What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Polar,

Great looking harvest!

You know, I was just looking at the last picture you posted.... It never dawned on me that I could use my toilet as a bubbler. Do you have to continously flush it? Could save on electricity costs and keep the temps down, but I would think the water bill might get up there. And lets not even bring up the fertilizer issue............

G

Pipedream said:
Polar,

Great looking harvest!

You know, I was just looking at the last picture you posted.... It never dawned on me that I could use my toilet as a bubbler. Do you have to continously flush it? Could save on electricity costs and keep the temps down, but I would think the water bill might get up there. And lets not even bring up the fertilizer issue............

Hey pipe dream Thanks man - that's only 1/2 of the harvest - still another plant to go :D

Yeah it was hard toilet training the plants at first but after they got the hang of sitting on the seat flushing was never a problem again... LOL

G

in 2 months ill get some photos up of my soursaverbx2.5 girls getting latteral under my 150hps ebb n flo unit...
also gona suppliment the area with some Serious seeds chronic for good measure.

StickyGreenCola

Some adjustments in the cab, and plenty of space to fill with clones.

Root two or 3 at a time until its full. The one all the way to the left is a cutting of the big girl I just took down. Me and that pheno dont get along at all, Ive tried everything. The rest are my beautiful 60 day pheno. The 2nd from the left are 4 weeks or so. 3 at two weeks and one at one week.

And of course, the heartbeat of the operation.

Last edited:
G

Hey Thanks BombSquadron. I'll look at Lowes for the one without the switch.
I'm good at a lot of things but electricals is not one of them. So my question is; what is the main advantage of making it a remote balast. I don't really have a height problem so I'm not sure of the need to take it apart and rebuild.

Thanks for your efforts,
Woof

G

You don’t really need to make a new ballast box, as the one it comes with is fine.
Just ad the cord and move the bulb out of the housing .

With security lights you get a heat diffusion shield. This thing does wonders as far as keeping temps down. I tried without the shield and with the shield and noticed no benefits without the shield. With the shield temps stayed very level (hovering slightly above ambient) and I didn't notice any slower/poorer growth.

Also, with security lights those casings are awesome. I'd recommend putting a fan that blows overtop of the mounted case to help keep it cool. Overall, if you leave everything (ballast, bulb and all) inside the case you really shouldn't have a problem with heat.

Just make sure you exhaust outside of your cab or else you may run into issues.

StickyGreenCola

A big fan will negate the need for a heat shield.

I keep plants around 1-2" from the HPS with no tube, no glass or anything, and I've never heat stressed them, in fact I rarely read temps into the 80's. I'm running a 265CFM dayton though.

Theres lots of ways to take care of heat and save space. Choose something that works best for your application. Good ventilation will save you many headaches later.

:yeahthats Very true. Proper ventilation and keeeping the heat from the lamp is the key to a successful garden. I imagine that 265cfm would keep things in check! :D

Overall, like you said StickyGreenCola, choose what works best. Considering I'm all about stealth, I require quiet fans, so the heat shield is a necessity for me.

Found out I'm getting $300 back from the feds. :woohoo: Can't wait to begin building my cab. Now I gotta look around in the classifieds and trading posts and find a cheap 3.5'ft dresser. I think I finally figured out how I'm gonna hook up the carbon scrubbers and how I'll make the false front work.

When I get everything accumulated I'll post pics. :D

Last edited:

kilacaLIbud

when i first started.. i would dream of a 150 watt hps.. but i had a70 watt.. and i pulled at least 3 grows on the only 70 watt of good bud..

i had many plants growin not just 2 .. but i had 2 in flowering and like 5 in veg.. heres my TRU GHETTO CAB,. that works..

remember only 1 70 watt hps and a ghetto hood made from a old coffie can

these are the 2 best plants from the grows.. and both were harvested under the 70 watt at the same time.. so there is hope in growin good bud with 70watts.. ive heard diff.. but if u got it u got it... :wave:

i have yet to see better results.. with a 70 watt..hps.. and this was all test seeds.. no good strains. the 2 best plants harvested were
mr.nice dreamtime sativa x hemcy durban...
and the LST'd is a BUBBLEGUMXDURBAN

Last edited:

stevr59

i was just thinking how hard would it be to make the150 hps e-conolite in to a swichable light would be kind of nice to have a 150 mh lite as well has any one try this yet.. seem's all i would have to is remove the ingniters from the cirut with some kind of swich any one have any ideas?

G

stevr59

it's a bit more complicated than that I believe.

If you really wanted to have both with one ballast/fixture you should get a 175 watt mh. then you can buy a 150 watt hps conversion bulb to run in there.

however since a conversion bulb will easily run you $60 and a trip to the hydro store it's probably cheaper to just buy both lamps and use one or both at the same time. in fact if you follow Pipe dream's link you'll see they have 175 watt mh ballasts for $35.

kilacaLIbud - very nice job with a 70watter!

-polar

Pipedream, great link! :yes: If I ever get the space to use a 400 watter I'm ordering from those guys. Definately has me thinking about getting a 150MH.

StickyGreenCola

Well boys, the results are in. A bit over 6 oz from my first harvest. with one plant left to go (probably only .5-.75oz).

Thats between .7-.8 gpw so I'm pretty pleased. I should be able to improve on that with a denser groing style.

G

another1comesundertheaxe

another1comesundertheaxe

well it was 62 days of 12/12 and 13 days of pure water flush and I decided to chop down this beautiful Oregon90

full plant shot

macro shot

whole plant chopped and hanging to dry

my roots shot for Pipe dream - this plant put some serious roots down filling a good amount of my 2 gallon bucket.

and here's a shot of the other plant I took last week

and here's the jarred up buds. only about 3 half pint jars

my other two harvest yielded 4+ half pint jars so I'm a little disappointed in this V-scrog experiment thus far. Since the idea was to increase yield over a horizontal scrog and that is not what happened I think I may go back to a horizontal scrog again.

-polar_bear