What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will: "Nature Always Find A WaY" (at my expense this time :))

Ok heres a real question I have... I have a bunch of clones that are vegging...of course they are all female...I have a bunch of female clones vegging...and I popped some AK48's and now have ak48 seedlings... From what I have heard nature always finds a way to reproduce...ect...ie hermies....

So to all you experienced breeders:

Will my ak48 seedlings all or most be male, due to the fact that htey are under the same light as all the female clones??? I'll let you guys know in a bout a month what my results are...but any experienced breeders have anything to say about this???? THANKS!!!

:abduct: :ying:

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
The plants surronding the seedlings should have no influence on the gender of the seedlings. Atmospheric conditions will, however, play a role in m/f ratios... because of the fact that, when a plant is faced with dire conditions (too much heat, not enough food, stress.. etc.) it will try and do whatever it can to spread its genes. Hence... being male gives them a higher chance for there genes to pass on because pollen can travel great distances.

peace

Thanks for the speedy response...I dig what you're saying bartender, well wouldn't the surrounding plants be an atmospheric influence? ...what I was thinking is that the chemicals that the plants let off will influence the gender somehow...?

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
in short... No.

Im not an expert by any means, but im rather sure that plants do not give off chemicals that signal to surrondin plants what gender to choose. Ive grown seedlings beside clones and have not witnessed anything other than normal M:F ratios.

maybe... a more experienced breeder/grower can shed some light on the issue.

G

secretweapon333 said:
Thanks for the speedy response...I dig what you're saying bartender, well wouldn't the surrounding plants be an atmospheric influence? ...what I was thinking is that the chemicals that the plants let off will influence the gender somehow...?

I never heard of such a thing........... bartender is correct............ if i remeber correctly from an enviromental science course in college, plants let out the byproduct oxygen and a small about of chlorophyll....... hope you have a great grow.

Thanks Guys...I guess I was watching too many nature shows on tv where there were nasty families of ants...and it said that they communicate completely by chemicals...heheheheheh I guess It kinda creeped me out!!! Thanks Again...!!!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Howdo yall? I want everybody to remember that "experts" said the earth was flat!! There is no proof that plants don't know who or what is around them! There is in fact a suggestion that they do. We have hormones we used to use to recognize each other and each other's sex. We don't use them conciously now but maybe that's because we refused that they existed and invented names that are more or less gender specific. Don't go getting ahead of yourselves in the name of knowledge....that is the most fatal mistake of scientific research! Peace!