What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Desert Southwest Growers Union

hazy

Veteran
walked outside tonight and really felt a bit of chill.
the desert's cooling off. finally.
so if you have a way to protect them from occasional freezing, could you grow outdoors here and have them finish up alright? a lot of people have gardens through the winter. it's the only time you can grow most things here.
being up against the equinox, you'd have to have your timing right.
just wondering.

Comatose

EatShitake said:
-extreme heat
-extreme cold (yeah, it happens!!!)
-low humidity

Yeah I definitely got all of those where i am at. It sucks when your 5200 btu ac can barley keep you 600w at 85 because the air outside is so damn hot.

Comatose

My bad for double postin but i frogot to say ur name reminds me of Eastlake when Eatshitake quick anywayz that place sucks.

E

EatShitake

Welcome in, Comatose! :joint:

I feel ya on the AC issues during the summer. And welcome home, cool weather!!!

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
Comatose said:
Yeah I definitely got all of those where i am at. It sucks when your 5200 btu ac can barley keep you 600w at 85 because the air outside is so damn hot.
brother's and sisters of the SW desert my temps arverage during july and aug 115+. because of this i have allways ran my flower chamber at night 6pm-6am comes on when its startn to cool off outside off way before it heats up. i keep my house thermostat at 76 during this last summer, run a 1 k in a closet 5x7x8 a stanely blower fan modded and a carbon scrubber granted my temps hit the very low 90's few times but

7 oz 3 plants in 2 gal grow bags 1 plant in 1 gal these plants where choped at 57 days flower.

heres just a few of the 34 total in there now

approx 3wks 12/12 :) i also have 2 blueberry kush been in flower since 6-17-07 trics are still mostly clear lol

main cola from 1 it's forearm sized :muahaha:
i have acess to a 8k btu portable a/c that dosent sit in the window ducting and everything need to run it in the closet. didnt use it takes up valuable space in my eyes and prolly trump the power bill 75-100$ a month so it sits in my garage untill Sirsmokealot comes and gets it for his next grow op. my only wish is i could have placed clones in the back yard at this house last yr i did at old house in early sept my elevation is approx 32-33oo ft lol. hid them in plain view right in ground in front of a oliander bush ppl even looked directly at it and never seen it only me and few knew it was there 5 plants total. 4 clones 1 old mother plant. when i did pull them outdoor plants the ghettobird done 3 fly over my back yards in a row lol scared chit outts me. turns out they where lookn for some1 who ran from a bad accident

Last edited:

mac777

EatShitake do you start inside and finish ouside? I'm down south and I don't think it ever gets to cold to throw them outside.

twistedtree

Well howdy, y'all! Comin' from southwest AZ here. I've got some C99 outside that will be finished before the month is over. It just started to get a little colder at night yesterday. It was wierd. I was pretty high off of some hash, and I swear I could feel the temp drop a few degrees. Could've just been the hash, though....

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
SoCal desert rat here. Much respect to you folks who grow outside in our environment. I run mine inside in a garage, in an enclosed room with 2 window a/c units that are vented through the attic. I have the same 110-115 temps you have, the same low humidity(I occasionally use the mister setting on my host to get humidity up) and the same whitefly problems. Thankfully, I have eliminated the whitefly for now, but have fungus gnats that I am dealing with.

Comatose

Yea i get those 110-115 days and they suck ass, and i do have my flowering lights on at night but my mother room still is on part of the day and that sucks when it gets that hot. Now that winters coming along gotta get ready for extreme cold so no more ac. :joint:

E

EatShitake

Hey mac777 :wave:
Yeah, I start my clones inside and just throw a few outside at random parts of the season. I've never tried a whole crop outdoors all season yet- I'm a little sketchy about nosy neighbors and such, but I grow tomatoes, peppers, cacti and other succulents on my back patio. I'll usually put 2 or 3 small plants in pots interspersed with the veggies for cover. I would LOVE to grow something wild like Lougrew does, but, alas, the cojones just aren't that big.

