What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Farmin' Without Harmin'

Calliandra

View Image
The turning point. This is where we made the choice to make this our lives.

We bought a farm near the coast of northwestern Michigan. It has been our dream, it is how I grew up and it is for sure where we belong. We bought an old run down farmhouse on nice property for cheap. Cheap being key, and run down. lol

We planned to live downstate, fix the farmhouse and move up when ready. Nope, my Wife was offered a job and off we went to the north! So shitty farmhouse, northern michigan winter and our desire to live sustainably and as close to off-grid as we can get, while growing indoors.

The farm is now my job. I am turning my passion for cannabis and community involved agriculture into our lives not just our dreams. More on that as we progress.

Stay tuned!

View Image

What a lovely story! Looking forward to more of it :biggrin:

I'm not the best at evaluating these mixes, but for my revised mix I'm working on I'm trying to include more that the worms can't eat. Less vc total % than the 1/3 I used to use, less peat than the 1/3 I used to use. Screened topsoil in place of some of these. My soil gets used over and over in a no till mix. I need a long term mix that will retain its structural integrity over time. These are the things I'm considering when making my mix. You may already be thinking along these lines and be ahead of me. Any and all organic matter in soil will eventually be eaten by the worms and turned into castings. Then the soil composition is not what you originally intended it to be, and will become denser than ideal. (This is what happened to me over time)

Also, I read way too much amendment / cubic foot of soil.

Also, imo aeration is key and should be around 1/3 of your total soil volume

Just some food for thought..

Nevermind re: amendments
Initially I was reading 90 lbs of amendments / 2.1 cubic foot of soil!

Now I see 4 cups of that mix/ 2 cubic feet of soil.

Calcium is big, we know that. Oyster shell flour has calcium, but how available is it? In what time frame does it become available? These are really important questions I don't have a good answer for yet.

Below that article is another one stating that composted oyster shell flour beats oyster shell flour. I can see that being true. Which brings me to my point. Oyster shell flour as a liming agent is probably much more effective in living organic soil, because of microbial processing of the osf. Thoughts...

Edit: "probably" sounds more like guessing and a lot less like actual science. I am excited to get into the soil testing and test based recommendations for amendments. I think building a properly balanced cannabis friendly soil mix in addition to focusing on the biology in the soil is pretty smart.

Last edited:

MJK

picture.php
\

Last edited: