cut these down to size and flower them.

What am I going to do? I'm going to take cuts of both of plants and I'm going to try and flower the plants as they are now in the box. If I get overgrown (which is likely) I'll just chop them up for mulch to be used with the cuts. Either way it looks like I'll be growing into the summer and using some AC.

Pine

Edit: if I manage to keep these plants contained I'm going to change my moniker to "sativa tamer"

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol stoner....

i would chop them down low right above some good nodes with strong side growth(like take off a 3rd of the plant), then veg them some more to establish another lower canopy and then flower. itl delay you getting nugs a little but i think youll get more yield out of it in the long run.

at least youll get that mulch material you were needing.

i think chopping and flowering will give weak structure for flowering and lower the yield.

that's just me though.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
lol stoner

Guilty. Although I want to blame my really confusing digital timer.

i would chop them down low right above some good nodes with strong side growth(like take off a 3rd of the plant), then veg them some more to establish another lower canopy and then flower.

Normally this is what I would do, but since I pruned all of the side branches this is not an option. There are fan leaves below the canopy (I left those), but no side branches.

i think chopping and flowering will give weak structure for flowering and lower the yield.

Sad to say, but what I was talking about doing is chopping these plants down to stumps (killing them) and starting over with the cuts. The soil is very good now so I think I could put 4 cuts in and flower them with minimal or no veg time. I could be flowering the cuts in 2 weeks (as soon as they are rooted). By this time I should know if I can tame the plants in the cab.

Pine

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
lol stoner....

i would chop them down low right above some good nodes with strong side growth(like take off a 3rd of the plant), then veg them some more to establish another lower canopy and then flower. itl delay you getting nugs a little but i think youll get more yield out of it in the long run.

at least youll get that mulch material you were needing.

that's just me though.

Word...
That's what I was trying to say a way's back....but I sometimes leave out details I think others would know to do. Thanks for picking up the ball Jay.

I often cut back plants that are too tall right above a node that has positive healthy growth. After the cut I allow time for that new growth start kicking out the big leaves....then flower.

That's what I would do too.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Word...
That's what I was trying to say a way's back....but I sometimes leave out details I think others would know to do.

I understood completely, but below lies the problem. Essentially there are no nodes on the branches with growth.

Pine

This is what all the branches look like
picture.php

My new cuts: 3 from each plant being rooted in a north facing window. They are in rapid rooters slotted into LC's #1.
picture.php

Truth in advertising: I used a rooting hormone on the cuts that is not organic.
picture.php

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Wow...there's nothing in there to work with.....I see.

I used to use that stuff a forever. It get's all cakey,but works...and yeah,it's not organic.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
dont worry about it then, i am 100% sure there is a local alternative you can use for a flower fert. hell if you can grow comfrey, comfrey grows amazing nugs. add whatever blooms you can find and use them along side.

Searching around the yard again. I know we have a lot of something called phlox which isn't blooming yet. I also ran into a lot of the plant below. I think it might be comfrey. Yes, no?

Pine

picture.php

picture.php

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not comfrey, 100% sure. looks like some form or relative of tobacco to me, but thats just a guess.

just buy some bocking 14 comfrey root, its like 2-4$ for one. one established plant gives a lot of comfrey leaf, and the plants are easily self propagated. bocking 14 variety has sterile seed. only buy real comfrey if you have a natural type garden, and plan on harvesting the root for medicine because there will be a lot of it.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
just buy some bocking 14 comfrey root, its like 2-4$ for one.

I picked up some Bocking 14 Comfrey. I couldn't buy it locally (wtf?) so I ordered online. I have a nice sunny spot that is currently getting overrun with creeping charlie to plant it in.

Pine

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
its hard to buy comfrey locally, most people hate it.

i got mine online originally, now youll never need to get it again just propagate it by root cuttings.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Not to be critical Pinecone, because your plants look great, but they do seem a little large for their space. I flower in a 3X3 box that is 6'8" in inside height and I have a scrog screen set at 30 inches, even then I come close to running out of room when the stretch is big......scrappy

Latest posts

Latest posts