What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lighting Trip relay?

Old Toker

Here in Spain, and the UK you can buy things like these... No doubt there are US versions
I've seen the UK versions.....and now Spanish....for some reason the US seems to expect us to hardware these ourselves. Probably insurance reasons....or maybe something to do with 120v standard US household power. Hopefully one of the expensive alternatives I listed above will work.

Thanks for the info!:tiphat:

cravin morehead

Veteran
Old toker- that first one , the controller, seems to be just what you need. Can control multiple loads too. Besides price, it's a good insurance. The other 2 listed would be fine to trigger the controller. But are right on the max rating for a 1000w hid lamp.

Cm

Old Toker

..that first one , the controller, seems to be just what you need. Can control multiple loads too.
Thank you!
Sure CM....pick the most expensive one.:) However that's the price I have to pay for the inability/unwillingness to do it myself and still be safe.
Looks as though I have to hard wire a cord/plug. Thinking 10 gauge? Any suggestions for what to use?
Also....general electrical question: This device is rated for 30 amps. More than my ballast needs (10 amps) and more than the breaker (20 amps). I think my 20 amp breakers will prohibit adding another ballast to this device.....right?
My plan is to stay at 75% of the rated capacity of the breaker. Can I add 5 more amps of load (fans) on this breaker?
Thanks again for all the help!:tiphat:

cravin morehead

Veteran
You can buy a #12 appliance cord if you are under your 20amp breakers. They come in different lengths like 3' & 6 and have a male end on them already. Just need a 2 screw connector for the end to be hardwired into the box. You could use #10 if you plan to use all 30 amps. Which ever you choose, just make sure it is 3 wire cord, so it has a black(hot), white(neutral), and bare or green (ground).
As far as adding a fan, yes it should be OK. Breakers are made to trip at 80% load of their rating. So, a 20 amp breaker under normal circumstances will trip at 18 amps. That being said, the condition of your particular breaker may change that. If it's not tripped too many times in the past it'll be fine. If not they are usually really cheap, like $10. Also, your house wiring off that 20 amp breaker should be #12 . #12 wire in these circumstances is rated for up to 20 amps, so don't put in a 30amp breaker on #12 wire. It could burn the wire in the walls, or attic or wherever and start a fire. Breakers are actually made to protect the wire, not equipment plugged into that circuit

Cm

Old Toker

Breakers are actually made to protect the wire, not equipment plugged into that circuit
Got it. Thanks!
Fortunately... I recently had an electrician add three new 20 amp breakers to my panel and install a separate wall outlet for each. I already had one that the garage door was (not anymore) plugged into. Of course this was before I put up a 60"x60"x80" tent in the middle of the garage.....otherwise I could just have had him wire my ballast into the Intermatic T101 connector. Not.
Thanks again for all the help!!!:tiphat:

Old Toker

Ended up going with a T101. Evidently you just need to watch YouTube videos to learn how to wire and install one. Thanks everyone!:tiphat: