What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Repuk 3d Take on Stealth Grow: Garden Shed

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Girls look healthy and started gaining height, so flipped to 12/12 on Dec 3d -> 4th.

Have run Mandala in the past and most of their plants have incredible hybrid vigour, so don't want to have height problems.

attachment.php

Some plants, specially one Kalichakra is showing purple on new leaves growth (leaves are equally green when grown), guess is sort of cold temps shock?

Temps have gone down, and tent hovered from 9-17 degrees, so sourcing a tube heater to compensate as cold will only increase from now on.

Will repot confirmed girls to bigger 3.2L pots. Setting up the blumat next, feeding them twice fails short for the grow pace now.

Attachments

• _MG_3808.jpg
    _MG_3808.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 51

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Heater tube came in and so it went inside of the tent... Temperature ranges at "day" didn't change. Let's see if it raises from those 9C after 24h (night temps).

Thinking two approaches to raise temps inside the tent:

a) control tube heater/extraction using a temp controller
b) if it doesn't cut it (not enough air exchange) thinking on simply uncooling the hood and controlling only heater tube activation depending on temps.

Will possibly go with b) as I want to hit the girls with as much light and heat possible, sativas need some stimulation to resinate :biggrin:

Plants are thriving :) meaty pretty lime-lush green leaves I recall from Mandala, makes you want to take a bite!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Males got culled, and girls (Kalichakra #3, Krystallica #1,#2,#3, and Beyond the Brain #1 and #2) got repotted to 3.2L square pots.

All but Kalichakra (which surprisingly is the tallest of them all, but have a less crammed root system) built good and healthy root-balls:

Sorry for the picture, but there's no room at the shed to properly frame them all, pic was taken this morning (they were thirsty, transplant shock was unexistant, "Transplant thriving" would be a better term) they grow almost an inch per day.

Day 10 at flower:

Tip for taking photographs with "real" colors under HPS: also use a flash, then set color temperature to 2200K later on your photo editing software. The two latest tent photos were taken this way. You may need to steer color balance from green to magenta a tiny touch afterwards. Colors are 100% spot on.

Both Beyond the Brain (tent bottom center BB#2, BB#1 at leftmost top) girls are amongst the biggest, more vigorous and tallest ones, apart from Kalichakra (center) which is the tallest of the bunch. Hope to come across the monster BB pheno! They're about 50cm/20" tall.

Krystallica #1 and #3 are the stockiest and their leaves have the darkest green (front left and right).

Fed 60/40 rain/tap, EC to 1.2-1.4, PH 5.8.

Just fed them with PH'ed Rhizotonic + B52 at EC0.7.

I still see the occasional white fly around, but girls seem inmune to them, the neem feeds I gave them may have something to do.

Attachments

• IMG_3869-root.jpg
    IMG_3869-root.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 56
  • _MG_3809.jpg
    _MG_3809.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Phew... BB #2 had stretched three inches+ in 24 hours becoming the tallest, so supercropped the next to last internode, leaving the tip (ouuuuch) bent 90 degrees.

Kalichakra has also stretched a lot, though not as impressive. Has a woodier (and purple stripped, dank-smelling) stem, supercropped it on two next to last internodes but it kept straight.

Have like 30cm/12" room free till the light hood.

Krystallicas didn't stretch too much (they're half tall), they're stouter and darker green.

Took micro-cuts from lowest branches of everyone but the Ice cool, which looks like it were on its 4th or 5th flowering week. I know, two weeks into flower... I'm confident these Mandala's have more than enough vigour to reveg and root... we'll see.

Noticed BB #2 natural grow pattern (previous to supercropping) is typical chandelier-like, throwing lots of growth on lowest shoots to "level-up" with the top.

Today was impossible to frame a photo inside (would cut the tips), will look for a wider angle lens or camera.

Next : setting up blumats.

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Hello mushroombrew, thanks for dropping by!

I'm using a Adwa AD14 digital PH-Meter.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Just fed the girls, collecting the runoff and measuring it afterwards: EC1.1 and PH 6.1, so everything looks fine and dandy.

BB #2 tip didn't manage to straighten up, and now the plant tip has an U shape. Side shoots reaching for the top are really noticeable. It seems to have slowed down the stretch thankfully...

The girls seem to be eating and growing a lot, all of them have water roots already showing from the pots bottom.

Need to install blumats ASAP... using small pots with coco helps managing tent humidity, but need the blumats for pots to be kept at optimal moisture so that pot size doesn't impact plant development.

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Pics as promised

Pics as promised

I took a 10-22 lens and after some processing (I'm afraid I went too far w/ sharpening) here's the promised pics.

This is day 14 in flower.

