What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD - I tried it but it did nothing for me

brown_thumb

I ordered a six capsule trial pack of CBD oil. The first night I tried one capsule... nothing. Last night I tried two... nothing. This evening I took the last three... nothing.

I don't know if something is awry with the oil or if I just don't react to it. I do realize CBD doesn't get you stoned. This is why I wanted to try it. I just want something to help with pain, anxiety and insomnia. The CBD isn't helping with any of those issues.

I've been chewing decarbed weed and don't like the stoney feeling plus it's murder on my sense of balance. This is bad because I can barely walk without the cannabis making it worse. It also freaks me out a bit... enough that it's concerning. However, it helps greatly with all the issues mentioned above. A wonderful bonus is the stuff makes me truly happy... joy is something I haven't felt in many years. I had forgotten what it's like to feel so good.

Any suggestions, other than keep looking for a strain/phenotype that works for my needs but won't destroy my sense of balance? I don't want to fall and crack my skull open. I also don't want the psychotic weirdness... well, not as much of it.;)

Dog Star

Veteran
Man... CBD is not psychoactive and will not kick you no matter this are cannabionids..

CBD acts like anti-psychotic so a his action is to made you more normal.. or more normal
than you are usually when you smoke weed that have THC that acts like
psychotic..

So if you expected a kick from CBD than you search on wrong side of cannabionide specter..

I make CBD for a living currently and can tell you most uses claimed are complete bullshit, especially at the dose normally sold. For things like anxiety the literature only shows small increases in effectiveness vs. Placebo at dose of 600mg, at current prices for pure CBD that's about 10-20 dollars a dose.

The full spectrum extracts sold from hemp as "green oil" and "gold oil" are mainly just crudely extracted field hemp. There are some exceptions but if your buying a formulated product there's a good chance it was made with crap.

Since CBD is nonpsychoactive, without rigorous testing, any psychological benefit could easily be a placebo effect. If people can convince themselves they are tripping on fake lsd(water in a vial, pure sugar cubes, etc); it's quite certain a completely nonpsychoactive substance that has been loaded with preconceived notions of pancea like benefits, that placebo actually seems much more reasonabe in many cases.

Physiological benefits such as seizure reduction are much more apparent but even then most respond better to atleast a 1:1 cbd/thc or higher thc ratio.

This is referring to the grey area cbd market that currently exists, not to cbd products sold in medical dispensaries. CBD being bred to produce high cbd/high terpene expressing plants are an entirely different subject. I'm not saying I endorse those products, it's just different then working with hemp and out of my range of experience.

As brown_thumb pointed out, cannabis does have strong side effects for many people which leads to seeking out CBD. Its hard to recommend to anyone, but in my experience, lower tolerance seems to be the issue in most cases. If that's not the case for you, and the positive effects outweigh the negative side effects, then managing the side effects through lifestyle changes or even certain medicatons can be beneficial. As always these are incredibly personal things due to the varying nature of each individual; your mIles may vary.

Last edited:
I ordered a six capsule trial pack of CBD oil. The first night I tried one capsule... nothing. Last night I tried two... nothing. This evening I took the last three... nothing.

I don't know if something is awry with the oil or if I just don't react to it. I do realize CBD doesn't get you stoned. This is why I wanted to try it. I just want something to help with pain, anxiety and insomnia. The CBD isn't helping with any of those issues.

I've been chewing decarbed weed and don't like the stoney feeling plus it's murder on my sense of balance. This is bad because I can barely walk without the cannabis making it worse. It also freaks me out a bit... enough that it's concerning. However, it helps greatly with all the issues mentioned above. A wonderful bonus is the stuff makes me truly happy... joy is something I haven't felt in many years. I had forgotten what it's like to feel so good.

Any suggestions, other than keep looking for a strain/phenotype that works for my needs but won't destroy my sense of balance? I don't want to fall and crack my skull open. I also don't want the psychotic weirdness... well, not as much of it.;)

Its probable the so called cbd caps were grown out of a pack of seeds called cbd, not actually made from a lab verified high cbd cut.

I have horrible back pain and while it wont take it away it works well with my painkillers. If i smoked cbd weed every 3 to 4 hours id manage my pain better. I dont hve a cbd cut. I can only get cbd weed from perscription producers here in canada right now.

I have bad balance from a different medication. Weed helps me so im surprised you have worse balance with it. Maybe try a sativa if a indica makes you woozy. Try popping some cannatonic its a nice hybrid and has a range of phenos from higher thc to a 1:1 to very high cbd.

I could pop a pack of cbd seeds and easily find a cbd pheno. It would be quite obvious when i smoked it, its boring no high weed that ruins any high i have going but it helps me feel better.

I dunno about it helping with anxiety. Other than reducing my back pain it has no other noticable effect. I thought it might all be in my head the first time, so i tried a few more cbd things from lab tested places and it all had a similar effect. To get the most out of it i usually smoke some regular weed after it so i get a little high.

The cbd strains are all really lacking in flavor. I wouldnt mind if someone made a good cbd og cross. LA con would give it some nice flavor too.

Dog Star

Veteran
Weedaholic721 explained nicely... most of market products are of doubtfull quality
or amounts of CBD are not what they need to be..

you grow your own and than made BHO or some other highly concetrated concetrate
and you will then understand power of CBD in proper way..grow organicaly and healthy since you think to ingest it and use for your health.

Than after you made all that come back and report us what is happening and how
you like CBD strains,does they help your medical problems.

