What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EXCELLENT Example of Why People Resist Ending Prohibition

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
(Attention Jeff Sessions' information stream... are you listening?)

This was posted on a social media platform by Ramon Granados and I felt the need to share. This information goes straight to the core reason behind resistance to ending prohibition of anything, and especially cannabis right now.

Ramon Granados said:
Cannabis and the hundreth monkey effect

Most politician where cannabis is under the effect of the 81 years prohibition are literally under the hundreth monkey effect.
An experimenter puts 5 monkeys in a large cage. High up at the top of the cage, well beyond the reach of the monkeys, is a bunch of bananas. Underneath the bananas is a ladder.
The monkeys immediately spot the bananas and one begins to climb the ladder. As he does, however, the experimenter sprays him with a stream of cold water. Then, he proceeds to spray each of the other monkeys.

The monkey on the ladder scrambles off. And all 5 sit for a time on the floor, wet, cold, and bewildered. Soon, though, the temptation of the bananas is too great, and another monkey begins to climb the ladder. Again, the experimenter sprays the ambitious monkey with cold water and all the other monkeys as well. When a third monkey tries to climb the ladder, the other monkeys, wanting to avoid the cold spray, pull him off the ladder and beat him.

Now one monkey is removed and a new monkey is introduced to the cage. Spotting the bananas, he naively begins to climb the ladder. The other monkeys pull him off and beat him.
Here’s where it gets interesting. The experimenter removes a second one of the original monkeys from the cage and replaces him with a new monkey. Again, the new monkey begins to climb the ladder and, again, the other monkeys pull him off and beat him - including the monkey who had never been sprayed.
By the end of the experiment, none of the original monkeys were left and yet, despite none of them ever experiencing the cold, wet, spray, they had all learned never to try and go for the bananas.
Does it sound familiar?

USA imposed a global war on Cannabis based mainly on racism to Blacks and Latinos (well proven and documented) and yet the monkeys... sorry, sorry sorry, I meant politicans, simply behave as they are told to do so... no thinking... no challenging... just afraid of being spayed and beaten in a world screaming to be healed.

Douglas.Curtis

What's a 30 second elevator-pitch version of this concept. It can become a very valuable tool in enlightening people to their own lack of awareness and help end prohibition.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting to say the least...

Watch enough beatings and some peeps begin to wonder WHY they started in the first place. Then THEY get beat...

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yeah if you think like a chimp you will be a sycophant. Shame these guys running the system are indeed all spineless nepotist scum subservient to the very same system that let these talentless fascists repeatedly get fat at our expense down here on the factory floor.. The state wants power and it's citizens powerless, any centralising system will try and do the same. it's not looking out for you in your local area it's making big bucks in DC wasting tax payer money on deals that benefit multinational corporations to get big back handers from their cousins on the board of directors.. America could have been and can be maybe a great benevolent state but you keep getting these yellow bellied bankers puppets sailing the ship, and trump he's surely going to tank the states by starting trade wars with the rest of the world..

Politicians don't think they read off their scripts, they should be certified local heros fighting for their corner of the world but the governmental system is so stagnating anyone with a real soul turns and runs back to the real world because life is simply to short for nice people to get caught up in the grotesque faecal orgy that is politics.

Satyros

Prohibition on alcohol --> gangsters gunned down police --> finished.

400 years' Irish conflict --> IRA bombed the City of London --> they got a deal.

There's something to be said for violent protest as, it looks to me, our "legal states" are still a form of prohibition. These people are thoroughly terrified of revolt, and don't really listen to anything else. I mean, I can't tell you to do that, but what's really happened? They succumbed to the fact that California has so much weed, they decided to grab a piece or three of the pie? Other states start copying the same idea?

I honestly have no concept about changing, improving, or in any way fixing our current government at all, and the nicest thing I can say is that it could be cut down to size non-violently.

