What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet

HatchBrew

Veteran
Was just cleaning and playing around in my little space. Wanted to check in and drop ya a hello. Was greeted by some great looking buds. I like the roundness and frost on the Lucky Charms.

Got 2 Good Medicine from Bodhi getting ready to go into flower soon. It's the Appalachia x Harlequin.

Fare Thee Well!!

Siskiyou

Veteran
Was just cleaning and playing around in my little space. Wanted to check in and drop ya a hello. Was greeted by some great looking buds. I like the roundness and frost on the Lucky Charms.

Got 2 Good Medicine from Bodhi getting ready to go into flower soon. It's the Appalachia x Harlequin.

Fare Thee Well!!

Howdy, Hatch! Glad you stopped in. Since you mentioned it, Lucky Charms is quite round this time...interesting. I have run clones of this particular LC at least half a dozen times, but this time she's noticeably rounder.

the rounder we go the faster we get?

LC also appears to be almost ready at only 56 days this run.

I am very interested in those Good Medicine plants.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Dream Beaver 1 clone continues to sprawl and smell delicious. Lucky Charms clone behind her, both at 55 days of flowering.
picture.php

Dream Beaver 1 clone is significantly frostier than the seed plant was.
picture.php
picture.php

Sunshine Daydream 2 clone at 24 days flowering
picture.php

Black Triangle 1, a female, at 11 days flowering. Only two BT remain, the other two were males (I did make a clone of the extremely vigorous one, though)
picture.php

Last edited:

Siskiyou

Veteran
Space Cake seedlings in the front row, clones ready to transplant in the second row.
picture.php

Sunshine Daydream 2 clone @ 25 days flowering
picture.php

Dream Beaver (L) and Lucky Charms (R and in background) both at 56 days flowering.
picture.php

Lucky Charms @ 56
picture.php

Dream Beaver @ 56
picture.php

Bmac1

Veteran
Beautiful, happy and healthy looking plants as per usual Siskiyou. The LC and the DB are looking nice and frosty. I have to go back to the beginning to see if you mentioned about your medium and feeding before asking if you did ;-)

HatchBrew

Veteran
Howdy, Hatch! Glad you stopped in. Since you mentioned it, Lucky Charms is quite round this time...interesting. I have run clones of this particular LC at least half a dozen times, but this time she's noticeably rounder.

the rounder we go the faster we get?

LC also appears to be almost ready at only 56 days this run.

I am very interested in those Good Medicine plants.

Here's #2
HliqWpu.jpg

More sativa leaning.

SmdZ0l2.jpg

Transplanting into their 5 gallon homes today, then into flower this weekend.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Beautiful, happy and healthy looking plants as per usual Siskiyou. The LC and the DB are looking nice and frosty. I have to go back to the beginning to see if you mentioned about your medium and feeding before asking if you did ;-)

Vermicentric re-reammended recycled living soil, water and an occasional ACT only.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Here's #2
View Image

More sativa leaning.

View Image

Transplanting into their 5 gallon homes today, then into flower this weekend.

Excellent, Hatch. I'm a big fan of the daughters of Appalachia. I don't know much about Harlequin other than it is a high CBD strain, I think.

Quite a while back you mentioned glycerin tinctures. Do you have a favorite recipe?

Bmac1

Veteran
I have to admit, I was drawn in by the great pics and hadnt dug in. I went back and read it over and I dig it. I am also in a tent (5x5 w/600W) and a small tent for seedlings and veg and do it only for myself so I can relate. I can only flower 4-6 plants at a time and have been thinking about building a nice soil for some time now.

I need to stop thinking and start doing. I struggle with how to keep it stealthy and how to store it. I know I could use kiddie pool to mix and trash bins to store it but at this point I will look like a bit of a window licker if I am seen walking in with a kiddie pool at the end of January, lol.

I have a few questions though. Where do you keep your worm bin? I imagine a healthy stink coming from it, is that true? Also, providing it is outside, is the organic matter not an attractant for mice, rats etc?

Next is the water you use. Is it straight tap water? RO? Tap water that you bubble etc? I have only used tap water and this past run, I have just been letting it sit for about 24 hours before using it. Im not sure I notice a difference over just using it straight out of the tap.

No problem.. Looking forward to a smoke report. Ive been thinking of giving the lucky charms a run in my garden also so now i think i will definitely give it a go. How big is your tent and lights?

HatchBrew

Veteran
I've made two batches of Glycerin Tincture. First one used:

32 G Chemdawg buds- hand ground/broken, stems removed
Decarbed:
170*f - 35 minutes
185*f - 15 min
205*f - 15 min
Mixed with 320 G vegetable glycerin.

Put into a sanitized quart mason jar. Placed a zip bag over mouth and then screwed on lid. Did this to keep lid clean due to almost daily shake and turning over. Put it in a dark sock to keep light out. Let it sit for 60+ days.

