What's new

My second grow. Bubba Kush, Humbolt Snow, Master Kush, Sour Diesel and Trainwreck

RalphWiley

Finished up my first grow and am starting in on the second. Canna nutes with cal mag, canna substrate with approx. 20% perlite under a 400w HPS. Veg/Clone is under a 6 bub 2' T5. Ventilation and cooling is handled via a pair of 4" vortex 172cfm blowers. Here's the cab...

This is my first time using the humidity dome and early results are leaving me tremendously unimpressed (clones already looking kind of wilty). My last batch were rapid rooters in party cups covered in clingfilm and those worked out okay. If this batch (3 of each strain) doesn't turn out I'll go ahead and build a bubbler. On to the grow show...

Back Row (Left to Right): Bubba Kush, Sour Diesel, Master Kush
Front Row (Left to Right): Trainwreck, Humbolt Snow, Trainwreck

hoyt

thats one hell of a lineup for your second grow! how did your first grow turn out? if you had the same strains,which was your favorite? good luck on this one!

RalphWiley

Here's a link to my first grow:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=38300

The finished product is just awesome, although the yield was low as a result of figuring out what I was doing. Learned important things like caliberating the ph meter, how to recognize overfeeding, and that plants like to be snugged up as close to the light as heat permits.

My favorite strain out of the first grow was definitely the sour diesel. It produced some huge colas, was highly resistant to my unintentional efforts to kill it, and packs one hell of a high. The c99 from my original grow was very nice as well, but failed to clone and lack of light caused a low yield.

RalphWiley

Woke up this morning to a bunch of wilted clones, so I decided to DIY a bubble cloner. Without much hope I transferred the clones over, crossing my fingers (the plants are 6 days into flower, so if any of the genetics don't survive I'll need to re-veg the clones). Sure enough, a few hours later I went back to find my clones perked back up and alive. Total cost was less than $40 (including a self-regulating heater), very worth it!! Here's a pic:

I also figured out how to use the white-balance feature on my camera, so here's a better pic of my plants in flower.

G

sweet ralph! i got a couple master and bubbas going as well. i'm early in veg. but do you have any tips for these 2? any advice is appreciated as this is my first grow.

RalphWiley

Absolutely, soso18. Beware this advice comes from my first grow as well, but perhaps that makes it even more useful, haha.

Master Kush - Good news, Master Kush is damn near unkillable. I had three clones that survived my first (poor) attempt at cloning, and the two healthy ones were both Master Kush (the other was a skinny Sour Diesel). They love to grow and are a perfect candidate for LST (in fact, if you have a small cab it might be necessary). In flower they do tend to be sensitive to nutes, my Masters showed any nute burn or deficiencies long before my other plants did, and to a greater extent. The end results were just amazing (check the pics in my first grow thread), it's an awesome high with a pleasant taste. Although my first grow's yield wasn't impressive, the potential is obvious with this strain.

Bubba Kush - Patience, lots and lots of patience. Bubba Kush does not pack on as much size during flower, so make sure you give it a long veg. My first bubba was 3 weeks under a 6 lamp 2' T5 and never bulked up... my current bubba had almost two months of veg and is much, much happier for it. Neither wanted a particularly strong dose of nutes. It also takes awhile longer to finish, so trust that the trichs will turn and just leave it at 12/12 for as long as it wants.

General advice, watch (and calibrate!) ph carefully and err on the side of caution when it comes to feeding. As silly as it may sound listen to what the plants are trying to tell you, mynamestitch has done an awesome translation in the cannabis infirmary section. Good luck and good smoke!

RalphWiley

Went to tuck my ladies in for the night and noticed that all but the sour diesel (the most immature of the bunch) have put out pistils. No doubt about it, moving the plants closer to the light (by almost two feet from my last grow) is making a huge difference. Here's a pic I took of of one of the trainwrecks just entering into flower.

RalphWiley

Knock on wood, but this second grow is going phenomenally. The bubble cloner is going nicely, I've got a nice solid root or two that are just waiting to be placed into soil. The girls in flower are going nuts, I'll absolutely get some pictures tomorrow when the lights are on. The plants are all putting on a lot of weight and a lot of flowers, except for the sour diesel which only just began to flower.

That said, I now understand why Master Kush has the nickname high rise. In the course of 4 days, the plant put on more than 6 inches of height. I swear you can almost watch it getting taller it's growing so fast. In another thread I discussed my success with LST in flower, and may go ahead and document my attempts this time around if it stays determined to grow taller than my light.

The other plants are all doing very well, the LSTed trainwrecks are sending up cola-tipped shoots whereas the Bubba Kush and Humbolt Snow are turning into bushes. The Sour Diesel hit a serious growth spurt after I took clones from her, and is now competing with the Master Kush for tallest plant. Don't want to jinx it but I can't believe how much better my second grow is going! Pics tomorrow, stay tuned!

RalphWiley

Pictures, as promised. As you can see, my cabinet is getting quite full, and this is barely after 2 weeks of flower!

As you can see, I've begun tying over the Master Kush. I've got about 6 more inches I can move my light up, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and put a screen in this weekend to keep it and the sour diesel next to it restrained. Here's another pic, although it's a bit of an optical illusion... the four furthest plants are actually sitting atop flower pots to get them more light.

I really can't believe how good these plants are looking, my first grow looked nothing like this at 16 days. Here's a shot of the Humbolt Snow

And another of the trainwreck

AbbieDoobie

Very nice, Ralph. A bushy littly garden you got there. A great bunch of plants for just your second grow.

~Abbie :joint:

RalphWiley

Thanks for the compliments! Sorry for the sparse updates, things have been keeping me busy. This grow is going tremendously well, I've yet to encounter any problems and the plants just keep getting bigger and bigger. I'm having a bit of trouble with the bubbler... I've taken 4 successful clones (2 Sour Diesel and 2 Trainwreck) and 1 that the root tore off on that I've got in a rapid rooter (Humbolt Snow). The clones in the bubbler look very happy for the most part, but are taking their sweet time in producing roots. I believe I'll be trying to create some bonsai mothers shortly, as I fear losing genetics otherwise.

For your enjoyment, here's a flower from one of the trainwrecks at 27 days...

And another from the Humbolt snow.

stinkleaf

right on im on my first successful grow right now also todays day 27 for me also yours are looking great keep up the good work
stinkleaf

RalphWiley

Thanks! I feel kind of like Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors, the plants are drinking a ton of water and nutes right now. I suspect I'll need to switch to feeding every day instead of every other day very soon. The buds are growing bigger by the day, and I've been forced to tie up both trainwrecks and the humbolt snow so they don't collapse from the weight! Next grow I'm definitely putting some dowels in the pots when I switch 'em to flower. At any rate, enough babble, on with the show!

Here's the trainwreck, moving up past the vortec to suck up some of that HPS goodness:

And the Master Kush tied onto it to keep it from sprouting out my ceiling:

The Sour Diesel has now matched the Master Kush's size... this pheno always seems to have a growth spurt sometime in the middle of flower:

And finally the monster, Humbolt Snow. The colas on this plant are just amazing, more than one of them is bigger than my hand!

I couldn't get a pic of the Bubba Kush because one of the trainwrecks is in the way, but it's got quite a few colas (LST really helped!) and is doing the squat, slow growing thing bubbas are known for.

G

looks great ralph! btw, how many days is that master kush in this last pic?