What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Desert Southwest Growers Union

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
yes that a oliander in the back dwarf orange and limon tree before i placed them outside i sprayed them 2 times with neem oil. the oliander was chocked full of spydermites my finished product had none. for those outside try neem oil its natural and a super previnitive for pests

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Both Neem and Safers work for early infestations of Whitefly, and tobacco sprays work to keep them from eating and laying eggs. If they get a foothold, nuclear weapons are in order.

G

For us indoor desert growers, now is when the work begins. I can effectively grow large up to 6 months a year indoors in my location.

You cant beat the desert in the winter for indoor growing. Indoor temps and humidity are under control for mold free large buds.

One tip to help cut costs, get a weather station w/computer to monitor indoor/outdoor temps. Helps cut heating and cooling cost by allowing you to make informed desisions about AC & heater times.

I find if I keep my pets out of the grow rooms, I am spider mite free. Watch your clothes after being with pets also. Gnats are a plague. A perlite layer on top of the soil early helps stop them, then Gnatrol if it gets out of hand.

Winter growing in the desert gives me nice purple plants and make for great eye appeal.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
Pops said:
Both Neem and Safers work for early infestations of Whitefly, and tobacco sprays work to keep them from eating and laying eggs. If they get a foothold, nuclear weapons are in order.
sure are in order lol thats when the hotshot nopest strip is hung lol, i had spydermites sooo bad last yr 1st run of sugar shack but 1 spray of SMC {spydermite control } and the pest strip all dead 1 wk. ive used the pest strip for gnats also but perlits 2 inch layer helps to confuse them slows down the production. but green sand from the local garden shop snuffs them out gnats that is, they cant seem to penertrate the sand resulting the cycle to stop larve in soil thats matured. cant get out pregnant adults cant get in cycle ended

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
The only time I have ever had mites was from bringing a clone in from a club. I don't do that anymore and have kept spider mite free for a year and a half. My neighbor has some kind of flowering bush a couple feet from my garage and,in the summer, I have noticed whitefly buzzing around it. May have to use some dynamite to eliminate the bush.

G

stke_fingas said:
Hello there fella's, one more here for the southwest. Still new to the game, but have a few grows under my belt (on #7 now). Everything i've done has been indoors, too nervous to try anything outside jus yet. I'm currently remodeling my grow now to a "Cage/Coli" type setup with 600's and SCROG'ed!!!! :headbange No numbers yet but it's looking like it's going to pee on anything i've done before. I could throw up a few pics if anyone is interested.

griz... silver city huh? born n raised, gotta love that place!
yea silver city area, Mimbres to be exact. love to check out your operation. cant wait to go back, that manjauna attitude is the way to live.

E

EatShitake

Hehehe. So right you are, Tester!!!

I be cloning this weekend from several seed plants for sexing and (hopefully) finding a momma (the dirty dirty kind) to overgrow my bloomroom this winter. If I time things right, I might get a few harvests before the dreaded AC is needed again.

Great posts, folks! Keep 'em coming! :joint:

G

The Tester said:
For us indoor desert growers, now is when the work begins. I can effectively grow large up to 6 months a year indoors in my location.

You cant beat the desert in the winter for indoor growing. Indoor temps and humidity are under control for mold free large buds.

One tip to help cut costs, get a weather station w/computer to monitor indoor/outdoor temps. Helps cut heating and cooling cost by allowing you to make informed desisions about AC & heater times.

I find if I keep my pets out of the grow rooms, I am spider mite free. Watch your clothes after being with pets also. Gnats are a plague. A perlite layer on top of the soil early helps stop them, then Gnatrol if it gets out of hand.

Winter growing in the desert gives me nice purple plants and make for great eye appeal.

nice looking plants tester . what are the blood lines of those babys?

G

Sour Bubble

Sour Bubble X Grape Punch

Sour Bubble and Grape Punch have been dominant in my garden for a couple years now, along with several other strains. I just cracked 25 Sour Bubble f2's, along with 8 original Grape Punch and one Sweet Cindy 99. In about a week I will crank up Yumbolt and Double Strawberry Diesel, and Sour Diesel IBL. I still have room for a few more strains, so I am trying to get Bubbledust and some form of Kush, hopefully something out of Rez's vault.

I just lost my main grow site this year, and the wiring in my house can only support 2 1k lights at the most, so lets see what I can crank out this year with only one flower room.

G

they all look good but that sb x gp looks very good. Is it all right to pm you?

hazy

Veteran
i'm interested in seeing pics, stke_fingas.
not much desert around silver city huh?
had a good friend from silver city, were in NMMI together. long time ago.

that SBxGP sure looks tasty tester. i can see why it and the SB dominate the room.

G

Thanks grizz, PM me anytime.

EatShitake, hazy, and Kaleem - Thanks. I work hard on my garden every winter, but I have to give credit to BOG for the genetics. Those plants were bred for indoor gardening and the results are amazing. Most people who have sampled them cant get enough.

The Grape Punch x Sour Bubble pheno might be duplicated this grow and cloned for a run or two before the heat hits again. I will post up results when available.

This is the pheno I really want though. Pure Sour Bubble that rocks your world.

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
Alrighty then. Maybe you guys could help me with a little problem I have been having. I'm above 5000' dessert mountains I guess you could say. I can't get a humidity reading even with a humidifier in my cab. I figure the air exchange being so fast in order to keep temps down is preventing me from getting and humidity from building at all. I can't get a rh in the room the cab is in or outside. I go into more detail in my new grow journal here:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=70832

I really would like to try and avoid buying a humidifier that bring my whole room up but I am starting to feel that may be the only thing I can do. I figure maybe you guys will have a better idea for me. Thanks

FRizzo

PS How bad would it be to just keep going with the levels where they are at? Slower growth? Mold won't be a problem that's for sure.

G

i really dont think i would worry about it much. If you can cut air flow without raiseing temps that might help or just putting water in pans around the bottom will raise rh a little

Old Soul

Veteran
Tester-those plants look amazing.

So happy the temps are coming down. This is when I love the weather in the desert.

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
In the cab I lower the fan as low as I can and I have a humidifier, two bowls of water and three hand towels that are wet....nothing. Can't get it above 15-20% tops. The cab is only 39 cubic feet

Last edited:

Old Soul

Veteran
I have not seen any ill effects from the low humidity except that they drink more so I am having to dial in my feeding schedule a little better. I think you will be fine.

Peace

E

EatShitake

Yeah, I'm not too sure about the winter humidity situation either. I've still got a swamp cooler running, so things are in the high 30's to low 40's. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Last winter I had a much smaller room with a humidifier and it kept things around 20-25. Sorry I've got no answers for the cab growers, but it sounds likea no worries as long as you watch the drinking and nute levels.

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
Sweet, I'm gonna stop stressing it after what you have said, thanks guys. I'll stop in once and a while and let you know how things are going. Later

FRizzo