What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting?

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Wow,... that's a totally different method of grafting then I'm using for sure! :tiphat:

Either of you two got any pics of that?

T

TurboFish

no pics sorry. either method wroks. the grafting a cut onto a mother is my favorite method.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
well, that was less than satisfying. :frown:

Sunny,... you got anything?..... NoReason?

Like I said,...

bear in mind I'm not the first to try this stuff, and in all reality I'm just a schmuck with a green thumb and some dumb luck who's hacking away at this growing my own stuff as best as I can.

I'm NOT a botanist, but I play one on the interwebs! ;)

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the technique described, so I tried to search some images but I can't find any.

Today I'll ask to one of my friend,maybe he know, and I'll post more info or picture if I have any ;)

:wave:

dieselbyrd

hey Canisw do you think a graft coud take even if the cutting has been refrigerated for 8 weeks(like for cryo freezing a clone)

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Grafting is very easy but you must be patient and take your time. One plant may not like grafting to the other you just never know till you try it . Some love it others don't. You can use green garden tie and gently cut and tie the cut stem together as you must already know and this is really a timing thing with cannabis and she needs to be pretty strong and ready for this so feed her vit B and whatever nutes you may have and make sure all is well. If you have done LST then you know about bending the branch till it can't bend anymore. I hope it works out for you and read the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin this has some interesting outcomes lol peace out Headband707

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Canniwhatsis I found the name of the technique we was talking about.I'm not sure if it's the correct name in English...anyhow I know its name in Italian is '' approximation graft '' or '' fake graft ''

This picture should explain better....

innesto_approssimazione.JPG

Some more images in this link

Keep us informed on your work ;)

ps: do you know how some bonsai growers '' create '' such strange shape in their little trees? Simply use this technique with only one plant.Bending a branch and grafting it on another stem :)

dsc0097g.jpg

pps: Just discover that this fake grafting is used to change the root mass from a plant that is suffering.
example: If an old lemon tree is suffering at roots level,I can take a young and vigorous lemon tree, plant it near the old one,and after some time start the grafting.
After some more time (don't now how much) the stem of the old lemon tree can be cut and the root mass removed.
So the old lemon tree is still there, but with a young and strong roots :)

Last edited:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Canniwhatsis I found the name of the technique we was talking about.I'm not sure if it's the correct name in English...anyhow I know its name in Italian is '' approximation graft '' or '' fake graft ''

This picture should explain better....

innesto_approssimazione.JPG

Some more images in this link

Keep us informed on your work ;)

ps: do you know how some bonsai growers '' create '' such strange shape in their little trees? Simply use this technique with only one plant.Bending a branch and grafting it on another stem :)

dsc0097g.jpg

pps: Just discover that this fake grafting is used to change the root mass from a plant that is suffering.
example: If an old lemon tree is suffering at roots level,I can take a young and vigorous lemon tree, plant it near the old one,and after some time start the grafting.
After some more time (don't now how much) the stem of the old lemon tree can be cut and the root mass removed.
So the old lemon tree is still there, but with a young and strong roots :)

:thank you:

That's an awesome little trick! I understand much better now :D

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
HA!!!!

FINALLY got some pics of the new baby under the screen! :dance013:

Pic 1: Top shot before training.
Pic 2: The whole plant after it's last training session.
Pic 3: I just really like this shot of one of the Blueberry nodes starting to bud. :artist:
Pic 4: The Vanniluna Grafted top :D

Attachments

• IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2647.jpg
    IMG_2647.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 23
O

OlibanumBreath

Super cool technique, will definitely have to try it sometime.

G

googolsack

Hello all, i had a skim through the thread so i apologise if i am repeating anything.
If you want to graft numerous different tops onto one base, preferably one with good roots, you can use this technique of graft on citrus and grapes, and only requires a very sharp nife and some grafting tape or something similar (it is like sticky tape but without any sticky), to cover the graft except where the 'shoot' sticks out.

picture.php

I imagine it would work on these plants, but you have to wait until there is some semi hard wood underneath. Somewhere in the middle of a side branch for the bud, and then sort of push the bud into the 'cut' on the root stock somewhere low down where it is still green on the outside but hardish on the inside. If you use only soft green cuttings i think it is less likely to work.
Once you have attatched the different types of strains onto the root stock, wait until they start growing and then you can cut the top off of the rootstock just above the top grafted bud. I should have mentioned, but you have to leave the rootstock alive until the grafts 'take' properly or it won't work. :) You should have healthy roots and multiple strains all popping out of the rootstock stem.
Hope this helps.

