What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tikal outdoors in the north

gorilla ganja

Hello,
I received some Tikal freebies with my order. I decided to try them outdoors at 53 north latitude. I'm pretty sure they will not finish before the freeze comes. But was wondering if anyone has experience growing Tikal outdoors in northern latitudes. Or how far north Tikal has been tested? Any information is appreciated.
Peace GG

Last edited:
B

blue_tick

go for it GG I will be keeping an eye on this as well. what a line up you have going on

Buddler

Veteran
GG ive grown lots of good indoor strains outside 49 th but you have to set up light dep or they will never finish in time . B

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi gorilla ganja,

Thanks for supporting our work.

Tikal has been grown successfully outdoors in northern Spain and southern France so i think you should be able to mature her properly at your latitude, unless you live in a cold mountanous microclimate.

Best wishes for the season!

gorilla ganja

Hi gorilla ganja,

Thanks for supporting our work.

Tikal has been grown successfully outdoors in northern Spain and southern France so i think you should be able to mature her properly at your latitude, unless you live in a cold mountanous microclimate.

Best wishes for the season!

Thank you dubi for the information and kind wishes. I live close but not in the cold mountains. :)
I will update how my Bangi haze and Tikal do in the Canadian outdoors.
Peace GG

Limeygreen

Veteran
Not from Experience but I believe your bangi will do well for you but the Tikal may need to be topped several times to have smaller head buds for the fall so moisture doesn't become an issue.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the Tikal may need to be topped several times to have smaller head buds for the fall so moisture doesn't become an issue.

I guess it's better if you're in a humid climate and I'm talking for experience ;)

Dubi, is this strain born in the Tikal/Peten zone or it comes from somewhere else?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Bangi haze will perform much better in Canada than Tikal due its early flowering, it usually finishes 15 days earlier than Tikal, and this can make the difference when growing in northern latitudes.

Tikal has been bred to perform very well in hot and mild conditions in flowering process.
You don't need to top Tikal to improve its mold resistance against botrytis, it's quite resistant against rain and this type of fungus, just be careful with worms and powdery mildew like with any other strain.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi noreason,

Octopuses garden (a member here) sent me the Guatemala sativa (and other central american sativas that he collected in the area) in 2002. He will be able to comment more about the concrete area where he picked up the genetics.

I gave the Guatemala seeds and the NL/Haze parental plants to Komanche (ACE member and one of my closest friends) in 2003 and he did the rest of the Tikal breeding. I just orientated him with my opinion of his progresses: i like this more .. i like this less, but he did the full job.

As i explained previously, Tikal was originally a NL/Haze mother 4 pollinated by pure guatemala dad, then the NL/Haze x Guatemala outcross was grown and best females were backcrossed again to the same Guatemala line (2nd generation guatemalas) making Tikal 75 % guatemala and 25 % NL/Haze in this step.

Then it was bred by Komanche for 3-4 generation more in the last 10 years, producing different standard and fem lines between F3 and F5 steps.

Now Tikal it's not just a guatemala dominant line or just a NL/Haze influenced plant: it's Tikal, it has been selected towards new traits until Tikal got its own character.

Maybe Tikal it's not so strong or well tamed like Panama, but in my opinion is another very nice central american sativa bred, especially if you are looking for the funnier, clearer and more psychedelic effects from the old mexicans and central american sativas. Panama green phenos are closer in that sense to Tikal.

Limeygreen

Veteran
That is good to know, in my area a lot of flowers can be ruined with the rain come fall especially with cold weather so I had made the assumption to top it for thinner buds for possible cold and wet autumn. Sorry to give bad advice for this variety when I didn't have prior experience.

Bangi haze will perform much better in Canada than Tikal due its early flowering, it usually finishes 15 days earlier than Tikal, and this can make the difference when growing in northern latitudes.

Tikal has been bred to perform very well in hot and mild conditions in flowering process.
You don't need to top Tikal to improve its mold resistance against botrytis, it's quite resistant against rain and this type of fungus, just be careful with worms and powdery mildew like with any other strain.

gorilla ganja

Was not planning on this being a grow diary. But I will keep posting here to update on Tikal progress in the north.

Tikal

picture.php

B

blue_tick

GG she trucking wright along brother and healthy. keep us posted I have been thinking about getting tikal. make me buy them lol

S

scai

Gorilla ganja's Tikals look a lot like mine.Have few of them in the beginning of flowering, need to take some pictures ;)
Nice hard stems.

gorilla ganja

GG she trucking wright along brother and healthy. keep us posted I have been thinking about getting tikal. make me buy them lol

I just throw them in the ground flboy. The rest is up to the plant. I do like the growth of Tikal, They were some of my favorites of all my strains straight from breaking ground.

Gorilla ganja's Tikals look a lot like mine.Have few of them in the beginning of flowering, need to take some pictures ;)
Nice hard stems.

Hi scai, if yours are outdoors please feel free to post pics here as well as your latitude. If they are starting to flower you must be far south of me. Good luck with your grow this year.

Peace GG

gorilla ganja

Update on the Tikal in the north. Tikal is growing very nicely. Very vigorous considering drought like conditions for last couple months. The rain has started to fall now so they are happy. She is about 6' or 182 cm tall. I only feed her a cup of blood meal when I planted.

Tikal

picture.php

B

blue_tick

GG LOOKING GOOD MY FRIEND. I THINK SHE SHOULD BE GETTING READY FOR THE STRETCH BY NOW

gorilla ganja

The Tikal is growing nicely but no flowering yet. This means the odds of finishing are slim. Even if it gets half way should be some nice hash.:)

Tikal

picture.php

The Bangi Haze also no sign of flowers yet. But with shorter flowering time should be able to get close to finish if we get a warm fall. Anyone have any suggestions for breeding the Bangi with to get it to flower with a longer day length ? Does anyone know of a sativa that will start to flower with 15-16 hrs of light?

Peace GG

Bangi Haze

picture.php