What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Issue with new growth turning purple

browntrout

Veteran
Out of curiosity, what IS the pH of the soil and the water you are giving them?

I use rain water, and make sure it's not overly acidic. Adding fertilizer to that water WILL raise the pH somewhat, so it's a factor.

This doesn't look like pH lockout though... it looks like a temperature issue but I trust you when you say there haven't been swings in temps.

I'm following in the hopes to learn MOAR hahaha

Haven't tested this year, chemical fertilizers are acidic and tend to drop PH unless pre-buffered.

Last year was around 5.0 and added lime / oyster shell flour to whole garden area, and just oyster shell flour this year. I do not see any PH related issues.

Dog Star

Veteran
Hope its not "Hawaiian Black Death"... mysterious illness that they also could not find
cure or why is happening..

think on ICMAG there is thread about it... your sympthoms are very simmilar
like they haved..

'Boogieman'

I'm in the midwest and some of my plants are displaying this, looks exactly like your pictures from last year. It's only on a couple tops on my plants. I fed with fish hydrolysate a week ago and it seemed to help get greener but still a light purplish on new growth. It doesn't seem to stunt growth yet infact my best tops are displaying this on two of my plants. Were in a hot spell temps at night are about 72-75 at the lowest.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have a similar issue going on, just on the growing tips, but only one one branch of one plant. Maybe 5 growing tips, all coming from same branch.

browntrout

Veteran
Hope its not "Hawaiian Black Death"... mysterious illness that they also could not find
cure or why is happening..

think on ICMAG there is thread about it... your sympthoms are very simmilar
like they haved..

I would say they are one in the same, thanks for bringing it up.

Dog Star

Veteran
I would say they are one in the same, thanks for bringing it up.

Problem is those "Hawaii Black Death" made plant dont yield
nothing.. tips goes purple to purple-black and then dies..

its harsh cause the rest of plant looks great and its huge problem
for farmer that usually good developed plants goes to bin
and that there is no some cure for treating this menace..

there is a black melanome funghi that can feed on radiation
and they are extremophiles,can survive all kind of harsh
enviroments and attack everything that can soak
radioactivity...

if person for instance eat something radioactive they will attack
humans too as they use radioactivity for their growth..
and they are everywhere in nature..

if plant absorb some radioactive particles they will attack plants
and then usually shows those black funghi,Japan after Fukushima
is a full of examples where radiotrophic funghi attacks all kind
of plants,trees,animals and humans...

but they will never attack them if their organismes didnt absorb
radioactive particles..

So radioactivity can made us food for some weird acting shrooms..

Google a bit on melanome radiotrophic funghi... am was try to connect this illness to some cause and that is what i found
closest to what happends with those cannabis going purple
black before dieing..

Kind regards BrownTrout

browntrout

Veteran
Looks like the mysterious Black Death Help Identify Black Death in Hawaii

I still think it is possibly a phytoplasma infection transmitted by insects.

Yes that seems to be the consensus between most folks. However I am not sold 100% on thsi idea. I have plants next to one another, plants in pots with pro mix have no purple, the plants beside the potted plants in the ground have the purpleitus. I also witnessed this last year.

However I did see a very small amount of the purple indoors from clone that was taken off of a revegged mother that experienced this. It grew out of it and never had an issue indoors.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
do your affected plants ever display mutated leaves like this photo? That is another symptom we are experiencing in Hawaii.

I have not had it for a few years since I stopped sharing cuts.

Attachments

• 0317161516.jpg
    0317161516.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 27

browntrout

Veteran
do your affected plants ever display mutated leaves like this photo? That is another symptom we are experiencing in Hawaii.

I have not had it for a few years since I stopped sharing cuts.

Yes 100%, raised bumps, irregular growth, holes, twisting you name it.

It can vary in severity, usually the buds are black / purple no pistils airy and about 1/3 of the size, no smell/taste.

Attachments

• 68408175_592316367963267_2672093785579585536_n.jpg
    68408175_592316367963267_2672093785579585536_n.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 67297173_408080303385857_7927586034353700864_n.jpg
    67297173_408080303385857_7927586034353700864_n.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 30

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone checked to see if boron is low? I know, of all things, but boron def can cause P and N def too.

dank.Frank

'Boogieman'

In every four gallons of water I'm currently adding 1/4 teaspoon bioag TM7, 1/4 cup fish hydrolysate, 1.5 cups of ground alfalfa , 1 cup chicken manure pellets, and a half cup of kelp meal to sit 48 hours. I would be surprised if it was a deficiency. Everything seems to be perfectly healthy besides the purple tops and a few deformed leaves.

browntrout

Veteran
Has anyone checked to see if boron is low? I know, of all things, but boron def can cause P and N def too.

dank.Frank

Frank, I had Boron come up less than 50 on one of my soil tests. However, last year I had it worse (year of soil test) and was feeding constantly with bottled nutrients containing boron.

I do not know of any dry amendments I can add that wont overdo it,

However I don't believe it is boron related.

growingcrazy

I am hearing about this now in Michigan. It seems to be happening in all types of grows, indoor, outdoor and greenhouse.

Hollow stems from B deficiency was my first thoughts. The problem is that it has been 50/50 on plants having hollow stem and the leaf problems.

How many with problems here are seeing it more often on hollow stems?

therevverend

Veteran
I can't remember the last time I saw a plant without a hollow stem, outdoors at least. I pulled a big shade leaf the other day and it was hollow stemmed. It's not a deficiency it's genetic, nowadays basically all strains are hollow stemmed.

This stuff looks fungal to me, or some sort of micro-organism. Has anyone tried sending a leaf to a lab? If it's Michigan it'd be legal to do.

growingcrazy

Do you grow broccoli and is it also hollow stem?

I only see hollow stems/petioles under fast veg growth outside. Mid-summer everything has solid stems.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SoluBor
GranuBor
BioMin Liquid

All great organic certified boron amendments. Even if not the issue at hand, at least now you'll know what to look for if you find you ever need it.

Cole crops will grow a hollow stem when there is too much nitrogen in the system. The stalks grow too fast and never mature properly. In cannabis, there is much talk about this - even to the point that hollow stems are just a genetic feature left over from hemp. I don't know if there have been any conclusive studies done yet or not.

dank.Frank

browntrout

Veteran
I have just added crab/lobster meal and watering of AN bud factor X (supposedly contains Chistosan). I had added oyster shell meal in attempts to raise PH without adding excess magnesium (dolomite lime) last year with improvement midway through flower, I am wondering if chitosan had been created from the small amounts of chitin in oyster shells.

We will see, my plants are growing healthy however when bud sets in things usually go to shit.

Here is a picture from last year a couple weeks after adding 17-17-17 time release, fish bone meal & oyster shell flour.

Attachments

• Black death bud.jpeg
    Black death bud.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 34