What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THC boiling point 315F Whats proper cooking temp?

thinkin

According to many sources,
(wiki)
Tetrahydrocannabinol boiling point is 157C / 315F

How come (all i have seen) brownie recipes state cook at 350-375 F?
Have I been over cooking my brownies?

Good friend recommended cooking at 270F

What am I missing?

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Many volatile cannabinoids are disrupted simply by handling,, so the lower the temps when preparing edibles the better,, like lassie, so some ice hash in yoghurt usually works well.

When cooking with ganja (mj) leaf n buds, then the resin needs to be dissolved into an oil normally during the heating and cooking. But again the lower the temps the better, since less goodness and flavour will be burnt off or evaporate during the process of heat exposure.

heat, friction, sunlight are known to decompose resin glands quicker than anything else, so avoid them if medi :D

hope this helps

G

greenmatter

the brownie mix never reaches 350 degrees. think of the christmas turkey sitting in the 350 oven all day to reach 170 degrees. the turkey never gets near 350 before it is fully cooked

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
350-375 is for metal pans. Glass pans call for 325 and make better brownies anyway.

G

greenmatter

what does a stoner do with a laser thermometer?

measures stupid shit like the temperature of a pan of brownies while they are baking ................. don't do drugs.

betty crocker fudge brownies .... 8x8 glass pan, high altitude ..... oven @ 325... cook time 54 minutes

0 minutes pan 73 brownies 73

20 minutes pan 252 brownies 212

40 minutes pan 267 brownies 250

54 minutes pan 271.5 brownies 267

you are still almost 50 degrees short of the boiling point of THC (315?????) if you follow the recipe on the box, so why sweat it? .......... the defense rests ..... ( until i get really fuckin' high and bake some cookies) or someone thinks that a 350 degree oven would make a huge difference ...... then i get to make more brownies. it is all in the name of research:wave::ying:

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just because it boils at 315 doesnt mean it evaporates at 315..... right? or wrong?....you would think it would still just melt and mix with the other compounds around it...

G

greenmatter

just because it boils at 315 doesnt mean it evaporates at 315..... right? or wrong?....you would think it would still just melt and mix with the other compounds around it...

wrong ...... the boiling point of anything is when it changes from a liquid to a gas. things can evaporate too but that does not have that much to do with any specific temperature. i am still not sure that THC boils at 315 .... seems low to me

different boiling points are what make processes like distillation work.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
thanks all

Greenmatter takes the win!
awesome! thanks a bunch!

I just put the IR thermometer on the SSV, it says 315F. I'm going up to 325F....... 325 is better with no burning.... by the end of this test, I wont know shit! It's all good till I get to the 4th go and.. blasted, cant function.! 325F is where I'm staying.

EDIT: 325F is much better! I havent move that dial in many months..Thanks for asking the question, thinkin.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for this thread, very helpful :tiphat:

Greenmatter +K when I can! :respect:

According to many sources,
(wiki)
Tetrahydrocannabinol boiling point is 157C / 315F

How come (all i have seen) brownie recipes state cook at 350-375 F?
Have I been over cooking my brownies?

Good friend recommended cooking at 270F

What am I missing?

The boiling point of thc depends on pressure. At a deep vacuum you may indeed see a boiling point somewhere at 157C but unless you have a vacuum pump capable of this then it will not happen. Computing the boiling point of thc can be done using a single point conversion chart which plots predicted boiling points at different pressures but it is crude. Using the chart and known Pubchem data and also using the data from my vid and other experiments I have computed crudely that at standard room pressures the boiling point would approach 450C. I suspect thermal breakdown would occur well before boiling at that temp because Pubchem also lists thc delta 9 as being subject to thermal degredation. Here is my own experiement under extreme vacuum of ¾ of one micron;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD5tIdnDNl0