What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with my underground OP asap please!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I had a flip flop room, the wall between the rooms where panda film and had no issues with light leaks. I think the heat transfer is better, compared to a wood or plaster wall.
The rest of the walls, I would build in wood/plaster and insulate.

queequeg152

Veteran
reflextix is basically a scam insulation material.

dont bother with a radiant barrier what so ever unless you are doing something in a very hot attic space.

even then your money is better spent just insulating the attic with ventilation at the ridge or even sealing the attic completely.

the reason a radiant barrier works at all in an attic space is becasue the roof deck on an asphalt shingle roof can reach in excess of 120f regularly. even then the effective r value is quite low, while the material cost can be as high as 2 dollars a square foot.

you can buy r30 roxul batts for less than 2 dollars a square foot. do the math.

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
reflextix is basically a scam insulation material.

dont bother with a radiant barrier what so ever unless you are doing something in a very hot attic space.

even then your money is better spent just insulating the attic with ventilation at the ridge or even sealing the attic completely.

the reason a radiant barrier works at all in an attic space is becasue the roof deck on an asphalt shingle roof can reach in excess of 120f regularly. even then the effective r value is quite low, while the material cost can be as high as 2 dollars a square foot.

you can buy r30 roxul batts for less than 2 dollars a square foot. do the math.

Hey man, I got everything finished and taken care ofbnow... Stop by and check out my new grow journal and how Ibdid everything.

Thanks for the heads up though in case I ever chose to use it in the future.

Drop That Sound

I wonder if radon gas could ever be a problem. Especially if you were running sealed, the gas seeping through the walls..

Is it more of a geographical location thing, like certain rocks in certain areas?

MountainBudz

I wonder if radon gas could ever be a problem. Especially if you were running sealed, the gas seeping through the walls..

Is it more of a geographical location thing, like certain rocks in certain areas?

Man, I swear to you I have been thinking the exact same thing lately. Have been wondering myself if that would cause a problem. Time to do some research on the matter...

queequeg152

Veteran
radon is form uranium in soils.

if you dont have uranium in your soil, you generally wont have any radon.

you need just a modicum of ventilation to reduce radon to safe levels. it does not hug the floor like a stratified cold dryice fog or something like that...idk where that myth came from. yes its a very very heavy gas, but gasses dont behave like that.

MountainBudz

radon is form uranium in soils.

if you dont have uranium in your soil, you generally wont have any radon.

you need just a modicum of ventilation to reduce radon to safe levels. it does not hug the floor like a stratified cold dryice fog or something like that...idk where that myth came from. yes its a very very heavy gas, but gasses dont behave like that.

Good info there buddy..

So regardless of the radon levels in my underground grow op, the radon will not harm the plants? I don't have a constant flow of exhaust, but my extract fan kicks on about every 5 minutes (it is plugged into a Thermostatically controlled outlet to control temps).

I have had lots of yellowing in my leaves since putting my clones in the room. Not severe, but worrisome for sure.

They are expressing cal-mag and nitrogen deficiency types of symptoms that just seem extremely hard to correct. Have also notices some mutation type growth as well, newer fan leaves kinda deformed and look "torn" here and there and some holes in the leaves. I have ZERO pests in the room.

Drop That Sound

Mutant buds with no pest problems don't sound too bad. I mean, you don't live in there anyway right? ;)

But yeah the few article's I just read say radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer, 1 in 8-15 homes over the limit, can be 10 times higher at a neighbors house than other houses, and could be anywhere, yadda yadda.

No one really seems to ever talk about it though.. Basically there is a ratio of people (1-30 maybe?), that have or are being exposed in high concentrations, and don't even know it!

I guess a couple cheap $15 tests could put the mind at ease, not sure about the 3 months ones. They say the levels fluctuate throughout the year.

Those radon gas cloud chamber tests on youtube sure are trippy lol.

queequeg152

Veteran
Good info there buddy..

So regardless of the radon levels in my underground grow op, the radon will not harm the plants? I don't have a constant flow of exhaust, but my extract fan kicks on about every 5 minutes (it is plugged into a Thermostatically controlled outlet to control temps).

I have had lots of yellowing in my leaves since putting my clones in the room. Not severe, but worrisome for sure.

They are expressing cal-mag and nitrogen deficiency types of symptoms that just seem extremely hard to correct. Have also notices some mutation type growth as well, newer fan leaves kinda deformed and look "torn" here and there and some holes in the leaves. I have ZERO pests in the room.

do your neightbors have radon mitigation fans where you live?

radon should not be problem for plants what so ever... but it IS a problem for yourself. especially if you are spending an appreciable amnount of time in this space.

if you really want to know you can get the place tested. if the people around you have radon mitigation fans then definatly get your place tested too.

you mention ventilation... but are you ventilating to the outside? or just venting outside the tent back into the space?

in most cases, people put furnaces in their basements. there is a natural amount of air leakage with any hvac system... however in situation where the basement does not have any air handling equipment it can accumulate.

in a very new air tight house, this leakage out of the envelope can be close to 0... however tight houses are required to have ventilation of some sort.

typically in a situation where you have no air moving through the basement, you would install a small 40scfm blower to run either on a timer or run constantly depending on the size of the space.

it all just depends on how much radon we are talking about. keep in mind that hvac equipment in some climates only runs like 6 months a year. in this case you would want a radon fan even if you had an air handler in the basement(presumably leaking some air).

in places like huge mines rich in uranium and thorium... the blower requirements become insane, but in a basement you really dont need much ventilation at all.

Latest posts

Latest posts