What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Edit: Fun fact. The earth is 6 billion or so years old. The North Pole isn't nowhere close to that old. That means the NP ice has melted completely and came right back all before humans were remotely capable of affecting it.

Here's the question though that nobody knows the answer to, would this be happening now if man did not exist or would it be happening much later?

T

thesloppy

Here's a link to the actual ice coverage in the north pole, form the National Snow and Ice Data Center in the original post:

20110706_Figure3.png

and the graph 303hydro linked to, from futuretimeline.net:

arctic-sea-ice-future-coverage-2035.jpg

G

greenmatter

Or you could look at it as Mother Nature's preperations for hitting the reset button.

very true ..... but i would rather see her push that button now than see what else we can do to her in the meantime.

i would rather hug a tree than fuck the planet.

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Re: Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

Where's the graph from say the last 500 years? Is this a dumb question? FUCK ICE lol. And polar bears fuck them too! Those fuckers gonna have to figure out something else to catch those seals. That's some bullshit waiting for them to breath looks like the seals won lol. Maybe they figured out how to melt the ice to fuck the polar bears. Seriously if they did then fuck seals too.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Good point. But we're an extension of those bears. We'll have to reinvent our wheel... before the conventional one stalls.

HempKat

Veteran
very true ..... but i would rather see her push that button now than see what else we can do to her in the meantime.

i would rather hug a tree than fuck the planet.

Well really she already is but being as old as she is that moment to push a button for her, seems like several generations to us. Don't worry I've yet to see any proof we can push the planet beyond the point of healing itself. I do however believe we can push it beyond the point of mankind being able to survive...if we haven't done so already.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^with the heating of the globe and melting of the ice caps weather will become more extreme. this can already be seen. Then as sea levels rise there will be mass migration. they will move to places where there is resources, but there will already be people there, and there wont be enough for all. This will result in fighting over them. Climates will change faster than our crops can adapt.To add to that most of the bees that pollinate out crops are dead, and will all be dead.

The famine and war to come will be horrific. There will be mass amounts of death int the next 50 years.

airports have already been moving and repaving their runways 10 degrees to keep in line with the np...we're all dead..peace

enter sandman

aahhhhh.....The great Vibrational Shift. It will 'weed' out the evil people. A lot of new age stuff (99% is) is not total garbage. It is happening right now.

igrowone

Veteran
back to my original post/link - looking at the latest pictures
the northeast passage is looking wild, it really is clearing out fast along the northern Russian coast line
will we have surfers on the arctic sea someday? kind of a cool image

cool, another thread I have to catch up on! :D This is an issue that should be black and white, and all politicians of all parties should "see the light" that something needs to be done fast? You can't argue that the obvious is not happening anymore.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Another fucking anthropocentric thread.
If you clowns were around 10,000 years ago, you'd be lamenting the retreating glaciers that covered half of North America with ice up to two miles thick. Oh, the poor mastadons, saber tooth cats and ground sloths.
The Sun and Earth's position in the solar system controls climate.
5 billion years of geologic evidence vs a graph with 30 years of ice data. Hmmmmmm?

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Here's the question though that nobody knows the answer to, would this be happening now if man did not exist or would it be happening much later?

And Sir, that is the Million Dollar question-- I think we can all agree it is happening, it is the "How Fast", "Who's Fault is it", and "What can we do about it?" that is in question--
Here is a page I found interesting, tho it is addressed mostly to Al Gore's Book...it does show how numbers and facts are being munipulated for specific agendas--:tiphat:
http://www.worldclimatereport.com/index.php/2007/10/30/arctic-sea-ice-another-hockey-stick/

HempKat

Veteran
cool, another thread I have to catch up on! :D This is an issue that should be black and white, and all politicians of all parties should "see the light" that something needs to be done fast? You can't argue that the obvious is not happening anymore.

We should be realistic and consider that it's likely that we will be unable to change the path we're on with regards to Climate Change. This isn't something that developed overnight. I've been alive for over half a century now and even from elementary school days I remember these issues coming up in environmental debates in politics back then. Maybe had we acted then, we might have been able to change things enough? At the rate things are increasing now and with the sun going thru a period of increased solar activity that is also contributing to the Climate Change problem, anything we do will likely be too little too late.

That being said, there's still good reason for us to live a more environmentally friendly life. If for no other reason then to understand nature better which will enhance our survival skills.

HempKat

Veteran
Here is a page I found interesting, tho it is addressed mostly to Al Gore's Book...it does show how numbers and facts are being munipulated for specific agendas

Oh that's a well established fact and not just in Climate Change. We've seen examples time and time again of data being manipulated to meet an agenda. Hell the history of marijuana prohibition is filled with examples of that on both sides for and against. I remember back in the days of the Nixion and Ford Administrations, study after study came out proving marijuana could cause all sorts of things to happen, the most memorable of which was Man Boobs. Likewise there was study after studio saying marijuana was not only safe but had beneficial medical applications. The point being you can't have it both ways, either it's bad for you or it is good.

I also know it to be true from having worked for marketing research companies where the emphasis is on satisfying the customer by generating the results the customers want. Trust me, they have it down to a science on how to pick a random group to give you the results you want. Perhaps that's why they call it scientific sampling?

HempKat

Veteran

Yeah that's the likely result of what we're calling global warming. Really the only issue that's ever been in question is if this is all just a natural cycle or if it's man made and therefore can be prevented? It may very well not be. Mankind has not been around long enough at an advanced enough stage of developement to record all the natural cycles of our planet. There is an earth orbit that is in addition to the orbit of the planet around the sun and the orbit of the earth around it's axis. The 3rd orbit is a wobble that is very slow as it takes about 41,000 years to complete. It's what they also call Earth's Obliquity. Recently it's been determined thru testing of earth formations surviving from beyond the Ice Age's we know of that every second or third cycle of this obliquity is when earth experiences an Ice Age. This has been established by matching this wobble with when the earth has had Ice Age's in the past.

I think everyone accepts that this wobble exists and plays a role but some suspect man has contributed to it as well thereby accelerating things beyond the impact of this "wobble" and this is the real bone of contention at the heart of the debate. Which if you think about it is kind of silly because either way, man made or natural, we'll need to make drastic changes if we hope to survive.