I'm willing to hear all input, and/or opinions recognizing pheno's for those who know. :tiphat:

A picture with similar camera angle to have a reference in growth:

From top to bottom, left to right of the picture: Bottom row: Kalichakra, BB #2, Ice Cool; mid row: Krystallica #2, BB #1; front row: Krystallica #1, Krystallica #3

Angle corrected to frame the tallest:

Ice cool is on its corner doing its thing.. Krystallicas are almost clones from each other, but one (#3) for the odd deformation and its darker green tone (righmost front corner).

Liking the growth pattern on both the Kalichakra and BB #2.

Kalichakra (leftmost bottom corner) and Beyond the Brain #2 (at its side)

The difference in height wasn't that dramatic prior to the somehow extreme supercropping, BB #2 was the tallest.

Leftmost nearer corner: Krystallyca #1.

Attachments

• _MG_3811.jpg
    _MG_3811.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_3813.jpg
    _MG_3813.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 43
  • _MG_3819.jpg
    _MG_3819.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 32
  • _MG_3817.jpg
    _MG_3817.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 43
  • _MG_3823.jpg
    _MG_3823.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_3812.jpg
    _MG_3812.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_3822.jpg
    _MG_3822.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Kalichakra

I like its good vertical vs horizontal distribution, well proportioned Pyramid shape growth, on the "pointy" side.

Lower shoots look for, and naturaly position itselves at shadow-free spots, saving volume while allowing for optimal aireation; optimal for indoors!.

Horizontal shot:

Cenital (angled slightly in order to "see through" the stems) shot:

(Funny effect the mix of HPS lightning vs pure fill-in flash on leaves color, the most natural)

Beyond the Brain #2

Horizontal shot

Notice the "U" shaped top that became secondary, her original height was over the Kalichakra but went a little brutal while supercropping.

What I like is how side shoots stretch to reach for the top, on a chandelier-like shape; this happened before supercropping, and hope to enhance it even more with SC.

Good node/leaf/internode distance proportions... if each side shoot becomes a "main cola" of sorts as pictures of the monster pheno depicted on Mandala BB page show, I'd found a keeper definitely... nice distribution to keep things airy-spaced-out for better and homogeneous airflow and light penetration indoors.

Cenital shot:

BB #1 Is basically a stouter BB #2 version, with maybe less than optimal leaf/internode distribution showing less vigor (so far, I keep in mind the "surprise" factor they describe on the strain page).

Colors are basically how you'd see them while inside the tent. Flash helps normalizing things but sometimes adds a darker green color than in reality; girls green (but the Ice Cool) is the same healthy, lime-like lush green I recall when first growing Mandala`s back in 2008/9.

This is day 14 of flower.

I'm following the same principle I followed when first growing in coir and manually feeding: ensure I fed at least 1/3d of the volume through the pot, i.e. I make sure I fed 1L to each 3.2L pot regardless of the runoff, my reasoning being we're not watering, but feeding them. So far working really fine as in the past. I ocassionally pour a little epsom salts when feeding 70/30 rain/tap water (every 3 to four feedings). Keep EC on 1.3, 1.5 Max once in the past when using only tap as the girls seemed to demand it.

Photos were taken prior to lights out; it may appear they have "claw leaves" but it's just need for water; at lights on leaves appear "ironed out".

I am sure having the blumats early on would speed up growth even more... but being the first time I grow in this space, and even knowing Kalichakra having been refined, I seriously still respect Mandala vigour, and didn't want to risk a crowded flower tent, so anything on my hand to "modulate" the stretch was/is more than welcomed. So... kind of measured negligence of sorts; will only set clones with blumat since day one of 12/12, on seedlings I prefer hand-feeding to get a better grasp on the strain.

However, 24 h between feedings won't cut it soon, need to set up blumats and reservoir. Wondering on how long do they keep stretching up? until week 4th?

Looking for the Crees and heatsinks to build the Cree COBs (1x 40W on each corner)... I have them somewhere...

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Propped the light hood slightly higher, raised the circulation fan power (stems on the too-soft side) and fed the girls.

Today they seemed less thirsty, pic taken about 1hour prior to lights off:

Leaves "ironed out". Some curl downwards on previous pictures, but that was due to wall proximity while in the tent or during pot manipulation, no claws due to overfeeding.

Thanks for passing by Chaos! :tiphat: Blumat comes next, sensors already in water, reservoir and line soaking on bleached water for a good disinfectation and cleansing.

Thinking on setting this 25L reservoir as "raised" auxiliary one, with another, bigger one as main at floor level with a pump. (ala Desert Hydro's)

Deciding if using a float valve, or connect a hose high on the elevated reservoir to the floor one as "return" or "overflow" line.

Main reservoir will be periodically or constantly pumping water to the elevated one, water higher than return hose will go back to main reservoir.

From experience, the only requisite is moving and mixing the solution, no need for airstones or alike.

