What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strain creation

BlackHaze

How do you create a strain? what is selfing? and how do you stabilize a strain.
Example if I wanted to creat a blue Kush(Blueberry look as far as color W/ a Blueberry Kush Flavor) This is not my intention on such a strain just an example. So who would have the goods male or female?

BlackHaze

Thanks but after reading the post this info thats presented has nothing to do with my questions but thanx for the response.

newbgrow

I'm sort of a newb but ill try to answer this

I'm sort of a newb but ill try to answer this

How do you create a strain?

Simple answer is, you take 2 strains, cross them, and stabalized them to create a new strain.

what is selfing?

Selfing is a process where you take giberellic acid (?) or STS, a naturally occuring 'chemical' and apply it to a female plant to create male flowers on the female plant, or vice versa. This sexes the female plant with itself, making the seeds all female, since no real male was involved. By doing this you preserve (kinda) the genes of your special female plant, in a nutshell.

and how do you stabilize a strain.

Let's say you want to take a Blueberry and cross it with an Afghani. First you have to make sure your 2 parents are IBL's or as close to one as possible. That way when you cross it into the F1 generation it becomes fairly stable. Then you take the best female (the one with traits you're looking for), and cross it with males (the more the better I believe). It depends on what kind of traits you're looking for. If you want potency, you take the best female, incross it with a male from the same batch of seeds. The F1 x F1 incross creates F2 generation, then F3 and so on... You keep doing this until you singulate one trait out so it breeds true to that strait as close to 100% as possible. The reason more males is better is so that you preserve genes, cause now if say you want an early maturing plant, you have more genes to select from, versus if you just threw away some males with the early maturing trait you werent looking for at that time, you would have less of an option now.

Basically you keep doing this until you come up with the perfect new, stabalized cross. And that would be called a new strain. This could take years, so most "strains" you see nowadays are F1's of already-stabalized dutch strains, like the Skunk#1 and NL, with variations.

This is as far as I understand it from hours and hours of research, but I may be wrong. :chin:

G

stability relates to breeding, how predictable it is when bred..consistency is the term that should be used to describe the variation from seedling to seedling in a given generation imho...ie f1s are never stable but they can be very consistent, f2s are slightly stabilized but inconsistent, f3s are near stable but can be very inconsistent, f4s are somewhat stable and somewhat consistent, f5s are stable and consistent...as a general rule