What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Thanks all for taking interest in my thread. Growing DTW with mulit-feeding is great. I've converted a few friends over to this way of growing and they are getting unreal results.

About the PH, I like to keep my PH at 5.8-6.0 right up to the end of flower stretch. Once the plants have stopped stretching and start to put their energy into bud production I keep my PH at 6.0-6.2. There are variables that make the exception, for example if I think they look a little bit Nitrogen toxic (during veg or flower) I'll keep the PH at 6.2 because at this PH less Nitrogen is available, Nitrogen is more freely available the closer you get to 5.8.

HGO

Last edited:
Hey hundred gram must say killer thread..!

Im looking to set up a ebb table 3x6 with 20 1gal buckets to a dtw.
System is already ebb @ flow ready but seems a easy convert. Res
Is 50gal. Plan to use canna coco with canna nutes. Plan was zero veg
But now im thinking 1week veg time.

So to the details
What size pump to supply enough head pressure to water 20 drip stakes?
What timer do you use to control your watering?
What drip stakes you find best?

If im off with my plan please chine in :)

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Hiya hellraizer, I'm glad you enjoyed the thread.

My pump is a MaxiJet 1000, it's flow rate is 1000Ltrs/Hour, that flow rate would be perfect for your setup. I use 1 MaxiJet 1000 per 24 drip heads. Here's a pic...

mj1000.jpg

For the timer I use, Intelligent Watering System Minute/Second Timer, it really is a nice bit of kit, here's more info on it...

4883_large.jpg

This versatile pump timer allows you time individual minutes or seconds as required. It is perfect for use with hydroponics systems to give greater control over water pumps.
The 24 hour timer on the left allows you to set when you want your pump(s) to operate and the second/minute timer on the right allows you to set the duration of each operation.
o Plug and play-No wiring necessary
o Time between 1 - 15 minutes or 5 - 60 seconds every half hour period.
o Rated 800w
For drip steaks I use the little blue fast flow ones, here's a picture...

blue-fast-flow-dripper.jpg

I find them good but they can get clogged every once in a while, the drip clean helps take care of that though. If you can't get them then get the basket steaks, they are great. Here's what they look like...

708340.jpeg

Hope that helps some, any more questions fire away.

HGO

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got a question for ya HGO .... how often would you feed this set up ???3 1/2" pots of canna coco with oversized drainage holes on top of canna coco slabs . i am feeding once a day right now ...for 1 minute till i get runoff . they've been in 3 days today & the roots are slowly coming out the bottoms of the pots into the slabs .

Oh yeah ... forgot to mention ... 18 gallon rez, 264gph pump, 1/2 feed lines, 1/4" drip lines & i use the black basket stakes you linked here a couple posts back :)
runoff is sucked out of the trays every night about a half hour after the pumps shut off ... with a bucket head vac .

DSCF0056.jpg

Last edited:

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
K so i looked those timers up and i cant find a outlet that sells them in the US.
You know of another one thats good?
CAP Drt Dne timer is your solution. Can set the feed times to the second, and off times from 1 minute to hours... About $75 and the best money you have spent on timers...

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Got a question for ya HGO .... how often would you feed this set up ???3 1/2" pots of canna coco with oversized drainage holes on top of canna coco slabs . i am feeding once a day right now ...for 1 minute till i get runoff . they've been in 3 days today & the roots are slowly coming out the bottoms of the pots into the slabs .

Oh yeah ... forgot to mention ... 18 gallon rez, 264gph pump, 1/2 feed lines, 1/4" drip lines & i use the black basket stakes you linked here a couple posts back :)

View Image
Set the feed intervals to 3-4 times per lights on, and watch the difference.
If you have a tray that can remove the run off it doesn't matter how much run off you have, but rather more is better. If you don't have enough run off you risk the potential of them sucking up the juice and causing lock outs...

D

DHF

Is 1 gallon to small for a 24' plant?
Bro as I LMAO........and..Yes......A 1 gal pot is definitely waaaaaay too small for a 24 ft plant.......:moon:.....but it`ll do a 2 ft plant well with increased feeds Vag.........see.....

Smaller the container , the more feeds per lights on are required with coco cuz when the plants are dialed and hoonin they`re drinkin like a mofo and ......

The smaller containers dry out a lot faster and need to maintain a constant "moistness" to prevent residual salt buildup that in turn causes ph to drop as ppm`s soar outta control till flushed with 1/2 strength nutrient solution to bring numbers back into appropriate levels.........that said........

Got growbro`s that do topfed flood tables set up like dansbuds that rock that shit with waaaay increased plant numbers in smaller containers Vag......and btw......

Glad ta see yas back around......and ......All would do well to take note of dansbuds "loopfield manifold" with basket stakes and open end driptubing cuz it`s the standard now for the big boys runnin coco dtw....

