What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I have an idea for a product -crank the light up and down from outside the tent.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I will probably tinker around making one of these... Remember how the old water wells cranked the water bucket up and down, by winding the rope around the axle as they cranked it?

Run a axle-shaft front to rear at the top of the tent, and use a crank to wind the ropes from pulleys connected between the light and the axle, located at each top corner, the pair in back and the pair in front, winding corner ropes at the back and the front of the tent. That keeps the ropes out of the way. Wrap the rope in directions opposite, so the ropes come on/off the same direction as the axle is rotated. 1 diameter axle would raise or lower 3" per revolution. Ratchet to make it secure, in both directions.

Easy accessory to make for tents. Eliminates having to go inside to adjust the lights by reaching way back in there on a 4 x 4 tent, too often, as buds grow to the lights.

If there was a thermal reading from a sensor on the light looking down at the tops, sensor like they use to measure your corona virus temp, when you enter somewhere - then you could adjust the lights as needed and avoid leaf temp issues. The readout display should be by the crank there outside the tent, and also it would be nice to have a remote readout and logger.

Now make it interesting by motorizing the axle, and controlling the height based on the thermal reading .

That would be easy with the bar LED lights they have now - just put the sensor between the bars. Doesn't even have to be part of the light design - aftermarket piggybak light hanger. Those lights only weigh about 30 pounds and don't have electronic boxes in the way.

When I get high, I am a genius. Lazy, dread work and dread screwing up even worse, muther of invention, kinda genius.

Last edited: