What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Turning Root Hormone Powder into Gel ?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I have TakeRoot for stimulating root creation in cuttings. It's a powder, and I'd like to make it a gel instead.

Would mixing it with starch and water be ok?

or gelatin and water?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
food starch would probably rot, as would agar-agar. How are commercial gels created?

Also, would pure honey suffice? (it's immune to mold/bacteria) maybe honey mixed in with this powder?

bengie187

Its an interesting idea.....the best i can say is give it a try say six with your mix and 6 regular and see what happens

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
get often sticks better to the plant for a longer time than powder so it has its advantages

i mix hormone powder with liquid honey

works like a charm and the honey even has a use for rooting on its own as its partly antiseptic

way cheaper than any bought gel

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
mrred: I was reading this
http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/articles/cloning.htm

There are various products on the market used to promote rooting. They can be found in powder, liquid, and gel forms. Hormex, Clonex, Rootone, are just a few common brand names you might see. Many people claim the powders don't work as well a liquids or gels, I have to agree, probably because coverage and penetration of the stem isn't as complete as with a liquid or gel.

His results ..
Powders: 3 weeks or more
HydroFarm liquid cutting concentrate: 7-14 days
Clonex Purple Gel: 6 days

Gunnarguchi: Sounds good, I'll give it a go.

Thanks!