With the right pump the basket stakes spread a 360 degree juice spread around the containers every feed ftw.......I ran em over 5 yrs without a hitch and no dripclean ....but I wasted assloads of juice down the drain with sufficient runoff to prevent salt accumulations......

Here`s the thing db.....timed feeds really needta be determined on how well the coco slabs are accepting the juice as they`re fed to maintain that constant moistness I spoke of with a dialed setup , so I`d air on the side of feedin a lil more spread out over lights on like Arm pointed out...and....

Those small containers will dry out fast while the slabs could possibly be stayin moist , so I see dripclean @ 1 ml per gal in your future with it`s "ionic properties" to latch onto unabsorbed nutrients and get rid of during feed sequence.....cuz.....

If yas`re runnin dripclean , it goes a long way in preventing residual salt buildup , so until yas dial the plants needs and juice requirements , I`d get hold of some for added insurance Bro.......and finally.........

Gladta see HGO our fearless leader in vertville back around........Get bacta work and growin yer ass off Bro.......

Peace...Freds.....:ying:....

Last edited:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smaller the container , the more feeds per lights on are required with coco cuz when the plants are dialed and hoonin they`re drinkin like a mofo and ......

The smaller containers dry out a lot faster and need to maintain a constant "moistness" to prevent residual salt buildup that in turn causes ph to drop as ppm`s soar outta control till flushed with 1/2 strength nutrient solution to bring numbers back into appropriate levels.........that said........

Got growbro`s that do topfed flood tables set up like dansbuds that rock that shit with waaaay increased plant numbers in smaller containers Vag......and btw......

Glad ta see yas back around......and ......All would do well to take note of dansbuds "loopfield manifold" with basket stakes and open end driptubing cuz it`s the standard now for the big boys runnin coco dtw....

With the right pump the basket stakes spread a 360 degree juice spread around the containers every feed ftw.......I ran em over 5 yrs without a hitch and no dripclean ....but I wasted assloads of juice down the drain with sufficient runoff to prevent salt accumulations......

Here`s the thing db.....timed feeds really needta be determined on how well the coco slabs are accepting the juice as they`re fed to maintain that constant moistness I spoke of with a dialed setup , so I`d air on the side of feedin a lil more spread out over lights on like Arm pointed out...and....

Those small containers will dry out fast while the slabs could possibly be stayin moist , so I see dripclean @ 1 ml per gal in your future with it`s "ionic properties" to latch onto unabsorbed nutrients and get rid of during feed sequence.....cuz.....

If yas`re runnin dripclean , it goes a long way in preventing residual salt buildup , so until yas dial the plants needs and juice requirements , I`d get hold of some for added insurance Bro.......and finally.........

Gladta see HGO our fearless leader in vertville back around........Get bacta work and growin yer ass off Bro.......

Peace...Freds.........
Thank you very much DHF for that info :tiphat: :thank you:

Thanx for the props on the loop bro !!! my 264gph pump is NOT strong enough for that 360 spread your talking about so .... consider that guys when setting up like this . i'm going to eventually up the pump size .

Drip clean huh ??? i'll have to pick some up finally ..... thought about it with the 2 gallon buckets i used to use ... but never really needed it as long as i had enough runoff everytime .but the small pots dryin out before the slabs makes alot of sense .

Last edited:

NorCalZero

Has anyone used the Oasis Claber drip system? On the low setting it distributes about 4oz a day per dripper with a 6.6 gallon tank, so I was going to use 2 drippers per plant in air pots with coco. My main concern is hooking up air stones to it but I'm sure I can make it work somehow.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vag puncher .... A 1gallon pot can be used for a 2 foot plant but be warned it will get rootbound & need to be fed OFTEN !!!!

heres a rootball from an 15" plant in a 1 gallon pot that got transplanted into 2 gallon before flowering .

DSC01863.jpg

& heres the plant transplanted into her 2 gallon .

DSC01865.jpg

good luck brother !!! but i think you'd be better off with 2 gallon buckets for anything over the 2 foot mark . :)

E

ekomsi

Bump because this thread has too much great info to not be on the first page of the coco forum

For sure on Ekomsi proposal - this is the only way to do it and get the full benefit - I've read alot of sources about this subject, and trust me, it's the only way to do coco and make the most of it. Truly the most, hahaha, seriously the way it preforms when correctly done is amazing.

-Life

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Thanks fellas I'm glad your enjoying the thread, I can speak highly enough about this way of growing.

Someone way back in the thread was saying that the hydroton at the bottom of the pots serves no purpose and that it actually blocks the roots...not true at all, in fact if you look closely to the very first pic in this thread you can see the roots bursting through the hydroton:

picture.php

I can't find their post now but it's somewhere in this thread, I just wanted to clear that one up.

Peace
HGO

Last edited:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread is full of great info HGO !!! Thanx :)

hydrotron in the bottom huh ? do you find it better than the perilite i use ? (see my pic above )

Latest posts

Latest posts