What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bubba Kush S1s: Info and grow-along

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
damn that was fast, nothing like coming home to kushing muffins, so you're going for more pollen? i was wondering why you aren't using the same from the first round but guess the s1 should be kinda inline anyway by now.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi jaymer, i did store some pollen but not that much as it was a small plant that i reversed. i used most of the stored pollen to dust the bubba that i have in flower now, it seemed to work but i went on holiday soon after the pollination so i cant be sure how many seeds i made until i harvested the plant.... this time im treating a bigger plant with 30ppm CS in order to make plenty of pollen and plenty of S1 seeds asap.
i may also make some Bubba Shush seeds to put up on the bay too. its my sharksbreath cut, fem crossed with bubba. im doing a test grow up in the test grows forum - just two plants but they are looking very promising.

VG

Primate

Beautiful looking children you have VG.

Frostyness a good sign as that shit generally covered from base to tip.

No trim even required generally. That to me is the true test of the Kush. If it's so frosty you don't need to trim it, it's probably a Kush :D

Following this thread like a hawk. Love the CS work peeps are doing.

Good work.

:)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey primate i know what you mean. i actually like the sugar leaf of kushes to smoke. it mixes well with the bud like a bit of tobacco in a joint and tastes lovely to smoke.

yeah they're frosting up nice and early.

im desperate to know if my latest pollination attempt was successful... got a big pre98 plant that i dusted before i went away but its hard to be sure there are seeds in there as the buds grew some more whilst i was away. there could be loads of seeds in the middle of the buds or none at all. that said im days away from flipping a fresh cut and reversing it - been spraying with CS for a few days now.
ivw also got a couple of pre-98 bubba plants vegging up to dust with the pollen, so there is an ongoing situation here and more seeds will be along sooner or later.

meanwhile if anyone is growing out the S1s thet they snagged on the first drop it would be lovely to see or hear about them

VG

Primate

Haven't done a seed crop myself. But a close, well seasoned, friend of mine, recommended over maturing the plant by a couple a weeks, like 2-3 just to ensure maturation of the seeds.

Also ended up being the nicest strongest best smelling flowers yet.

The 2 cents of a Primate :p

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks primate, yeah i'll let it go till 9-10 weeks at least.

right we are at about 4 weeks and here are some more pics of the S1's. poor pics but they are looking and smelling good. its been very hot here so a bit of heat stress but they dont seem to be suffering too much

plant 2
picture.php

plant 3
picture.php

plant4
picture.php

picture.php

cheers

VG

A

Alfred

They look similar to the parent, i think?

Some people say that S1s are crummy, but from most of what i have seen they seem to be a good enough copy of the parent.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alfred, yeah i think they are fairly uniform and fairly close to the bubba cut... so far. obviously the bubba cut is a mature clone that will grow differently from a seed plant. these look a bit 'deep chunk' like to me and ive heard it said that the bubba is genetically close to that... but they look like a pheno of DC that you may spend a long time looking for!

the success of S1s and whether they uniformly resemble the P1 (parent plant ) depends entirely on how treu-breeding the parent is. Bubba by all accounts breeds fairly true for many traits and so i thought making S1s might be a good call.
making S1s of some multi hybrid elite clone would not work so well.

hey RD -yeah it doesnt get hot in UK often enough to be prepared for it ;) i find that if you keep the air moving and use stable genetics (**touch wood**) that you can get away with a fair bit.

VG

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Nice VG...very nice.

I have some Chem '91 Skunk Va S1's that I'm itching to get started and find reading your explorations into the selfing of the bubba very interesting...

...keep it up!

They look similar to the parent, i think?

Some people say that S1s are crummy, but from most of what i have seen they seem to be a good enough copy of the parent.

I grew out Bubba pre98 s1's from another breeder a few years back, and of all the seeds I've gone through the pre98 s1's were the best seed representation of a clone only strain...I will take an s1 over a backcross, incross, or ibl all day long.

Should be noted that this same breeder re released Bubba s1's a year or two later but used a different technique to make the seeds and had sub-par results on the 2nd version...but Verdant's are looking legit just like the first batch of s1's I grew out....

I sure miss me some real Bubba, in my opinion it is the best tasting, best smelling and best looking strain in the world...with a very heavy indica stone.

I will certainly be trying to score a couple packs on the next drop.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hummus monk - thanks! - good luck with your chem S1s - i'll be interested in seeing how they come out.

J.G - thats great to hear! - yeah from all i read, the bubba breeds fairly true, so i thought S1s would be a good bet. first off my intention was just to make some for myself to back up the genetics... but getting the bubba to reverse was quite a lot of work and i thought i may as well make as many seeds as possible, and now, after they have proved popular, im desparately trying to make some more! i fear that the plant i have nearly ready may not have seeds in the buds, i cant see any but that may be because i pollinated early and the buds kept growing afterwards... having said that i have another plant reversing that has been in flower for about a week, using exactly the same method as before - just a bigger plant. i also have a couple of bubba plants vegging up to pollinate for seeds, so if all goes well there will be a decent amount of seeds in 2-3 months, and with luck there could be some in a couple of weeks, but dont hold your breath for those!

VG

Great stuff VG, i'm waiting on your next batch of S1's..
I grew Reef's S1's years ago and you can get elite standard in them!
Bubba Kush is great med's 2! Fine example of some the very best Afghan Kush..
Yours look fantastic, well done fella!
:)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
luv a grow, thanks for the good feedback - yeah its been very interesting growing out these S1s... really helps you understand the progeny of a plant - and even more so if i have grown a few more ;)

45 king - hopefully that will be soon!

got some more pics, looking more bubba like every day!, and i would say they all smell pretty bubba like, some a little more earthy, some more aromatic.

at around or coming up to 6 weeks i think - some are purpling up, not because of any cold though... its been hot. in fact these plants have been fairly well stress tested i would say. they were all squeezed into a square foot until a week or so ago!

plant 2 -
picture.php

picture.php

side bud, pleased with this shot
picture.php

:dance013:

A

Alfred

Looks very nice Verdant.

I managed to snaffle some when they were first available. :)