I didn't sample it prior to sixty days, just a length of time I committed to letting it steep.

Warmed it up on straining day to get it real loose. Strained thru a fine metal strainer. Then all the material I pressed with the ricer to extract the rest of the glycerin. Only lost 7 g as residual.

Did a simple decarb method for second batch i made.

HatchBrew

Veteran
2nd Batch:

80 G Black CHerry Soda small broken down piece
Decarbed: 40 minutes at 215*F
Then after cooled hand rolled little pieces to grind it up a little more.

added 730 G Vegetable Glycerin

Left it on the ballast to stay warm. Turned & Shook daily, lived in the sock to stay dark. Marinated for seventy some days, and went thru same straining procedure.

Both came out a nice amber color. I consume them out the jar or will mix some into my tea.

Siskiyou

Veteran
I have to admit, I was drawn in by the great pics and hadnt dug in. I went back and read it over and I dig it. I am also in a tent (5x5 w/600W) and a small tent for seedlings and veg and do it only for myself so I can relate. I can only flower 4-6 plants at a time and have been thinking about building a nice soil for some time now.

I need to stop thinking and start doing. I struggle with how to keep it stealthy and how to store it. I know I could use kiddie pool to mix and trash bins to store it but at this point I will look like a bit of a window licker if I am seen walking in with a kiddie pool at the end of January, lol.

I have a few questions though. Where do you keep your worm bin? I imagine a healthy stink coming from it, is that true? Also, providing it is outside, is the organic matter not an attractant for mice, rats etc?

Next is the water you use. Is it straight tap water? RO? Tap water that you bubble etc? I have only used tap water and this past run, I have just been letting it sit for about 24 hours before using it. Im not sure I notice a difference over just using it straight out of the tap.

It sounds like your scale is very similar to mine.

I mix soil on a plastic tarp, which then gets folded up until next time.

I am fortunate to have a garage which can house my worm and soil bins. You will be pleasantly surprised to find out that worm bins don't stink. (Healthy soil smells good) Some people even keep worm bins in their house, but my wife would never go for that. The only time unpleasant odors happen is when too much food has been added too quickly. Worm bins shouldn't receive meats, oils or dairy unless they have been through the bokashi process first, and I don't include onion or garlic in mine.

The only pest invasion I have had in two years was small black ants. I put a small saucer of water under each leg of the bin (think moats) and no more ants.

Straight tap water. When I am making an ACT I will bubble the water with the molasses for a few minutes to neutralize the chlorine. When I smell chlorine or worry about it for some reason, I add a pinch of soil or EWC to the jug of water, to neutralize chlorine/chloramines. The way I understand it any organic matter can neutralize chlorine/chloramine, and I think the advice I have heard a few times from sources I trust is to use an old shoe or piece of leather in the water tank.

Siskiyou

Veteran
No problem.. Looking forward to a smoke report. Ive been thinking of giving the lucky charms a run in my garden also so now i think i will definitely give it a go. How big is your tent and lights?

Now that you mention it, Lucky Charms does deserve a good smoke report and I will get to that soon.
Yes, you should give it a go.

4x4 tent with 1K HPS for flower. 3x3 tent with T5s for seedlings, clones, mothers and veg.

Siskiyou

Veteran
I've made two batches of Glycerin Tincture. First one used:

32 G Chemdawg buds- hand ground/broken, stems removed
Decarbed:
170*f - 35 minutes
185*f - 15 min
205*f - 15 min
Mixed with 320 G vegetable glycerin.

Put into a sanitized quart mason jar. Placed a zip bag over mouth and then screwed on lid. Did this to keep lid clean due to almost daily shake and turning over. Put it in a dark sock to keep light out. Let it sit for 60+ days.

I didn't sample it prior to sixty days, just a length of time I committed to letting it steep.

Warmed it up on straining day to get it real loose. Strained thru a fine metal strainer. Then all the material I pressed with the ricer to extract the rest of the glycerin. Only lost 7 g as residual.

Did a simple decarb method for second batch i made.

2nd Batch:

80 G Black CHerry Soda small broken down piece
Decarbed: 40 minutes at 215*F
Then after cooled hand rolled little pieces to grind it up a little more.

added 730 G Vegetable Glycerin

Left it on the ballast to stay warm. Turned & Shook daily, lived in the sock to stay dark. Marinated for seventy some days, and went thru same straining procedure.

Both came out a nice amber color. I consume them out the jar or will mix some into my tea.

Most intriguing HatchBrew. Thanks for the recipes.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Lucky Charms only went 57 days this time. This clone was a little bit smaller when flowered (less veg time) and stayed pretty short after a single pinch and a bit of LST. I didn't realize quite how short she was until I pulled her out of the tent. In any case, her buds are thoroughly frosted and nicely thick.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Note the volunteer tomato plant you can see in the last shot.