What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary of a hot White Rhino. 250w CFL DWC

-TheShortTexan-

Is promix basically compost? I've seen liquid promix somewhere in either anything outdoor 2018 or guerilla underground. Tycomonolith I believe posted a pic of a bottle he had. What are mycroz? Mychorrizae?? So many amateur questions lol

-TheShortTexan-

She bounces back

Everything has perked back up after the defoliation yesterday. As I said, I left only the top set of fan leaves on each stalk (that doesn't include the "emerging" set)
It has definitely made the difference with light penetration. I added a couple of SIL'S to the small plant on the right. Just to suppliment that plant a little.
picture.php

picture.php

The stretch is unreal.. but it does look taller without the fan leaves

-TheShortTexan-

Ok. Got a chance to get back in the grow room and I took the screw in leds out and added my led panel. I set it up so it would lay against the back wall and shine through the middle of the plants. I set it a little to the right hand side so maybe that little plant will pick up a little. I also vented the exhaust air of the tent out of the basement completely.
picture.php

picture.php

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Promix is a peat base soil comes in bales. It has good drainage and can com e with added beneficial bacteria aka mycrozia ( however its spelled) a good 20 sumn odd gallons of dirt probably closer to 30. Fox farm can have hot batches that may burn plants. Ive also had bags come with gnats before.but it can get the job done.those babies look good!! :tiphat:

-TheShortTexan-

Damn that seriously answered all my questions hahahaha. Thanks a million my friend. I appreciate the compliment to. If the plant on the right looked like the one on the left I'd be in great shape. I didn't even think about the way a cfl this size would light unevenly. But that led panel just the way I have it set up now has helped me big time in the past. As a primary source of lighting it won't do anything impressive. But if you'll get a cheap one and hang it like I've got it, it'll shine in through the undergrowth and solve a lot of the popcorn bud issues. Makes a difference when you grow the way I do.

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Yea I've got a friend whos crazy about the leds. Im still oldschool...1000w hps always get the job done well. But for small applications it maybe a good choice either way your doing a good job. I do want to try hydro but im a full time employee with two kids and a wife lol woe is me...

-TheShortTexan-

What I can tell is this... hydro will surpass any other if you have the time to devote to dialing it in and checking it rather frequently. I'm thinking soil or coco for those same reasons... simplicity if I could handle the heat of a hps I would definitely go that way. Maybe this winter... we will see

What I can tell is this... hydro will surpass any other if you have the time to devote to dialing it in and checking it rather frequently. I'm thinking soil or coco for those same reasons... simplicity if I could handle the heat of a hps I would definitely go that way. Maybe this winter... we will see

Yeah the coco is pretty darn good. My 3 big plants are growing in coco loco by FF.

-TheShortTexan-

Yeah the coco is pretty darn good. My 3 big plants are growing in coco loco by FF.

If I got off my ass and looked I'd probably find it, but do you have pics of those plants?? If you'll post them here or let me know where they lie in your thread I'll go scope em out and give some rep. I need all the info I can get:tiphat:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I've not used promix is along time but I think it worked ok. And yes it's got Mycorrhiza at some level. But I'm always preferred to use Ocean Forest and mix a lil mycorrhiza in it. I've never had a problem with OF burning plants. Some guys have said that but....you really don't have to feed a plant in OF for a wk or so. So I dunno if you start from seed like I did and only feed liquid seaweed for a few wks at 1/2 strength you should be fine. I've ran hundreds of strains for no problems, just watch when/what and how strong you feed that first time. But this local store I just noticed had bales of promix, didn't know until I bought a ton of just organic and done my outdoor grow with that....if I'd knew they had promix I'd have got it. But that's outdoors....if I had my choice indoors I'd take OF. Besides I put American Prde and Marine Cuisine in my soil....kinda hillbilly OF for outdoors to knock the price some.

