What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fox farms grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Geeze i just thought I would let you know the potting soil is not organic, so I will jog, well golf cart out to my ORGANIC garden, have a great grow...

Badfishy1

Geeze i just thought I would let you know the potting soil is not organic, so I will jog, well golf cart out to my ORGANIC garden, have a great grow...

Thanks m8. Enjoy the ride! Appreciate your concern. I must ask tho, is your organic garden completely enclosed?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
So far I love it but... I haven't had a harvest with it yet. But it definitely is easier to water. Don't have to water in stages if soil overdried. I think its to wet for clones, seems to be taking longer.

I am going to agree with EsterEssence and repeat that FoxFarm soils are not organic. The bags used to say "Natural and Organic" but for the last 5 or so years have just said "Natural". Reasons for not being labeled organic 1) not certified, 2) they got caught spiking soils with ammonium fertilizers in order to help aid in the breakdown of the forest products that make up a large portion of the medium. This is why so many growers say ocean forest is hot and can burn seedling. I have also talked to a number of growers who stopped using Ocean Forest after opening bags with a strong urea smell...

Badfishy1

I am going to agree with EsterEssence and repeat that FoxFarm soils are not organic. The bags used to say "Natural and Organic" but for the last 5 or so years have just said "Natural". Reasons for not being labeled organic 1) not certified, 2) they got caught spiking soils with ammonium fertilizers in order to help aid in the breakdown of the forest products that make up a large portion of the medium. This is why so many growers say ocean forest is hot and can burn seedling. I have also talked to a number of growers who stopped using Ocean Forest after opening bags with a strong urea smell...

Ugh this again... yes fox farms is not certified organic which I not anybody else has claimed it was. It IS however, based on raw definition 'organic' which is absolutely unable to be argued.

'Boogieman'

Wow, I have experienced the urea smell opening a bag of FFOF and didn't think anything of it. I haven't used it in years because of the price but that really bothers me.

Fiddynut

Good afternoon badfishy1.

I use happy frog for popping seeds and then mix happy frog and ocean forest 1:1 for my first transplant, then straight ocean forest for the last transplant before flower. Sometimes I add perlite to the mix. It's easy to find and works well for me. The only issue I've had is sometimes it comes with fungus gnats in the bags of soil so I use mosquito dunks and yellow sticky traps to kill them off. Good luck with your grow...Fiddy.

Badfishy1

Good afternoon badfishy1.

I use happy frog for popping seeds and then mix happy frog and ocean forest 1:1 for my first transplant, then straight ocean forest for the last transplant before flower. Sometimes I add perlite to the mix. It's easy to find and works well for me. The only issue I've had is sometimes it comes with fungus gnats in the bags of soil so I use mosquito dunks and yellow sticky traps to kill them off. Good luck with your grow...Fiddy.

Thanks for stopping in fiddy! Hope all is well m8

Ugh this again... yes fox farms is not certified organic which I not anybody else has claimed it was. It IS however, based on raw definition 'organic' which is absolutely unable to be argued.

I love how you asked for peoples experiences and then get bummed on them when they tell you their experience and knowledge. I have used a lot of ocean forest and happy frog just not for 6-8 years. The raw definition of organic is totally arguable and as I said before fox farm has been caught using ammonium nitrate which is a salt. Salts are not part of traditional organic philosophy. I also don't think its horrible to use salts and have done a lot of non organic gardening in the past. Just trying to add to the conversation. Sorry if you just want a thread on how great FF is...

Badfishy1

I love how you asked for peoples experiences and then get bummed on them when they tell you their experience and knowledge. I have used a lot of ocean forest and happy frog just not for 6-8 years. The raw definition of organic is totally arguable and as I said before fox farm has been caught using ammonium nitrate which is a salt. Salts are not part of traditional organic philosophy. I also don't think its horrible to use salts and have done a lot of non organic gardening in the past. Just trying to add to the conversation. Sorry if you just want a thread on how great FF is...

Bummed? Not a bit lad... never once did I or anybody mention organic certification. Everybody loves sucking the OMRI tip yet fails to realize OMRI in no way shape or form is able to certify anything as organic. I've admitted repeatedly FF is not certified... sooo your point is what exactly?

PowderJunkie

I used ffof and happy frog when I went indoors years ago. The biggest issue was fungus gnatts, which were controlled with Gnatrol. After I started mixing my own soil and reusing it, the gnats went away.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Mr. Badfishy,. U said u have friend that uses salamander soil. Are they using it inside or out? I am in the middle of both now. Haven't found much info about using it outside, so I just decided to experiment.

Badfishy1

Mr. Badfishy,. U said u have friend that uses salamander soil. Are they using it inside or out? I am in the middle of both now. Haven't found much info about using it outside, so I just decided to experiment.

Primarily inside... however he takes a portion of his used soils from inside then mixes with other soils and amendments then uses the soil at another outdoor location.

It's all good Badfishy... What you don't seem to be getting is that foxfarm is not only not certified which i don't care about. I use amendments that aren't certified eg. fish powder, seabird guano, neem oil, compost, etc... Fox farm has been caught using salts in their soil eg. Ammonium nitrate. Not organic in any sense of the word. I still think you can grow good weed with and I would smoke it if you grow right (doesn't need to be organic certified or not). Also fox farm has some integrity because they won't sell directly to a hydro shop in my area anymore because it was sold and now has ties to scotts/monsanto. I am done now. Enjoy your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.