What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The IC Organic Growers Community Thread.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
MrS im pretty sure that the malt thing is a watering/soil drench rather than foliar. i think its a sugar type deal like molasses but with extra enzymes and goodness.

weird, nice, is the colouful pic a bubba? looks close...

was wondering, everyone, what was the last thing you changed/added to your grows that really made a difference?

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Going organic is giving me some awesomely large plants this year... must be the worm castings and other goodness that is alive in that soil now... instead of dead compacted earth with chemical nutrient drenches we now have some life out there in the garden :)

VortexPower420

Veteran
The thing i added or changed was the addition of my own nutrient rich diverse home made worm castings.

Also I just lucked out and found the mother load of compfrey, so I have nice layer of compfrey it really keeps the surface of the soil nice moist and active.

I have also stared using Coconut water, i have to say damn nice growth response with that as well.

Personally I feel after you get a good soil mix, Worm castings and a good mulch of living and dead plants really helps keep the soil alive and happy. The rest (coconut, aloe, sprouts, teas) are just boosters. The plants will produce most of the same things on their own in a happy healthy soil.

As us dirt nerds know happy soil= happy plants = patients and happy me

Timbuktu

M

MrSterling

The guys in the big plants thread use it foliar and it's in the recipe for that discontinued "Brix-Mix", which was discontinued because the bottles exploded in transit. The company was kind enough to give out the recipe. You'll recognize most of the ingredients, the BRIX crew is on a parallel path I think. Credit goes to user rootzbelow,

"this is the recipe that PVFS sent me if you would like to make your own......

The following are the proportions of ingredients we used in our Brix Mixes

Feel free to change the blend to suit your needs and the availability of the ingredients. You do not have to use every ingredient for the mix to be beneficial. For example: if you don’t have Phytamin 4-3-4, you could sub a liquid fish or a dry fish powder, like HFPC hydrolyzed fish. If you prefer, you can use a liquid kelp extract in place of maxicrop. If you don’t have a trace mineral deficiency, you can do without the MB powdered chelates. Keep in mind that kelps, such as maxicrop, do provide some trace minerals. If you don’t have access to a liquid sulfur, just leave it out of the blend.

Liquid Brix Mix

16.5% Molasses

16.5% non GMO pure Malt

25% Phytamin 4-3-4

24% Humax

16.5% liquid sulfur

1.5% Therm-X 70

Dry Brix Mix

13% Maxicrop

19% Fertall MB Powdered Chelates

31% Powdered sugar

37% Diamond K soluble Sulfate of Potash"

I was planning on doing a foliar spray of TM-7 today (1/4t/gal.), and decided to add some of our school of thought and the BRIX school as the above recipe was a little vague in doses and I don't have much of the ingredients. To the TM-7 I added 2T/gal of Neptune's Harvest fish fertilizer, 1T/gal diastatic malt, 1/4c(4T)/gal of aloe vera extract (I use the Lakewood brand, you want something without preservatives but remember to put it in the refrigerator once it's open), 1/4c(4T)/gal coconut water, and 1T/gal of unsulphured blackstrap molasses.

I was thinking of adding 1T/gal of either kelp, or a smaller dose of neem oil but don't want to introduce any more factors on a first go and would want to bubble the kelp for a bit anyway.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Weird; I think you win so far on yield with that number one photo.

Now for something a little different.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

bigshrimp

Veteran
I've had success using coconut flour as a substitute for coco water. Currently using one tbs flour bubbled for a few hours in water, then dilluted to five gallons with fulvic. Increased vigor in veg, and frost in flower so far.

Here's my little bocking 14 girl

Last edited:

lobsterbush

Hey everybody!

Some lovely nugs in here.

Here is a shot of my current garden after 7 days in flower. Grown in my own recycled mix consisting of peat, compost, perlite, forest duff, alfalfa, plant-tone, DE, bentonite, oyster shell and probably a couple of things I'm forgetting.

picture.php

Come follow along as I look for some new flavors
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=255916

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Must have missed something again.

Thanks for getting this thread going. I've been off and on with all sorts of different organics, but now i'm working on building soil from scratch again. Lots of stuff in there similar to shrimp's stuff with a few other odds and ends thrown in. Been using sprout solution with great effects.

Alfalfa, oats, barley... got true comfrey and the bocking cultivar, a few types of yarrow, mints out the wazoo, and a whole lotta other plants

Lots of love and respect to everyone who has contributed to the discussions and knowledge base. Someday maybe i'll add something back that'll help others out.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the comfrey plants get quite big. here is a 10 year old bocking 14 cultivar.
picture.php

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
I'm still a little scared to take the plunge into recycled soil. I'm really happy with the results I get with a peat/perlite/ewc/lime/bone/blood/kelp/greensand/biotonesuperstarter mix with just water. I have really grown quite fond of my blumat drippers so I don't want to have to use teas throughout my flowering cycle.
I grow in 75 gallon beds, 2 per 1kW.

This is Casey Jones at 62 days, after a 2 year growing hiatus on my part -

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

M

MrSterling

Lapides it doesn't sound like you're too far off. Just reuse what you have and start from here. Other than the biotone you and I are pretty much on par with ingredients. I wouldn't worry so much about the teas as a big issue.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
My biggest fear is not really knowing how much of whatever to add back in. Too much, too little, it just really bothers me. Mainly because I have such consistent results mixing new stuff the same way every time. I don't have to think about or guess about anything. I tried reusing once, and the result seemed to be fine. But anything after that, I get really nervous about having too much or not enough of something.

VortexPower420

Veteran
So I was reading the lancaster ag quarterly pamphlet and Dr Paul Dettloff Recommends adding 5 things to foliar sprays

Proteins/Aminos - Fish hydroslyate or other source
Trace elements - seaweed, sea minerals
Sugar - Molasses, Diatastic malt
Carbon - Fulvic acids

VortexPower420

Veteran
Damn thing sent without my permission..... Ill try again

So I was reading the lancaster ag quarterly pamphlet and Dr Paul Dettloff was talking about increasing mineral content in forage grasses and how to improve their protein content and healthy growth rates.
He recommends adding 5 things to foliar sprays

Proteins/Aminos - Fish hydroslyate or other source
Trace elements - seaweed, sea mineral
Sugar - Molasses, Diatastic malt
Carbon - Fulvic acids
Sea salt - for EC on the leaf surface

I use a foliar of 1 tlbs/gal Organic Neptunes, Water from a kelp soak, 1 tsp molasses, 30 ml Ful-power, and 1 tlbs Seacrop

Plants respond in a positive fashion

Timbuktu

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
recycling works for me, but i also struggle with the lack of knowing exactly what is 'left' in my soil mix. i wouldnt say the results are any better than only using the soil once (i used to re-use my cannabis soil in the general garden), but you probably get the benefit of some of the amendments a lot more in a recycled soil.

W89

Veteran
@ Lapides Thats why it's best to add a diverse mix of feeds, then you wont have to worry, as you will have everything available at different times, aslong as you keep adding the diverse mix then you will be gravy

Latest posts

Latest posts