Your plants look good tex... I wouldn't worry about that leaf burn....when your ph gets out wack a lot of things can get off on you. I'd just clean out those leaves that burned....at least trim the burn off the tips, kinda like a clone you'd trim the edges off if you don't wanna remove the whole leaf. That plants got a lot of under growth. You might wanna cut the lower set of branches some the nutes and plant starts to focus on the top were all those buds/weights gonna be. It looks good just clean out the dead looking burn/ yellow stuff if you didn't already and I promise she"ll start to look better. It just takes some time when your ph is outta wack and looks like a major salt buildup/an nutrient lock out or something when that PH issue happened. But main thing is you flushed and got your ph corrected....using distilled water is 100% the best thing a indoor grower can do if it's affordable lol....if it's not you better budget for distilled water because that was when I finally started to learn to grow was when I used good water. So many problems happen using bad water. Bad water can cause a plant the look nute burned and tons of other things. Keep it up man....keep a eye on the undergrowth. See how much very small branches you might be able to remove that's not gonna give you any buds....sometimes a few branches that very small(lower ones) is only gonna take away from the top part .

-TheShortTexan-

Thanks! I agree.. there was a LOT of salt buildup before I cleaned it out. And I trimmed all the yellow leaves. No new burned edges or yellow so I think that's what it was. Now it's just a waiting game and watching the PH

Some pics are in my album My 3 Beasts but the pics I've recently posted are not in my album and are posted on off the shelf retail screw in led to CFL comparison. I actually see one of ur post from just yesterday. My plants are just on the previous pages.

Maybe im lazy but i didnt see the side by side link. Could you post it? Tex you're rockin it bud. I tried hydro once but had next to no time to dedicate to it and lost em all. Soil takes a lil longer but my variables are way easier to mitigate.

-TheShortTexan-

Yeah WV I need to get back in there and trim up all the small branches right there on the bottom. I was nervous with trimming too much off. I gave it a good defoliation 5 days after the 12/12 switch. But with the pH issues I had in the past couple weeks as well as mixing the nutrients wrong the day before, I was afraid to take too much off at one time. I don't wanna stunt growth in the flowering stage. Also the fan leaves help buffer any nutrient imbalances as well as pH issues that I might have had. But it seems to all be ok and stable. What is the side by side link you're talking about ColoSpringbudz? Thanks for all the compliments. Fridge farmer had good results with soil and a viparspectra led. This led is not as good a light as that one. This is really helpful with supplemental light but not meant to be used as a primary light source. Didn't see any pistils yet as of yesterday. Will get some pics up later today. Fingers crossed

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Looking good man. Well after I bragged about my $13 ph meter it messed up on me. I found one cheaper almost like it. Just something to get me through harvest. Your plants look very good, do you circulate air out, and pull outside air/ or AC air back in your grow??

-TheShortTexan-

I exhaust the air from the tent with an inline fan and duct out of the basement entirely. I leave the passive air vent flap open on the tent and the cooler (77°) basement air gets sucked in that way. The thermometer said 81 when I checked today. In the winter I might add that switchable hps we were talking about to help heat the tent. But it will be unusable in the summer for me unless I air condition the tent. Which can be done. I saw a couple awesome threads on here about how to box off the seperate parts of a window unit to exhaust the hot air out and use it as a portable ac for the grow room. Will probably do that next spring

Bobby Boucher

I've tried air conditioning my 600w tents with bangers in the summer months, but ultimately I just wound up tapping into a central ac supply vent in the lung room to keep it <70f. The hotter it is outside, the cooler my tents get.

My tents still run moderately warm most of the time if the central air isn't kicking on, water around 70-72f, tent around 80-82, but once the ac kicks on the water and the rooms get cooled down to 65 and 75 degrees, respectively.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it seems to be treating me well. Pretty sweet deal for only having to partially remove an end cap from a supply vent.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I used to try to keep my indoor rooms kinda on the cool side. In the winter it would get cold up in the Great Lake region I lived in. I ran some of somas NYC diesel that turned a nice purple color...also Sensi star. I could get purple leaves all the time in late flower with the organics I used and cool temps. Not that it helped anything with the color but I rather be a lil cooler than hot