The "racist" stuff was a little extra gibberish to conceal the fact of people like DuPont being in charge of the government. The situation could perhaps be non-violently resolved by the dissolution of corporations and banks. Somehow, I get the sense that alerting sycophants to the fact that they are sycophants is not going to change their behavior.

Douglas.Curtis

I disagree. People seem to be a bit more upset about things when they become aware of external programming. Since this was deliberate, and continues to be so, it's a point of contention which spurs thought.

I'll keep thinking about it, chances are good I'll come up with something at least halfway useful. :)

Douglas.Curtis

I dislike legalization because immediately after it happened here a bunch of wealthy assholes and out of state opportunists flooded in and and bought the industry and the politicians off before any small time grower could have a chance.

Now we're looking at 100 acre greenhouses and med shops in every town. The only thing that levels the playing field is the big timers have to deal with taxes, regulations and massive overhead.
You dislike prohibition. If 'legalization' had happened, we would be able to grow and use cannabis like lettuce plants. What we have is monetized prohibition.

green404

Interesting analogy, instead of water we have thugs with military gear kicking in doors hauling people away and taking children.

We also have resistance towards legalization due to money. Marijuana prohibition is a multi billion dollar industry and people do not want to find new jobs. We have all the thugs that enforce it, prisons industries that are supported by it then we have illegal growers and dealers who make a living from it.

BerrySeal

What the monkies formed could be considered a religion. No one seen it themself but they heard it happened, might have might not, pass it on. Hell fire and brimstone if you go for them nanners.

Or perhaps you could liken it to culture, wherein the pursuit of local enjoyment, the definition of culture, has been substituted with a false desire, the desire to not be "punished". It can't be punishment if you've done nothing wrong. But people don't want to accept that they are abused, tortured, tormented so they pretend they deserve it and call it morality.

kaochiu

Veteran
So... yeah... a bunch of monkeys beating each other around a ladder show us how influenced we are? By who? If that's tried on humans, who will put the bananas there in the first place? Jehova?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Just substitute the bananas for money and you pretty much have the way our societies perform and control us....

Carrot and stick mentality.

(Attention Jeff Sessions' information stream... are you listening?)

This was posted on a social media platform by Ramon Granados and I felt the need to share. This information goes straight to the core reason behind resistance to ending prohibition of anything, and especially cannabis right now.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
No the Federal Reserve and The Bank of England put the bananas/money there in the first place...

*Good thread Doug.....anything that makes us think laterally is very good.

So... yeah... a bunch of monkeys beating each other around a ladder show us how influenced we are? By who? If that's tried on humans, who will put the bananas there in the first place? Jehova?

insomniac_AU

*Good thread Doug.....anything that makes us think laterally is very good.

Musicians have a great platform to do this. Anything that gets people thinking about an issue is good IMO.

TOOL - "The Pot"

Who are you to wave your finger?
You must have been out your head.
Eye hole deep in muddy waters.
You practically raised the dead.

Rob the grave to snow the cradle.
Then burn the evidence down.
Soapbox, house of cards and glass,
So don't go tossin' your stones around.

You must have been high.
You must have been high.
You must have been.

Foot in mouth and head up asshole.
So what you talkin' 'bout?
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'Til you pull it out, boy!

You must have been so high.
You must have been so high.

Steal, borrow, refer, save your shady inference.
Kangaroo done hung the juror with the innocent.

Now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo,
Got lemon juice up in your eye!
When you pissed all over my black kettle,
You must have been high, high.
You must have been high, high.

Who are you to wave your finger?
So full of it.
Eyeballs deep in muddy waters.
Fuckin' hypocrite.

Liar, lawyer, mirror, show me what's the difference?
Kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent.

Got lemon juice up in your eye, eye.
When you pissed all over my black kettle
You must've been!

So who are you to wave your finger?
Who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me?
You must have been out your mind!

Weepin' shades of indigo shed without a reason.
Weepin' shades of indigo.