I am growing vines on trellises trying to completely enclose one corner of my patio. Once they totally fill in, I should be able to keep a few larger plants totally obscured from prying eyes. Maybe next spring. Right now, I've just got a couple males and 1 female that will get some pollen soon for seeds.

Hey Pops! :wave:

Those whiteflies sure love a climate-controlled garage grow, don't they?

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Cold snap here last night. They were predicting 31 degrees for my area, so I brought my plants in for the night.

Eatshiitake-
I think I'm going to go for one of those portable greenhouses with shadecloth next year, for stealth purposes. Right now we only have a small area of side yard that is private, and even that is potentially visible if someone were to look over the fence at the right spot. And my wife has been complaining that we cant have people over untill after harvest time...

i love the cold right now its bugging me out but a good feeling. How does everybody deal with the low humidity i have a little tupperware with water to aid right in front of my fan. It seemed to blow up during the monsoon. I was all stoked thought i dialed in my box yet i was wrong. I assume that indica genetics would be the best outdoors here. Anyone got any suggestions or experience. Also i hear the flagstaff area is prime location for outdoor but i wanna see some true desert funk. It always intrigues me and i want to see what out climate could produce or even try to acclimatize something to this extreme climate.

peace

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
The great thing about Socal is that we have 3 sub-species of Whitefly and they are everywhere. If I had half the sex drive those suckers have,I would be a happy man. I finally harvested and trimmed all my plants in the flower room, sprayed the Hell out of it with foggers and moved my little girls in who had been growing in a separate veg room. Finally got rid of the bastards. Now I am using Gnatrol to get rid of the fungus gnats. No more steer manure for me, it is full of fungus gnat.

Maj.PotHead

Mentor
Veteran
lol flagstaff az is average 7,000 ft elevation full of nice trees and elk, something not found in deserts. but sedona cottonwood and surrounding ereas are desert.

i dont even worry about my RH i just let them grow i put some clones outside last september in the backyard

:) growen at approx 3200 ft elev 4 clones in the ground

G

yeah flagg has a short growing season, indica for sure in that area, sedona, down to camp verde is excellent . not desert more like south cal. I have grown in phoenix and sativas thrive there and idicas do well also.

i know flagg isnt desert i was just refering to something i had heard givin props to az you know. Anyways i like the midland areas where you see a bit of both worlds. Like on the trip up to flagg and sedona from phx. All of the crazy climates there are great id also like the superior area. i love the vibe that town gives off.

peace

Maj.PotHead

Mentor
Veteran
i love the run on route 66 from kingman then grab a bite at the Road Kill Cafe before getting off. mingus mtn is very nice erea been there couple times would love to go back i have a friend my cherokee brother in cottonwood along with his mom.

E

EatShitake

Hey Major!

That's a sweet little plot you've got chillin in the back 9. That's an oleander behind it?

Zymos- I've thought about the portable greenhouses, too. I may just make a corner of my patio a semi-permanent greenhouse with the UV grreenhouse plastic. I'm a little worried about wind, though. Guess we won't know til we try, huh?

Comatose

I am in so cal havent got white flys and hope not too. :redface: I have had the gnats, mites, and leaf miners. I just had to use a fogger to get rid of my leaf miners.

I Like that outdoor plant looks good Major. I want to do a little outdoor spot just need to get some plants around it for concealment. I noticed that your shirt is kinda ironic to where to live, it made me laugh, if only if only we had cold weather. :joint:

Hello there fella's, one more here for the southwest. Still new to the game, but have a few grows under my belt (on #7 now). Everything i've done has been indoors, too nervous to try anything outside jus yet. I'm currently remodeling my grow now to a "Cage/Coli" type setup with 600's and SCROG'ed!!!! :headbange No numbers yet but it's looking like it's going to pee on anything i've done before. I could throw up a few pics if anyone is interested.

griz... silver city huh? born n raised, gotta love that place!

Latest posts

Latest posts