What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat auto watering

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
well, set up my blumats last night. still having to adjust them to avoid runoff. highly recommended....so far. the tubing that comes with the set i ordered is fairly shitty but besides that they are rockin
Gotta order the 30m coil of dripper hose and make dripper lines long as you need, those little pieces SUCK, they end up dictating how you run your lines.
I think the whole coil is like 30 bucks.
Re: runoff try dialing in about 3 arrows instead of 2.
Also, pack soil a little bit.
Also, they recommend 8cm of hose sticking out, unless you are using big pots, I shorten this to around 5cm, makes the unit shut off a bit snappier,IMO.
Hope this helps!

SD

Can these be used for Coco? More specifically, sixteen 5'' square containers...8 containers in each 11''x20'' tray in a 2'x2' area? After my Afghans and Mazars are finished i'll be going SOG with my GDP mom and i'm looking to set up some sort of "drip to waste" type deal as that will make feeding easier and give me the freedom of getting out of the house for longer, extended periods of time.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Can these be used for Coco? More specifically, sixteen 5'' square containers...8 containers in each 11''x20'' tray in a 2'x2' area? After my Afghans and Mazars are finished i'll be going SOG with my GDP mom and i'm looking to set up some sort of "drip to waste" type deal as that will make feeding easier and give me the freedom of getting out of the house for longer, extended periods of time.

Maybe....I don't know.

I've only had mine going for a few days but I am using them in coco with great results. The first day or two I had some runoff but after some adjustments they are watering just up to the point of runoff and stopping. Very happy so far and hopefully there aren't issues with salt buildup etc.

I thought about this also. These are ceramic? Metal salts tend to accumulate around sprayers, so I assume that an even finer membrane would clog more easily.

There are two kinds of blumat. One that feeds directly through the ceramic and one where the ceramic cone simply controls the flow of water through the drip tube. We are using the drip one, the other is called a blumat jr. Nothing to really get clogged with 'salts' in the drip one.

G

its fantastic ! you can go on travel a month without worrying about your plant i presume ? don't you think we can use mineral nutrients with blumat ? im not a big fan of biomineral nutrients, i prefer organic agriculture but i don't think organic food will be ok with this kind of system so mineral can help sometimes...this just my opinion i can understand you don't think the same....peace

dg

Well, having my first bit of trouble. Nothing major, but random blumat's keep overwatering and creating a little mini flood each time. Even ones that seem to have been dialed in for 4 days will randomly overflow overnight. When it happens i've been cranking em a little more closed obviously, so far i don't think any have repeated the problem after being fixed. Simple solution for now is to create a better drainage/tray system to collect more water. Or maybe now that i've tweaked most of them multiple times they will just stop.....but thats what i thought after the first time.. CMoon could it have something to do with the length of tube coming out of the cap? should i shorten them? This is becoming a problem now that they have gone to flower and I can't check them for 12 hours at a time..

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Well, having my first bit of trouble. Nothing major, but random blumat's keep overwatering and creating a little mini flood each time. Even ones that seem to have been dialed in for 4 days will randomly overflow overnight. When it happens i've been cranking em a little more closed obviously, so far i don't think any have repeated the problem after being fixed. Simple solution for now is to create a better drainage/tray system to collect more water. Or maybe now that i've tweaked most of them multiple times they will just stop.....but thats what i thought after the first time.. CMoon could it have something to do with the length of tube coming out of the cap? should i shorten them? This is becoming a problem now that they have gone to flower and I can't check them for 12 hours at a time..
I pack the soil a bit AND I SHORTEN the dripline a bit,( about 2cm) makes the cone more responsive.Use the black garden trays, I do.
If you dial them down TOO much, the soil will dry and cake,when the water flows it finds a channel to the bottom, therby bypassing the cone.
Also, try making a small collection depression under the drip hose this helps it soak in and not run off.
The other big precaution I take when first dialing in is I put just enough water in the res for , say 12hr, that helps minimise the chance for any issues.
Hope this helps.
SD:joint:

C

CMoon

top advice sunnydog........once you get to grips with the little tips and tricks there a great tool......i tend to service the cones at least once threw a grow about 25 days in bloom

I just sent away for this system as I'm going away for a week and can't rely on the wife. I have very small containers (1 and 1.5 gal) and I'm wondering if this is going to pose a problem? I have 2 weeks to test and only 7 plants.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another question...when you say "water", do you mean "feed" as well? If so, is there any chance of clogging, say using something like PBP?

cmoon, im at about 15 days of flower, the blumats seem to be doing fine (there are 2 plants out of 15 that are having some kind of deficiency problem, but im still troubleshooting that....). can you explain this "servicing" of the blumats?

G

Another question...when you say "water", do you mean "feed" as well? If so, is there any chance of clogging, say using something like PBP?

yes i am interested about this too fellows, can you help ? thanks

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I have always run pure water thru mine, however I do believe others have run nutes with success.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I am looking for them for about one year. Does anybody knows a good europe source? Nice thread! :wave:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I am looking for them for about one year. Does anybody knows a good europe source? Nice thread! :wave:

Thank you.
I know they are made in Austria, if that helps.
Try Google? I think I saw a shop in GB that had them.

I am blown away that these are not more widely known.

How are they working for the other guys who are trying them?

SD:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts