What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First try and recycling

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i heard that on the radio some time ago, pretty shocked to hear it as most people dont care about wild foods.

be sure to check out eattheweeds channel at youtube. lots of good videos on tons of useful plants. im more than sure it will help identify some local plants to eat/use for gardening.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
So I'm looking around under the mulch (which has sort of become a hobby for me :)) and I see this. I now have a ton of these critters.

picture.php

Does anyone know what they are?

Pine

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
At first glance I though root aphids...but they look more like some kind of mite that seems interested in decaying plant matter. Not all mites are plant suckers or predators...some eat decaying organic matter.
Really though,I dunno. Pay attention to their behavior and watch what they do. Are they feeding on the living tissue or the dead..or both?
They could be a beneficial,so don't wipe them out until you figure it out.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Thanks Capt. I will take another look when the lights come back on. At first I thought they were some sort of fungus, so I wasn't worried about them. I'm still not really as there are a lot of them, the plants look great, and I don't recall seeing them munching on the roots (which are now exposed below the mulch in abundance).

Pine

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
You may notice an explosion in population,but then a sudden drop in #'s as the competition for available food reaches it's peak. If they are a beneficial you'd like to keep around,the population should balance out according to the amount of food and the environment.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks like regular old decomposing mites. youll also find predator mites that eat those guys.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
looks like regular old decomposing mites

Thanks Jay. I looked again this morning and they were definitely not munching roots. They seem to like the cannamulch. So you are correct; they are some sort of soil mite feeding on decomposing plant material.

Pine

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I'm not concerned about getting overgrown at all. Another 6" of stretch would be ideal.

Ok - I'm a little afraid now as I got the 6" of stretch that I was asking for plus a bit more, they haven't started budding up yet, and the stems are not woody (an indication to me they aren't done growing up). The plants are now 25" from the tops of the pots and I have about 10" between the plant tops and the glass, which is about ideal for light intensity and distribution. From here on out I'm going to be crushing stems without mercy.

Pine

No more room:
picture.php

Stem abuse:
picture.php

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Looks like you are going to need more room. I'd flower now...actually I'd cut them back and then flower. They will stretch and be into the light regardless of type at this point. Either that or pull them out of the cab and mount that light in a closet somewhere...

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Looks like you are going to need more room. I'd flower now...actually I'd cut them back and then flower.

They have been under 12/12 lighting for nearly 4-weeks now (Since April 13). I'm going to keep stem crushing in hopes of containing them. If that doesn't work and they grow into the light then I'll just crimp the branches a foot or so down to 45 degree angles and grow horizontal colas. This approach would require additional thinning though so I want to avoid it. If I can keep them where they are right now that would be ideal.

Every now and then I see a SSH thread where the plants just don't starting budding up under 12/12. I hope I don't have 1 or 2 of these types. During my last SSH grow the plants were budding up by 3-4 weeks.

Pine

Edit: Maybe I'll throw a MH bulb in. I've got a CMH in there now which produces significantly more red and less blue.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Wow...hardly any flower development. Missed the part where you went into flower. You're going to need to do something if they truly are sativa dominant.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds like some ssh to me, i used to grow this sativa leaning type outdoors in socal .it would always be the last to start, one of the last to finish. but man o man was that shit good, sticky, drippy, goodness if you left it to go long. mind fuck type weed.

i would hit it with a camelia FPE if I was you. since ive been using that stuff, it kicks ass at making shit fruit/flower. i have been using it on some strawberries omfg compared to the ones without. i got a few last doses in last year on the cannabis but not as much as i wanted to, this year ill see.

if you already had it made the calcium phosphate with the burnt eggshells in vinegar works good at this stage. but it takes a few weeks.

ps: i think i missed the post to capt, i thought he was still vegging lol.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
i would hit it with a camelia FPE if I was you. since ive been using that stuff, it kicks ass at making shit fruit/flower.

I've never heard of this plant. I googled it. It appears that it hasn't really been adapted to plant hardiness zone 5 yet, which unfortunately is where I am.

i think i missed the post to capt, i thought he was still vegging lol.

In this case I'm surprised you guys weren't telling me to flower these things already. :)

sounds like some ssh to me, i used to grow this sativa leaning type outdoors in socal .it would always be the last to start, one of the last to finish. but man o man was that shit good, sticky, drippy, goodness if you left it to go long. mind fuck type weed.

The ones a grew out a couple of years ago were different from these. They finished in 10-11 weeks and were very good smoke. Definitely one of my favorites from my 6-years of growing herb.

My previous SSH plants at 3-4 weeks of 12/12. Big difference from these plants.
picture.php

Dry bud:
picture.php

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never heard of this plant. I googled it. It appears that it hasn't really been adapted to plant hardiness zone 5 yet, which unfortunately is where I am.

everyones mom loves and grows camelias around here lol. you must be looking at a different plant because from i just searched there are quite a few cold hardy camelias, some down to -26C which is -14F. there normally grown as ornamental plants and in no way ever considered other than here at IC a fertilizer plant. so dont ask lol. how cold does it get in zone 5? i also use yarrow, dandelion and chamomile blooms in the same way. what has more things that a flower needs than flowers lol. at least in theory anyways.

The ones a grew out a couple of years ago were different from these. They finished in 10-11 weeks and were very good smoke. Definitely one of my favorites from my 6-years of growing herb.

given i had as long of a season as i wanted i kept selecting for the longer growing phenotypes. some of them would go 130 days for that super sativa kill that drops pretty much everyone. most would land somewhere around 110-120 days though. i always did find a few shorter finishing ones like 80 days every now and then.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Actually I'm in zone 4 which has an average annual low temp of -20 degrees F to -30 degrees F. I wish I lived somewhere that wasn't so cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I'm going to call around to see what I can find.

Pine

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
holy fuck i would freeze to death up there. you must literally have pine tree genetics in you.