What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trying to figure out best growing system for my space

Currently working in a spare bedroom with no direct drain access. Was thinking of running drain to waste in coco, utilizing trays and waste rez which I would pump out every once in a while, but am starting to think I would be better off running RDWC or something similar because it seems like more of a closed loop system, which i would have to drain less often (i think). don't know if I want to drop all that fancy $ on a UC system, but I am thinking about it.

Any opinions from people growing without direct plumbing in the space? running a 5x10 tent.

Speed of green

dtw with 5 gallon buckets as drain res's isnt a bad option.

you could also rig up a condensate pump to a larger res, or to a drain elsewhere.

Drop That Sound

UC doesn't have to be expensive..

Could plumb a few large black totes (or a bunch of smaller buckets, etc) and a control bucket together, using "1-1/4 or "2 grey PVC electrical conduit, and cheap male/female terminal adapter fittings with rubber o-rings as the bulkheads.

Then get some cheap ecoplus air/water pumps and y filter and your good to go. Unless you need a chiller, that would be the biggest expense, DTW might be better in that case.

I'm setting up a DTW for a buddy, in his room, and we are gonna drill a hole right through the wall.. right up and over the bath tub surround that is on the other side. Then put a submersible pump with a vertical float switch and a check valve, so it can pump the waste through the hose, and into the tub aimed towards the drain.

If you could do something like that it would be the best, repairing small holes in drywall if and when the time comes isn't to bad. Same with a small drain pipe hole, drilled out under the carpet\padding that is just barely peeled back, in the corner of a room ;)

As long as your waste res is larger than the feed res you cant really go wrong by manually dumping it. They make hoses as long as you need for a task like that.