Attachments

• _MG_3824.jpg
    _MG_3824.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
The leaf movement is always interesting, if you follow sativa engineering on IG, he posts some really interesting time lapse videos that show their daily movements.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Whoa! impressive! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz4nm4ZfCbA

thanks for the tip! reeeally interesting.

I think is a must for a grower, learning to understand the girls "body language".

Blumat deployed today but not active yet: lines fitted, temporary 25L/6Gal reservoir placed, and sensors "installed" on the pots... it was hard actually to push them in but in the Krystallicas, coir on pots felt like rockwool (massive root balls)!

Thinking on making a custom cylindrical reservoir out of 300mm PVC pipe, as a 1 meter one = 70L/ 18Gal, and its shape will make optimal use of available space inside the shed; its shape will also help keeping pressure on the water lines.

Tomorrow I'll double check the sensors are full of water inside (a must to properly set them up), then setup them. Need to sort out a couple issues first with the Online PH/EC meter I use to dose the nutes in the reservoir.

Krystallicas stretched enough to be noticeable, Kalichakra looks like it will need some more supercropping soon, and BB #2 side shoots are stretching nicely and looks like the fastest on budsite development.

Not roots on clones yet (had to use rockwool cubes almost two inches in size), but noticed they're no longer soft and remain erect when I fan them (couple times per day) now, so guess in a couple days we'll have roots!

Will take pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
As promised:

General view (perceived sizes are thrown off by the perspective of the superwide angle lens). Krystallicas have stretched about 3 inches:

Budsite on BB #1 (they'll be three weeks in flower next Sunday)

I found really curious how this Kalichakra internodes bulge out, pre-flowers get kind of "phagocyted" by the bulging at the internodes:

The main stem bulge above it is due to supercropping.

Attachments

• _MG_3829.jpg
    _MG_3829.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_3836.jpg
    _MG_3836.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 44
  • _MG_3835.jpg
    _MG_3835.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_3834.jpg
    _MG_3834.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_3831.jpg
    _MG_3831.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 37
  • _MG_3828.jpg
    _MG_3828.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Blumats

Blumats

Reference: see My experience setting blumats and Blumats Install schematic .

I set it up in the same fashion:

Reservoir (sits at about 90cm height). Vertical venting line, and shutoff valve. 8mm line runs into the tent, where is joined to the final line part with a pneumatic quick release connector.

This shutoff valve is really useful, in order to close it while mixing a res, or in case one wants to detach the line portion coming from the res from the line distribution part inside the tent.

Quick release connector on the right (white cylinder, picture from a previous grow, now this connector joins the line coming from the res with the distribution end of the line, which is inside the tent)
picture.php

Main line distribution end. Built using short blumat 8mm hard tubing pieces inter-joining 8/3/8mm Tees. Soft rubber 3mm lines go from the tees to each blumat sensor.

This allows each tee to be orientated at will by rotating it, making easier to route 3mm lines towards their pot, proping it in order to prevent from pinching.

Main line ends on another shutoff valve: this one is handy to purge air from the line, or to manually water a given pot prior to setting its blumat sensor.

HeadyBlunts posted a very nice drawing that speaks for itself, only thing missing is the shutoff valve after the venting Tee:

picture.php

Sensor placement tips:

Place the sensor at about half an inch from the pot rim, run the 3mm tubing coming from the main line through the sensor, crossing the pot and leaving its end at a similar distance from the opposite pot edge, as depicted in the photo.

This is important too, as the dripping has to moisture all the pot to reach the sensor, allowing for an homogeneous, full pot nute solution distribution through the whole pot before the blumat sensor shuts off the dripping.

Tips:

- Coco/Soil should be properly packed so that capilarity is homogeneous on the whole pot.

- Don't grab the blumats from the dark green cap when inserting them into the pots, as the thread is soft plastic and vertically pushing it can cross-thread it losing airtightness, which is essential for proper sensor performance.

- There's no need to insert the ceramic sensors past their ceramic body. This allows for easier inspection/refilling the sensor innards with water and prevents dirt from failing inside if they need to be refilled (shouldn't, as long as you don't let any port to become dry, or the res to go (almost) empty).

- Sensors should be full of water

- Sensor caps should be screwed air-tight. Be gentle as threads are soft plastic.

- 3mm tubing dripping end should not touch the soil/coco. Use anything to prop them (blumat 8mm spike shown in the photo)

- Blumats in tents: Study what your optimal pot positioning will be on the tent prior to insert the sensors on the pots. Position the sensors/3mm dripping tubing ends so that you can easily see if they're dripping or not by looking under the canopy, and being also easy to reach for a given sensor knob readjusting.

