What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Unusual Smells Have You Experienced And From What Strain?

igrowone

Veteran
it all smells strange to me, the odors are literally legion
my favourite weird so far
garbage can, smelled like a dumpster, a PPP pheno
years ago did my share of whipping trash cans at a campsite, some smells stick with you
and it didn't taste bad at all, go figure

Maple_Flail

eh, Found a pheno of Black Diamond that smelled like wine, specifically well aged port.

normally this stuff smell like different variations of purpleish kushie stuff

that was the good.. then there is this cbd mango haze that constantly smells like burned organic tree rubber

neither were expected at all...

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I was gifted a strain with the label "kt1". It was very sativa leaved with big airy buds. It smelled like the herb called Cat Thyme.

Mohadib

Veteran
Just a few days ago, I harvested a plant that smells like burnt firecrackers and celery. Really unsexy! Fortunately it tastes much better, like after shave, OG and hints of citric fruits, and the high is phenomenal.:dance:

Sasati

Sensi Big Bud smells like a pile of compost. Not in a good way. It tastes good and high is nice, but the smell not so much.

beta

Veteran
I once grew out a cross of Lisa Marie x HTC Skunk IBL that smelled and tasted exactly like polyester.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Golden Goat filled the room with an incense smell. I have been chasing that smell for years now.

Mohadib

Veteran
Golden Goat filled the room with an incense smell. I have been chasing that smell for years now.

That (indeed very nice) incense smell is a trait you often find in haze-hybrids. One way is to buy a pack of let's say Super Silver Haze, either from Green House Seeds of Mr. Nice, and search for what you're looking for.

Alternatively, you might want to try out Chimeras 'Incense Haze'-crosses, that are specifically bred to carry that smell.

Check out the link below, maybe you'll get some inspiration for your quest ;)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=340052

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Chocolate from an F1 back cross.

The F1 was result of a cross of bag seed from 1979 to
Southern Lights, NYC Diesel (mother) x Sensi Star (father), P1.

Open pollination, then selected females hit with the male P1.

My selection is for cherry, which I have in my hand all day,
mostly from the F2 lines.

The chocolate was a surprise, still in flower, haven't smoked it yet.

I also have a thunk cross with that P1 that is root beer, lol.

Inhouse 00gkush Breath smells like old man breath
Platinum Silk smelled of moth balls and sour d ish
Sophie’s Breath had that old man breath with the fuely profile of cherry pie. Sometimes gross while growing

WelderDan

Veteran
I had an Afghani #1 x Hash Plant that smelled of rotting meat/garbage. It was stupid potent but nasty. Gave all of it away.

Had an LUI x Blue Moonshine that smelled of camphor/Vicks Vape-0-rub

Sailormoses

RD's Blue Ox, straight up cat piss / litter box. Had to move the bed and the clothes out of the bedroom where the tent was. I could smell it on my clothes at work. Made killer medibles

therevverend

Veteran
A Hawaiian guy at a hot spring gave me three weak looking little brown seeds. He said they would be killer.
Only one sprouted. The plant was finnicky and grew slowly. When it finished it turned so purple it was black. It had orange hairs and was loaded with greenish colored crystals. There was something very Haloweeny about it.
The plant smelled and tasted very strongly of Hawaiian Punch drink. So much so that people I smoked out with thought the growers had flushed it with Hawaiian Punch during flowering. Wonderful mellow happy high. The fruitiness was incredible so good to smoke. Maybe my favorite pot ever.
The old fruit strains were great. Often purpilish they were very sweet. The Hawaiian Punch was one example but the Californian ones were nice. Plum, apple, mango, various fruit flavors many like the artifical candy or soda fruit flavors.
Don't see those strains any more I wonder what happened to them. I know hydro growers didn't appreciate them because they don't taste fruity in chemicals. The yield wasn't as good as other plants and they could be hard to clone. Still amazed they aren't still around.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Out of everything that I have grown, Bodhi's Black Raspberry (Goji OG Raspberry F2 x Wookie 15) produced some of the most disgusting smelling plants, like a 200 year old Chewbacca's duck butter... Haha It was not skunky but more foul and off-putting.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
A Hawaiian guy at a hot spring gave me three weak looking little brown seeds. He said they would be killer.
Only one sprouted. The plant was finnicky and grew slowly. When it finished it turned so purple it was black. It had orange hairs and was loaded with greenish colored crystals. There was something very Haloweeny about it.
The plant smelled and tasted very strongly of Hawaiian Punch drink. So much so that people I smoked out with thought the growers had flushed it with Hawaiian Punch during flowering. Wonderful mellow happy high. The fruitiness was incredible so good to smoke. Maybe my favorite pot ever.
The old fruit strains were great. Often purpilish they were very sweet. The Hawaiian Punch was one example but the Californian ones were nice. Plum, apple, mango, various fruit flavors many like the artifical candy or soda fruit flavors.
Don't see those strains any more I wonder what happened to them. I know hydro growers didn't appreciate them because they don't taste fruity in chemicals. The yield wasn't as good as other plants and they could be hard to clone. Still amazed they aren't still around.

I have some old Hawian seeds that put out a few plants exactly like that but they Hermed up on me inside 3x did good outside... only got a handful left gotta see if I can get more...

GoatCheese

Veteran
Chunky Cheese (UK Cheese x Deep Chunk) from Cannacopia has strange aromas. My keeper smells like rotting carbage bag/fart when flowering, also skunky and notes of coffee.

This Ortega pheno of Sensi's Black Domina has hashy, peach-y gingerbread cookie aroma. It also has notes of green apple in it while flowering.

picture.php

I grew DNA Genetics Florida OG ( 2 very similar phenos, super stable s1 line for anyone who is curious.) in my previous go-around the sun, and after a proper whole plant hang and 2 month jar cure ive pulled a weird ass dog food OG terp off of her. lol. hard as fuck to explain..and I don't know how else to describe it.. its still dank and super enjoyable to smoke!!!make no mistake, it is not an unsavory offering...Haha but kind of unexpected from an alleged TK s1 (heavily insinuated as, yet unverified by DNA.) seed plant. It grew and flowered beautifully... fat, dense buds. just a weird terp profile. I suspect a heavy, heavy caryophyllene, pinene and nerolidol mash up for the most part... imagine dumping motor oil over Fido's kibble and then letting it sit in the sun for a week beside your stanky garbage can. lol. its one of the cheaper options from their gear but I would say its worth growing one or 2 times just to show your friends/patients something different and fun. its got a nice heady body effect too. I like smoking it in fat ass bats when I go for walks in the park. yields beautiful extracts too. almost looks like actual honey. I took mine 63 days under led and would consider it twice haha.

peace IC friends. keep on them weird terp profiles !!!!!!!

edit: I just did a fat nectar collector dab of my sappy Florida OG rosin, and it has a crazy black licorice back end!!! almost like one of those old licorice pipes or cigars!!! I did my dab like 8 mins ago and I can still taste it!

Last edited: