What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Too late to do anything about it now...

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm already day 5 into final flush.

I was having some issues with my girls late in flower, trying to push them too hard I think. But in the last 2 days I've noticed that they've taken on a distinct purple hue where they've never turned purple before. Was curious to think what others might thought might be causing it.

Growing under Vero 29 COB's in Hempy buckets using Maxi Bloom and Grow, Calimag, epsom salts, and Protekt Silica up until the 3rd week of flower. I'm 90% certain I had a Phosphorus lockout because I was giving them too much Calimag. I won't be using it in the future. I've made the switch to chelated calcium.

DrDee

Got Bud,
You were giving both calmag and epsom salts? I think you need to work at keeping things a little simpler and low key. Pushing the plant with nutes is for experts using hot rooms with co2 and all that. Us lowly hobby growers are best serves by keeping it smooth and simple.

I wouldn't worry about the purple. Lots worse could have happened so you got off easy. lol
JD

PS A picture would really help.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I'm not using the Calimag any more. Earlier in the grow I was experiencing mag deficiencies, and adding epsom salts alleviated the issue. But then I kept going instead of backing off.

I think what happened was I fed them too much magnesium, and ended up locking out phosphorus. They still look pretty good. Just really didn't pile on the weight. I also think I was just feeding them too much in general, and have already planned on backing off for next grow.

This next go round is Maxi Bloom, chelated calcium, AgSil 16 (until 3rd week of flower), and epsom salts. And Kool Bloom 4 days before flush. I'm thinking of switching to Maxi Crop after I run out of Maxi Bloom. But then I'll be starting over again on learning a new nute regiment.

Sorry. No pics. Growing behind enemy lines has made me a bit paranoid over the years.

DrDee

Got Bud,
I think your analysis is probably accurate. I'm a maxi-bloom user too, but have seen lots of guys jumping ship and switching to the Maxi-crop. Are you using RO water? Just curious about why the chelated Ca++. If your water has enough...no real need to add more. Though if you're using coco in the Hempy's that's a whole new issue. Not a coco fan.

I think you should start the KoolBloom earlier. When you stop the Si at three weeks...then add in the KoolBloom. That's probably part of why your buds weren't as big as they should have been.

And as we understand light spectra and plant growth better...things tend to change. Guys are adding in blue spectrum light as a finishing light near the end. Read up on that. I'm just getting back after a 6 year hiatus and that was new to me. I'm going to try it. Good luck man.
JD

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got Bud,
I think your analysis is probably accurate. I'm a maxi-bloom user too, but have seen lots of guys jumping ship and switching to the Maxi-crop. Are you using RO water? Just curious about why the chelated Ca++. If your water has enough...no real need to add more. Though if you're using coco in the Hempy's that's a whole new issue. Not a coco fan.

I think you should start the KoolBloom earlier. When you stop the Si at three weeks...then add in the KoolBloom. That's probably part of why your buds weren't as big as they should have been.

And as we understand light spectra and plant growth better...things tend to change. Guys are adding in blue spectrum light as a finishing light near the end. Read up on that. I'm just getting back after a 6 year hiatus and that was new to me. I'm going to try it. Good luck man.
JD
You're in the same boat I am. Coming back after a 8 year hiatus myself.

Yes to the RO water. Hempy buckets are a combo of big perlite, small perlite, fine vermiculite, pea gravel, and expanded clay pellets. All on a bed of red lava rock. There is an air stone that lives in the rez, and water is fed directly to the rez through a PVC downtube. It works really well, and grows massive plants. I just need to get it dialed in a bit better.

I'll figure it out eventually. :dance013: It's not that hard to grow this plant. It isn't easy to grow it really well though.

DrDee

Hempy buckets are a combo of big perlite, small perlite, fine vermiculite, pea gravel, and expanded clay pellets. All on a bed of red lava rock. There is an air stone that lives in the rez, and water is fed directly to the rez through a PVC downtube.

So you've got yourself an auto feed hempy system...cool. And that is quite the mix. You've used it before without issues? I've done hempy's with straight hydroton.

Since you're so creative with your Hempy medium...why not change it up and ditch the pea gravel. (poor absorption and water retention) and throw in some of the high silica Growstones. Save on silica additives. Seriously research adding in Koolbloom earlier like I suggested.
Cheers,
JD

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you've got yourself an auto feed hempy system...cool. And that is quite the mix. You've used it before without issues? I've done hempy's with straight hydroton.

Since you're so creative with your Hempy medium...why not change it up and ditch the pea gravel. (poor absorption and water retention) and throw in some of the high silica Growstones. Save on silica additives. Seriously research adding in Koolbloom earlier like I suggested.
Cheers,
JD
The mix is just a culmination of reused media from the past year or so. It gets set out to dry for at least a month before getting reused, and I pick all the old root mass out of it. Though to be honest it doesn't get very wet once the roots hits the lava rocks because of the bottom feeding. Give it a wash and good rinse to remove what I missed, and back into the buckets she goes.

I was thinking on trying a PPK with this same mix, but want to get better at growing in Hempy's before I try something else. The LEDs I grow under are giving me enough problems with the different plant issues that have cropped up. I don't need to go changing an input before I get that sorted out and dialed in.

I just need to keep repeating my old racing mantra - Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

Gry

Real hard to go wrong w/ a ppk. If there is an easier approach to surplus, I have yet to find it.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
We can all empathise though.

I certainly can.. Its easily done. I had to go back to full organic because all these products just play havoc with pH and the soil biome in the blind chase for quantity over quality..

Latest posts

Latest posts