Attachments

• _MG_3832.jpg
    _MG_3832.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
How Do Blumats Work / Parts List

How Do Blumats Work / Parts List

Nice video showing how the combinated osmosis / vacuum effect on the ceramic "carrots" sense humidity and control dripping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVeaOJh_DFY

Parts List:

- 1x Thru-hull connector (P/N 03023)
- 2x Shutoff Valves (P/N 320102)
- N units of standalone blumat sensors w/o tees nor 3mm tubing (P/N 35101)
- N units (one per sensor) 8/3/8mm tees (P/N 3517)
- 1x 8/8/8mm tee (venting line) (P/N 3516)
- 8mm tubing (10meter rolls P/N: Black: 30405 White: 30504)
- 3mm tubing: calculate 1meter/40in per each sensor (P/N 3508)
- Spikes for 3mm tubing ends (P/N 4305)
- Quick release pneumatic connector for 8mm tubing

Pictures follow:

1x Thru-hull connector (P/N 03023)

2x Shutoff Valves (P/N 320102)

- N standalone blumat sensors w/o tees nor 3mm tubing (P/N 35101)

- N x 8/3/8mm tees (P/N 3517)

- 1x 8/8/8mm tee (venting line) (P/N 3516)

- 8mm tubing (10meter rolls P/N: Black: 30405 White: 30504)

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2017-12-22 a la(s) 15.10.17.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2017-12-22 a la(s) 15.10.17.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-12-22 a la(s) 15.10.54.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2017-12-22 a la(s) 15.10.54.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-12-22 a la(s) 15.11.19.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2017-12-22 a la(s) 15.11.19.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
- 3mm tubing: calculate 1meter/40in per each sensor (P/N 3508)

- Spikes for 3mm tubing ends (P/N 4305)

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Girls growth have exploded thanks to the blumats. Yesterday 3d flowering week was over. Budsites and fan leaves starting to show hints of frost.

Found a custom water reservoir shop at nearby town, will ask for a budget as big PVC pipes doesn't seem to be cheap. This reservoir should allow for a couple weeks unnatended feed, so should be > 60 liters / 15 Gallons, will feed the flowering room, and possibly a second veg chamber I'm considering to build.

The idea is putting blumats on bonsai moms, feeding some from the flowering (higher EC) res when growing them for cuts, and having a small secondary reservoir with a low EC to keep rest of moms in "standby".

Current crop should be around mid February a week, maybe couple weeks, give or take.

Thinking on what would be the best approach for starting some ACE and Mandala seeds in advance for the next run without running into size problems.

Considering sowing them with three weeks advance, allowing them to reach their 4th internode, topping them to have a cut prior to moving the seedlings to the flower chamber.

If my math is right, this would be by 3d week of January.

On the other hand, seeing the jungle I have right now at the flowering tent, I'm considering flowering only cuts. It would help to keep the tent from crowding, and allow to run a greater variety of strains / phenos.

Advice is welcome!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Took an overall shot before lights went down today.

Welcome to the Jungle... remember perspective, sizes and perceived relative distance is severely "warped" due to the super wide angle.

Kalichakra (far left) had outgrown past the light hood, so applied some crunch and bend to better position its main cola tip horizontally under the hood.

BB #2 (far center) main top was millimeters from the hood too, so I raised the hood to maximum height, gaining about 4 inches and providing better canopy coverage. Did some crunch + bend on some BB #2 side shoots to position them on well lit free spots.

Both Kalichakra and BB #2 clones have already rooted. Liking these. Outstanding vigorous plants.

Krystalica's growing pace is different, more on the late side, felt like "delayed" versus the others, but still they had grown almost double from their initial size since flowering started.

Krystalica #1 and #2 (front row left and right) look like twins, whereas #3, the greener one (tent center: being the stouter, got the central spot under the HPS) has developed a different growing pattern, new leaf shoots are curled downwards along the leaf finger axis. Leaves look different, and a plethora of budsites developed on a horizontal, circular pattern around main cola... maybe C pheno??

All of them are much leafier than Kalichakra or BB, with really tight internodes. Should make a nice plant for space-restricted micro grows, some minor LST look really suitable to achieve an horizontal canopy full of budsites.

Will take detail shots next time.

Attachments

• _MG_3839.jpg
    _MG_3839.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
COBs located...

COBs located...

Finally, I found the COBs (Cree CXA3070 3000K AB), the driver (MeanWell HLG-185H-c1050A, 95-190V@200W) and the Artic Alpine GT11 rev2 heatsinks.

My idea back when purchased this was to setup 4x CXA3070 (around 150V) at around 35W, about 5000 lumens per COB, 20000 additional lumens.

I'm concerned however regarding canopy distance, seeing how my HML using 10W chips cooked the plants unless they were at more than 12"/30cm.

Driver is dimmable, so that will provide more control.

Attachments

• IMG_3895r.jpg
    IMG_3895r.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 40