Liar, lawyer, mirror for you, what's the difference?
Kangaroo be stoned. He's guilty as the government.

Got lemon juice up in your eye, eye!
Now when you pissed all over my black kettle.
You must've been high, high, high, high.

Eyeballs deep in muddy waters.
You're balls deep in muddy waters.
Ganja, please, you must have been out your mind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2F_hGwD26g

Cvh

Supermod
Would it be selfish of me to say that I like prohibition?
It gives me an ace up my sleeve in times of no money.

If all is legalised (worlwide) and big corporate takes over things, I think a pound of flower would be nearly worthless.

If you would look at a legal market like tomato farmers.
I know that the tomato farmers are strugling hard in my country and only getting pences a pound for indoor tomato's. They can not compete against each other and against the import. They work so hard and invested a lot. Big greenhouses, HPS/LED lighting, top of the line hydro setups. Pences a pound.

Or just look at the tobacco farmers. They get barely anything, big corporate runs the big shows and the government taxes the hell out of it. I don't know anybody who is growing tobacco illicit and tries to make money off it.

Here you are lucky if you get 3€/gr wholesale for your indoor flower. It's been years like this in the west-eu (without legalisation). It's not much but still a profit to be made.
It won't be long before in (non)legalised states in America it will be the same. And then the price will go down even more.
I thought there was already a thread here where people only get 1$ for a gr of legal grown flowers in legalised states.

No more profit for small scalers and only big corporate that manages the scene and make profit.

For me legalisation is a double edge sword. On one side I'm pro-legalisation on the other side it would take my ace away.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I reckon most all of us think that way mate - Risk v Reward, but if there is no risk then there is little or no reward.

insomniac_AU

Would it be selfish of me to say that I like prohibition?
It gives me an ace up my sleeve in times of no money.
Unfortunately we can't have our cake and eat it too. For me it's just about the weed not the money. It's a case of what's best for the majority of people. Fact is the majority of people who smoke cannabis don't grow it.

I don't think you have much to worry about. If alcohol and tobacco are any indication of how things will play out it will be so highly taxed and expensive for the end user there will always be a market for quality weed. In Australia tobacco taxes are so high the black market for tobacco is huge. The government has created this through their own greed. The legal big tobacco growers are getting screwed and the small importers/growers are making the money.
Weed isn't like tomatoes. The government will apply all sorts of "sin" taxes. Just my humble opinion.

Douglas.Curtis

How many people do you know, where the person's entire education about cannabis is based on other people's information? These are the monkey's who were never hosed down themselves, only pulled off the ladder by the previously trained monkeys.

Is there a word which means "fear of the stories?" Since all of the anti-cannabis rhetoric is literally just 'stories' told by people in authority? A label you can slap on a person which describes their reaction to cannabis reality. Once enough people are aware, the mere mention of the word will become quite powerful.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I can't find a word that means 'Fear of Stories' Doug, but you could use the word 'Disinformation' and/or 'Propaganda'....
How many people do you know, where the person's entire education about cannabis is based on other people's information? These are the monkey's who were never hosed down themselves, only pulled off the ladder by the previously trained monkeys.

Is there a word which means "fear of the stories?" Since all of the anti-cannabis rhetoric is literally just 'stories' told by people in authority? A label you can slap on a person which describes their reaction to cannabis reality. Once enough people are aware, the mere mention of the word will become quite powerful.

Douglas.Curtis

They're good words, I just believe they've been overused in the cannabis discussion. With all the conspiracy theory traffic the last few decades, people don't respond to them the same way.

I was thinking more along the lines of a "Trained Troglodyte?" Latin maybe?

Troglodyte = a person who is regarded as being deliberately ignorant or old-fashioned. A Trained Troglodyte would be an entity with a 'created' ignorance and trogloditic(sp) mindset.

So, a word which describes an artificial ignorance and pre-determined mindset people have been programmed with. Does that make more sense?