What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have gained enough respect for you to not troll for fun anymore. So I promise it won’t be that kinda interesting

Is that top leaf?

So tell me how I am doing. You have most excellent P numbers so very little larf and high quality. No foxtailing

Probably high on Mg. I find 0.4% to be the point where top and bottom leaf equalize

You have enough K. More than enough ???

How you get that P in there with all that Ca? Ima little jealous

Read them again...

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No woo woo here folks... day 21.

Attachments

• IMG_20180617_212222_945.jpg
    IMG_20180617_212222_945.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180616_170603.jpg
    20180616_170603.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 11

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What medium is that in and is it organic or chem? Good soil with high P from the start?

Looks like a nice run.

The mix is an old organic hodgepodge of chunky coco, peat, worm castings, compost, etc.. had to wash the hell out of it and balance it out. Quite the chore.

After washing, it was amended correctly and we have been chasing high K and Na from the get go. Chemically free yet has some synthetic ferts like MAP, CaN, KN and P acid.

Mainly used a good fish amino acid product for N though, this allows no more than 30% synthetic N at any given time. Fish Fertilizer 12.2-1.5-1.3 on Amazon.

growingcrazy

This is why I am still pushing to get an organic method into commercial scale production. Doing so without the headaches and labor increase. My eyes have told me for years that no other method will get P and Ca into a plant like a soil based medium. Now it seems that from those replies, my hunch was correct.

Coco will have you continually chasing your tail to get P into the plant adequately. That is, unless you run something like straight P acid as your main source. The math over the long run, time and time again puts soil ahead. If the system is designed correctly, soil will outpace coco, chem or organic. I don't think anyone is spending the money up front to wash and balance coco properly just to be tossed after a run. Maybe then proper uptake could be achieved?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is why I am still pushing to get an organic method into commercial scale production. Doing so without the headaches and labor increase. My eyes have told me for years that no other method will get P and Ca into a plant like a soil based medium. Now it seems that from those replies, my hunch was correct.

Coco will have you continually chasing your tail to get P into the plant adequately. That is, unless you run something like straight P acid as your main source. The math over the long run, time and time again puts soil ahead. If the system is designed correctly, soil will outpace coco, chem or organic. I don't think anyone is spending the money up front to wash and balance coco properly just to be tossed after a run. Maybe then proper uptake could be achieved?

Got some leaf analysis in at Logan from rock wool. Let's see how far we have gotten so far!

jidoka

So I can’t figure out how to make it visible. But here is top leaf at 21 days.
%
Nitrate only. 0.016
P 0.41
K 2.88
Ca 3.41
Mg. 0.55

Ppm
B. 52
Cu. 5.6
Fe. 73
Mn. 178
Si. 1523
S. 1588
Zn. 69
Mo < 1
Al. 22

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The leaf that I recommend to take is the third oldest ADULT leaf, counting from the growing point backwards. These are fan leaves.

In the agronomic world, most folks look at new growth when they take leaf samples. That seems to get us no where. The reason is simple. Translocation. Nearly everything that new leaf needs is supplied constantly from a multiple of sources. What we really want to know, long before those new leaves become deficient, is inventory.

This means looking at the correct leaf that is now in a donor position. If it is jam packed full of nutrients and in the correct proportion, the new leaves are most often going to be just fine.

jidoka

That is the top one I get...3rd down. Then I compare it to lower leaf on elements that do translocation.

I will show another place later. They literally have half the yield...a lot of it environment but that do effect takeup

jidoka

And btw...not reusing coco is a pet peeve. It don’t get right til the 3rd grow. Cl straight fucks with P uptake

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
And btw...not reusing coco is a pet peeve. It don’t get right til the 3rd grow. Cl straight fucks with P uptake

Those foliar samples were at day 21 in flower. The old mix was cut with 50% big chunk coco that was brand new. The stuff had 700 ppm of Na. Took quite a bit of soaking and washing to get it down to 200 ppms or so. Lots of water. A little gyp helped.

With P, I like to practice a modified Conradie/Tiedjens/Reams strategy. All begins of course with Ca and P, getting Mg and Na under control and feeding correctly. These plants are water and fed 5 to 7 times per day. That is the beauty of a light mix. The downside is a lot of water and fertilizer going to the drain.

That gives the ability to literally micro manage where I think that plant should be. Balancing low N and using the concepts of Reams to apply the correct form of N.

The addition of the correct seaweed hormones at the right time help a lot too. Sort of like a turbo.

growingcrazy

So I can’t figure out how to make it visible. But here is top leaf at 21 days.
%
Nitrate only. 0.016
P 0.41
K 2.88
Ca 3.41
Mg. 0.55

Ppm
B. 52
Cu. 5.6
Fe. 73
Mn. 178
Si. 1523