lil~greensprout

Living life large...
Veteran
Holy Schmitt's, thought I'd stop in , I musta' tripped and fell
head long into the deep end of the pool...... this is deEeEep.
:shark:
I predict:scripture: some reading in my future, very impressive ! :ying:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Hello all, i had a skim through the thread so i apologise if i am repeating anything.
If you want to graft numerous different tops onto one base, preferably one with good roots, you can use this technique of graft on citrus and grapes, and only requires a very sharp nife and some grafting tape or something similar (it is like sticky tape but without any sticky), to cover the graft except where the 'shoot' sticks out.

picture.php

I imagine it would work on these plants, but you have to wait until there is some semi hard wood underneath. Somewhere in the middle of a side branch for the bud, and then sort of push the bud into the 'cut' on the root stock somewhere low down where it is still green on the outside but hardish on the inside. If you use only soft green cuttings i think it is less likely to work.
Once you have attatched the different types of strains onto the root stock, wait until they start growing and then you can cut the top off of the rootstock just above the top grafted bud. I should have mentioned, but you have to leave the rootstock alive until the grafts 'take' properly or it won't work. :) You should have healthy roots and multiple strains all popping out of the rootstock stem.
Hope this helps.

I use a standard "Cleft" grating method, but this doesn't seem too far fetched from what I'm doing, and perhaps another method I'll try in the future for attempting to join larger scions to my mother plant. :tiphat:

At the moment, I've had 0% success with trying to graft to the more woody sections of the plant, regardless of the nature of the scion..... ALL of my success has been grafting fresh green soft scions into fresh green soft flesh of the host.

Im really interested ATM in how long it would take for the "False" grafting method to heal and allow me to dispatch the root structure of the scion, since I've found that some strains seem to be harder to graft to (as host plants) than others.

Bear in mind I can't have many plants, so any such experiments will likely take several years to complete (My current grafto mum is 10 months in the work, and the plant I'm tracking thru flower is 2 months of work, before flowering ;) )

Anyone that I've inspired to try can feel free to post their results in this thread! :tiphat:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Holy Schmitt's, thought I'd stop in , I musta' tripped and fell
head long into the deep end of the pool...... this is deEeEep.
:shark:
I predict:scripture: some reading in my future, very impressive ! :ying:

Welcome to the fray Sprout! :D

Not all that impressive from this end, :shucks:

Like I've said in the first post, lots of way's to fail!..... but this community has given me many many more ways to fail that I've not dreamed up yet! :D and most of them seem like they'll WORK!!!!! :dance013:

At least with citrus trees,..... :eek::

G

googolsack

I haven't tried this on marijuana plants, but i have on orange trees and grape vines and both have nearly 100% success.
I am only guessing that it will work, but when i mean a hardened part i mean semi-hardened. It should be still healthy green on the outside, not too hard, as when the stem becomes grey and gnarly, smooth green outside with semi hardened inside (too hard to super crop, but nice to cut into).
And the bud stock similar.
You will need a really sharp knife, and have to be careful. You want to carve/ slice, not tear with the grain. :)
The pieces should fit nice and tight, all the way around if you can. :)

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Yeah,.... that's the balance I'm looking for in my grafts,....

Most of those stems are a whopping 1/8-3/16" in diameter, (3.1-4.7 MM) tho I've had better success with slightly smaller/geener/softer attempts,...

Seems that grafting Cannabis is harder than grafting fruits or grapes,.... but as my limited experience has shown, it's certainly NOT impossible!

P.S. I"m NOT a botanist, but I play one on the internet! ;)

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seems that grafting Cannabis is harder than grafting fruits or grapes,.... but as my limited experience has shown, it's certainly NOT impossible!

I think cannabis is more difficult to graft because its fast metabolism and its structure.
If you graft a tree,you will see the stem is not hollow, this make things easier to do and more contact space.
Fast metabolism means the graft should keep in a safe environment (high RH - correct T°) much more then a tree,with its lignified stem that would be slower to take in but with more possibilities to survive.
:2cents: