What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Seeds Malawi & Bangi Congo X Panama Goddess F10 (aka Congo Bongo)

FinFarmer

Hi FinFarmer,

Both sativa strains are looking great in your tent. :)
I wouldn't spray with pyrethrins or with other natural insecticides with strong odor (like neem) now in flowering. To try to stop the thrips you can use light blue adhesive strips, it will help a lot to lower down the number of the thrips populations, without spray anything over your plants.

Sweet carrot aromas are my favourite terpene profile to be found in Malawi line. ;)
The earthy hashy in your Bangi Congo x Panama Goddess comes without any doubt from the Bangi Congo parental plant, Panama Goddess has a very distinctive lemony/incensey terpene profile.

Thanks for the updates and best wishes for the rest of the flowering! :yes:

Hello dubi,

I agree with not using sprays at this stage, no matter how "natural" they are. I do have few "blue traps" within the plants, but surprisingly they don't seem to be fooled by these blue death machines. I do slaughter them on daily bases with my fingers.

Have you tried using UVC light for pest problems?
I have one UVC light (for sterilising water) that I might be able to modify for that use. I have no experience of using UVC light so I don't know would it kill thrips...

I'm glad sweet carrot aromas are your favourite ones in Malawi! The aroma is almost overwhelming and seems to get sweeter still, well it is not even half way through flowering so no surprise there. I haven't had that kind of sweetness ever before, I think. Cannot wait for the end results.

With Bangi Congo X Panama Goddess there's absolutely no lemony scent, so Bangi Congo surely is dominant with this girl.
By the way, I'm surprised to see that Bangi Congo X Panama's "hairs" are turning brown already even though it has flowered only about 6 weeks.
I figured maybe I had pushed her little bit too much and dropped EC from 1.6 to 1.2 yesterday. Hopefully that will help.
Or maybe the Congo side is very dominant and it won't take more than 10 weeks to finish. Well who knows... Maybe you? :)

Thanks for clarifying terpene profiles and tips for thrips!
I'll post some pictures again tomorrow (Sunday) and so on...

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi FinFarmer,

Maybe your indoor cabinet is so saturated with blue colors from the LEDs that the thrips don't pay much attention to the blue adhesive strips :)

I haven't tried yet the UVC lights you comment to disinfect, i have heard they are very useful to avoid mildew but not sure with thrips, sorry i cannot help much on this.

The terpene profile you have described and the fast flowering in your Bangi Congo x Panama female confirm she leans towards the Bangi Congo side of the hybrid.
Panama Goddess needs approx 12 weeks to mature, while Bangi Congo is much faster, finishing 2 weeks earlier, after around 10 weeks of flowering.

FinFarmer

Hi FinFarmer,

Maybe your indoor cabinet is so saturated with blue colors from the LEDs that the thrips don't pay much attention to the blue adhesive strips :)

I haven't tried yet the UVC lights you comment to disinfect, i have heard they are very useful to avoid mildew but not sure with thrips, sorry i cannot help much on this.

The terpene profile you have described and the fast flowering in your Bangi Congo x Panama female confirm she leans towards the Bangi Congo side of the hybrid.
Panama Goddess needs approx 12 weeks to mature, while Bangi Congo is much faster, finishing 2 weeks earlier, after around 10 weeks of flowering.

Hi dubi,

You maybe right with with blue LEDs making blue strips ineffective, especially with the Vipaspectra LEDs are heavy on blue side of the spectrum.
I made some adjustments that hopefully will help with the heat problem so I could start using my HPS's. Interesting to see will thrips find their way to blue adhesive strips after I'm able to change the lights.

I think I have to give UVC light a change. UVC light that is supposed to be used under water + man who has no electrical training... what could possibly go wrong :)

ULMW

FinFarmer, Nice to hear that you switching the LEDS to the warmer Lights. When I read the above post I also wondered if the increased blue spectrum increased thrip activity.
Anyway UVC wand waving may help
along with chanting some Harry Potter spells at the same time, lol.
See you soon. Happy growing!

ULMW

P.s. The Bangi Congo X Panama really does seem to be flying along doesn't it? Really nice to have the two phenos between us to study, and report on. Lovely plants. Glad the Malawi is bringing you much joy and sweet vibes !
Happy growing!

FinFarmer

FinFarmer, Nice to hear that you switching the LEDS to the warmer Lights. When I read the above post I also wondered if the increased blue spectrum increased thrip activity.
Anyway UVC wand waving may help
along with chanting some Harry Potter spells at the same time, lol.
See you soon. Happy growing!

Hi ULMW,

I just finished changing lighting completely, HPS's it is + 2 Spider COB 90W LED's.
I had to delay the UVC experiment because, can you imagine, everything didn't go as planned. Well nothing too bad. I found out that it will take some time to convert water steriliser to a thrip killing beast.
Well when I get back to work I should have time to finish it.

Don't no many Harry Potter spells but surely will conjure some sort thrip demon to visit those little satans.

FinFarmer

P.s. The Bangi Congo X Panama really does seem to be flying along doesn't it? Really nice to have the two phenos between us to study, and report on. Lovely plants. Glad the Malawi is bringing you much joy and sweet vibes !
Happy growing!

Yeah it does, however I have a feeling that is shouldn't happen so quickly, if I understood what you meant.
Somethings wrong I think. Will post my thoughts on reasons why so.
See you!

FinFarmer

Bangi Congo X Panama & Malawi day 43 12/12

Bangi Congo X Panama & Malawi day 43 12/12

Good evening,

Day 43 and time to make some changes. I think My Viparspectra 600W was too close to the plants and BCP doesn't like that too much and Malawi seem to have few light burns on leaves. Main problem is that my grow room is only about 2 meters tall (or high or something, you'll get the point) and I couldn't raise the lamp anymore.
LED's burn the leaves quite easily, well some LED's do. Viparspectra's has 5W chips and the produce pretty intense light. 30 cm is too close.
Not sure though but anyways...

Now I have 2 X HPS's (max 825W each) running on 465W both. They are on top of other plants unfortunately but will deliver some light for Malawi and CBP also.
There are also Spider COB 90W LED's on top of both plants. They're little more sensitive lights form the small distance they are forced to shine.
Well see how the temps will change.

I was about to convert UVC water steriliser to a thrip killing (maybe) machine, but it wasn't so easy I was expecting. Will build it within couple of days and if it works or not I will write about it. If my long gone memory allows me.

Malawi's aroma is super sweet. So sweet that after a meditative smoke I can take a sniff of the plant and almost take care of my sugar munchies.

Bangi Congo X Panama has also very pleasant aroma but different kind.
I'm going to be a happy camper when the time comes to test them both!

Ok, to sum how it is going... Plants are growing pretty fine, but here's are some concerns I have:

Temperature's are too hot especially "night time" temps. There should be perhaps 7°C difference between night and day in generative stage, and that's not the case, but I'm hopeful it will get better soon.

Still some thrips, but not too many.

Light burns, but hopefully these changes will help.

Possibility of ethylene in (almost) closed space. I might have to loosen my tin foil hat.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• BCP (Viparspectra).jpg
    BCP (Viparspectra).jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Malawi (Viparspectra).jpg
    Malawi (Viparspectra).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Lights.jpg
    Lights.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 10
  • BCP (HPS+SpiderCOB).jpg
    BCP (HPS+SpiderCOB).jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Malawi (HPS+SpiderCOB).jpg
    Malawi (HPS+SpiderCOB).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Bigger picture.jpg
    Bigger picture.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 9

ULMW

FinFarmer, Lovely updates and great pics. Those Malawi Fan leaves are huge!!! Also your BC X P is flying along thanks to DWC technique. Mine are tiny in comparassion. Still they are also showing signs of early finishers. Hope the new lights will reward the plants with even more confort..A little bit of leaf bleaching coz of the Lights is no worry. You already nicely moved forward. Rest yourself and enjoy the remainder of their grow. Happy growing!

deepwaterdude

Wow, things have gone full jungle on you, FinFarmer-king of YoYos;) (That is a serious yoyo constellation, the calculations for which defy my little smoky mind.)

I hear you with the big LEDs; I've got bleaching and funnyish growth on the tops that were less than 30cm from the Black Doggie. I just switched out the blurple panels for a Nextlight Mega. Almost worrisome how cool it runs compared to the others. It being hard to keep appropriate light distance with these big sativas is a good problem to have;) Beautiful stuff, dwd

FinFarmer

FinFarmer, Lovely updates and great pics. Those Malawi Fan leaves are huge!!! Also your BC X P is flying along thanks to DWC technique. Mine are tiny in comparassion. Still they are also showing signs of early finishers. Hope the new lights will reward the plants with even more confort..A little bit of leaf bleaching coz of the Lights is no worry. You already nicely moved forward. Rest yourself and enjoy the remainder of their grow. Happy growing!

Hi ULMW,

The early finishing is something I'm a bit worried about, but we'll see will the changes I made help. Too much heat might very well fasten the finishing and reduce yield and potency...

FinFarmer

Wow, things have gone full jungle on you, FinFarmer-king of YoYos;) (That is a serious yoyo constellation, the calculations for which defy my little smoky mind.)

I hear you with the big LEDs; I've got bleaching and funnyish growth on the tops that were less than 30cm from the Black Doggie. I just switched out the blurple panels for a Nextlight Mega. Almost worrisome how cool it runs compared to the others. It being hard to keep appropriate light distance with these big sativas is a good problem to have;) Beautiful stuff, dwd

Hi deepwaterdude,

The jungle in the picture in mostly Green Crack and some Peach Puree CBD and also few leaves of Blueberry Gum. That's about half of the jungle. I have around 100 yoyo's waiting for buds to grow. I really like them, in case you didn't figure it out :)

In my veg chamber there are growing following strains waiting:
Zamaldelica (Ace Seeds), Green Crack, Ace of Spades (TGA), Fighting Buddha (Chimera), The Dom X Blockhead (Chimera), Citra Paradiso (Chimera)... maybe something else, don't remember.

Wow you have Black Dog LED's, I'm a bit envy now! It still surprises me who the LED's burn plants even though there's not much heat produced by the lights.
Just checked the Nextlight Mega lights and they seem excellent lights! I didn't know the brand before.
Next LED's I'll get will be either Black Dog or Advanced Platinum...

FinFarmer

Malawi & Bangi Congo X Panama day 50 12/12

Malawi & Bangi Congo X Panama day 50 12/12

Hello,

Time for a weekly update. It has been now 50 days 12/12 and there's some problems still.

Bangi Congo X Panama leaves are yellowing and leaf tips are curling up.
There can be few different options why this is happening but I guess main issue is the heat and humidity.
Winter please come soon. All the hairs are already brown but trichomes are still clear/cloudy so I'm not going to chop it down yet.
I didn't find my usb microscope to take some macro shots from trichomes. When I find it I will post some closeups even though its quality is pretty bad.

I'm a bit embarrassed to post these kind on pictures because I don't think there's anything wrong with the Ace genes but I haven't been able to provide proper conditions for the ladies.

Malawi is doing way better maybe because there must be quite hot in it's homeland in Malawi.
It is actually growing nicely and the smell is still amazing. Total carrot sweetness and I really like that.

I didn't get my hands on the plants for a couple of days because of some reasons...
that didn't help. I normally am able to keep my grow space door open at night (daytime for plants) and that helps a lot with temps and humidity.

After this grow seasons first harvest things should get way easier so I'll do some grow journal then.
I have one Zamaldelica in DWC waiting for room to flower so I guess I'll go with that. I also have very interesting strains from Chimera but we'll see what I'll do.

Ok, that's it for now.

ULMW

Greetings FinFarmer,
Pray you are well and your garden feeling cooler tonight as tenps outside are 6 degrees and a slight wind.
Winter will soon be here.
Malawi loves the high temps and high intensity lights. Lovely how the carroty pheno sounds and how happy she is making you.
Bangi Congo x Panama Goddess is on her final countdown so the leaves and tips will be more nute sensitive . Maybe flush her and allow the remaining time til chop on bare minimal nutes. My one is also maturing steadily and still clear to cloudy. Leaves are healthy and I feel it is going to be a delightful end product!
Looking forward to your Zamaldelica grow too!
Happy growing!!!

deepwaterdude

Hmmm, if they're having trouble uptaking nutrients I'd check water temps, which i'm sure you do, see if they need to be chilled or heated... do you look at your roots from time to time to see if they're healthy? A pest or root rot will shut down flower as happened for one dwc Panama I ran. She was a beast in veg and petered out in flower, though quality was excellent.

On the LED subject, I'd personally go BD over Advanced Led; these things have rocked for years, always top 3 since they've been out. Proof is in how much plants respond to them, and I ran their oldest model, probably running at 75% efficiency by now and with a row of diodes out;) I don't yet know how the plants are responding to the Next Light in comparison.

May winter come soon for you and stay far from me;)

FinFarmer

Hmmm, if they're having trouble uptaking nutrients I'd check water temps, which i'm sure you do, see if they need to be chilled or heated... do you look at your roots from time to time to see if they're healthy? A pest or root rot will shut down flower as happened for one dwc Panama I ran. She was a beast in veg and petered out in flower, though quality was excellent.

On the LED subject, I'd personally go BD over Advanced Led; these things have rocked for years, always top 3 since they've been out. Proof is in how much plants respond to them, and I ran their oldest model, probably running at 75% efficiency by now and with a row of diodes out;) I don't yet know how the plants are responding to the Next Light in comparison.

May winter come soon for you and stay far from me;)

Hello deepwaterdude,

Water temps are little too high, around 23°C, but I'm not sure if it is the problem. Roots looks white and healthy even though the water temps are slightly high.
I moved her out of straight light and gave her just plain water, hoping she would recover herself. Don't have big hopes for that but have to try something. Quality however looks really nice...

Thanks for the tip of LED lights!
I have read that BD LED's are maybe the best ones in the market so I might go for them at some point.
But first I would have to sell some of my old lights because I have too many of them.

Yeah, more summer for you and more winter for me, thanks!
Summer is welcome again in April or June when I've had enough botanical performances. My life pretty much revolves around these plants from autumn to spring because of my work and hobby.
:)

FinFarmer

Malawi day 58 12/12 (Bangi Congo X Panama)

Malawi day 58 12/12 (Bangi Congo X Panama)

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

Almost two month flowering behind.
Bangi Congo X Panama is in darkness and I'll cut it down tomorrow, I think. Will post some pics after that.
BCP had some bad issues because I couldn't supply proper conditions. I think main issue was the heat also maybe too much fertilizers.

Malawi is doing nicely especially because I did some major changes on my grow space air flow and managed to start directing some hot air outdoors. I got this carbon filter with 800m3/h capacity and extractor fan with max 400m3/h. No smell what so ever outdoors!
I should have done this long time ago but it is what it is.

Now the temps are around 24°C and no problem with water temps either.

I ordered Advanced Platinum P450 LED (deepwaterdude, didn't have the money to get Black dog LED). It will take few days to arrive. I will be using it along with my HPS's.
Viparspectra 600W works very well in my 1m X 1m veg chamber.

Ok, back to Ace ladies. I fucked up Bangi Congo X Panama big time and that's not something I'm proud of. Hopefully Malawi will be happy still few weeks.
I planted Ace seeds "Bubba Kush X Purple PCK" that I got from a friend of mine couple of days ago and sure enough it is firmly searching for light. Fast one this lady!
If I have the energy, I will start a new thread for her.

And yes, Malawi's smell is still amazingly sweet carrot. I love it. Really.
I sure hope it will produce enough leaves with trichomes to make proper water hash. I've been very into making all kinds of hash last few years. Nice way to preserve a small piece of plant that doesn't get bad in fridge.

Have to post one pic of my Green Crack (that I'm not too interested) because it is a monster grower. Shit, it takes 1 square meter of space in my scrog. It didn't fit in the picture fully...

And here's a couple of pics from Malawi. I will try to get good picture when it is ready to harvest and I can get it out from the small grow room.

Good night.

Attachments

• Malawi.jpg
    Malawi.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 10
  • MalawiCloseUp.jpg
    MalawiCloseUp.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 7
  • GreenCrack.jpg
    GreenCrack.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 11

FinFarmer

Malawi day 64 12/12

Malawi day 64 12/12

Hello,

Small update on day 64 (pictures from yesterday, day 64).
Malawi is doing fine maybe little bit too much nutes again but otherwise no big problems.
I've cut down some of nitrogen supply.
AN Connoisseur Bloom (I used Sensi before, but after using them all I now changed to Connoisseur) instructions says 4ml/L of water both A (NPK 3.0.0) and B (2.4.10).
I never use so much nutes, normally 2ml/L or something.
Now I use A 1ml/L and B 3ml/L.
Perhaps next time I change waters I'll add only part B.

I now realised that Malawi has been flowering almost 10 weeks out of 10-13W, but it will still take some time I believe.

Dubi if you happen read this, do you have any tips how long this "sweet carrot/mandarine genotype or phenotype might take to finish?

Damn, it was my day off today and carrier was trying to bring my Advanced Platinum P450 LED to my workplace. Have to wait for tomorrow (I hope) to get some extra light for Malawi.

I now have feminized Ace Panama seedling growing and also Fighting Buddha from Chimera that is a male. I'm not quite sure though do I want to use feminized plant on breeding. Any ideas anyone?

Here's two pictures from Malawi:

Have a good evening everyone!

FinFarmer

Hello,
Actually now that I look closely Fighting Buddha is female and the male is The Dom X Blockhead (Schnazzleberry #4?). So any ideas anyone is it worth the trouble to let Schnazz get busy with Ace's Panama?
For my taste it sounds pretty nice hybrid, possibly even good enough to create true hybrid vigor. Not sure how stabilised Schnazzleberry #4 is though. And of course there's this possibility that I've misunderstood what "hydrid vigor" means...

FinFarmer

Malawi day 72 12/12

Malawi day 72 12/12

Hello,

Quick update on Malawi situation.
It has been little over ten weeks since I change photoperiod and now it is getting closer on finish.

Trichomes are mostly cloudy and only few amber ones to be found, so I will wait atleast week or two before chop time.

No more Advanced Nutrients. Only GHE Ripen (I don't like using GHE because some ethical issues but I'll make this ecception) about 4ml/L of water. I started using Ripen few days ago and will continue to do so maybe 5 days or so, than only water till the end.

I also got my new Advanced Platinum P450 LED, and have to say it is bright. Really bright. Seriously. Malawi is getting some LED love but not much. Other plants really love the light it produces.

Soon this will be over. I have Ace's Panama vegging and it's still quite small, but maybe I'll make another thread with it. Maybe.

here's two pics of Malawi:

Right, that's it.

Attachments

• Malawi.jpg
    Malawi.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 8
  • MalawiClose.jpg
    MalawiClose.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 13