Kind regards

brown_thumb

CBD works better in synergy with other cannabinoids including THC. Maybe look for a strain with high CBD, lowish THC and good reviews. An example of one with good reviews is CBD critical cure. See link below.

https://www.leafly.com/indica/cbd-critical-cure/reviews

I've read about the entourage effect and, in my limited experience, this seems to be true for me. For that very reason, I've tried to preserve terpenes as best I can during drying and curing. I'm not very experienced with cannabis but at least one friend thinks this is very good stuff. I've tried various bag weed and tend to agree.

CBD Critical is one of the varieties I grew, among others with similar THC:CBD ratios with 1:1 being what I usually look for. I like it a lot when I smoke it. However, when I chew it I experience dangerously intense balance problems and I don't like the weird psychotic effects. I do love the benefits though. I did recently buy a few seeds with very high THC and low CBD to share with friends who prefer it, and so I can experiment by adding CBD to help moderate psychoactivity.

I know CBD is not psychoactive. But it's reported to help with anxiety, depression, pain, insomnia, etc. The capsules I tried did absolutely nothing to help any problem. However, the brand I tried may be no good, or maybe the batch was bad, or maybe CBD alone just doesn't work for me. I don't know.

Chewing decarbed weed (my grow) works extremely well for all the issues I listed here, except I don't like the terrible loss of balance and psychotic weirdness. I chew for fifteen minutes, masticating the decarbed bud material and swishing the wet cud sublingually and between my gums. Then I swallow it and rinse it all down with a drink. Within 2-4 hours I'm beginning to feel the effects. I made the mistake of chewing too much the first time. OMG... that was trippy for several hours. But again, it did help greatly.

Most of the seeds I grew are claimed to be high CBD and medium or low THC but I assured there is at least some THC in the strains I grew. I've not had any weed tested because I don't know where to send it... I live in a lousy state for cannabis with terrible legal consequences.

RE 'placebo effect': Placebos don't work with me. I'm one of the most pragmatic people I've ever met. I don't believe nor disbelieve in anything until I have absolutely irrefutable proof one way or the other. I highly question just about everything. And I'm agnostic.;)

RE 'extraction techniques': So far I've only heat-pressed a couple of buds. A guy took some of the rosin and added it to a good joint. He said he got lost on the way home... on his own short road. I don't trust myself to do anything potentially dangerous, so making BHO and using other highly flammable material is something I must avoid. Heat pressing is one method I'm safe to use. I'll also try cold ethanol extraction.

For the next grow, I'll take some fresh/green plant material and extract in an Everclear and dry ice bath followed by vacuum assisted lukewarm reclamation of the alcohol. I have a small machine that holds approximately 8 ounces (240ml). It warms the tincture to 105F (41C) and the vacuum assists evaporation. The reclaimed ethanol is then poured back into a bottle. This is an attempt at preserving terpenes but, of course, even this process might lose much or most of them. The concentrates will be taken sublingually.

ANYWAY... I have my answer. Many (not all) CBD products are crap. I need at least some THC for these meds to be effective for me. I'll be growing many varieties and cloning those which work for my needs.

I've read about the entourage effect and, in my limited experience, this seems to be true for me. For that very reason, I've tried to preserve terpenes as best I can during drying and curing. I'm not very experienced with cannabis but at least one friend thinks this is very good stuff. I've tried various bag weed and tend to agree.

CBD Critical is one of the varieties I grew, among others with similar THC:CBD ratios with 1:1 being what I usually look for. I like it a lot when I smoke it. However, when I chew it I experience dangerously intense balance problems and I don't like the weird psychotic effects. I do love the benefits though. I did recently buy a few seeds with very high THC and low CBD to share with friends who prefer it, and so I can experiment by adding CBD to help moderate psychoactivity.

I know CBD is not psychoactive. But it's reported to help with anxiety, depression, pain, insomnia, etc. The capsules I tried did absolutely nothing to help any problem. However, the brand I tried may be no good, or maybe the batch was bad, or maybe CBD alone just doesn't work for me. I don't know.

Chewing decarbed weed (my grow) works extremely well for all the issues I listed here, except I don't like the terrible loss of balance and psychotic weirdness. I chew for fifteen minutes, masticating the decarbed bud material and swishing the wet cud sublingually and between my gums. Then I swallow it and rinse it all down with a drink. Within 2-4 hours I'm beginning to feel the effects. I made the mistake of chewing too much the first time. OMG... that was trippy for several hours. But again, it did help greatly.

Most of the seeds I grew are claimed to be high CBD and medium or low THC but I assured there is at least some THC in the strains I grew. I've not had any weed tested because I don't know where to send it... I live in a lousy state for cannabis with terrible legal consequences.

RE 'placebo effect': Placebos don't work with me. I'm one of the most pragmatic people I've ever met. I don't believe nor disbelieve in anything until I have absolutely irrefutable proof one way or the other. I highly question just about everything. And I'm agnostic.;)

RE 'extraction techniques': So far I've only heat-pressed a couple of buds. A guy took some of the rosin and added it to a good joint. He said he got lost on the way home... on his own short road. I don't trust myself to do anything potentially dangerous, so making BHO and using other highly flammable material is something I must avoid. Heat pressing is one method I'm safe to use. I'll also try cold ethanol extraction.

For the next grow, I'll take some fresh/green plant material and extract in an Everclear and dry ice bath followed by vacuum assisted lukewarm reclamation of the alcohol. I have a small machine that holds approximately 8 ounces (240ml). It warms the tincture to 105F (41C) and the vacuum assists evaporation. The reclaimed ethanol is then poured back into a bottle. This is an attempt at preserving terpenes but, of course, even this process might lose much or most of them. The concentrates will be taken sublingually.

ANYWAY... I have my answer. Many (not all) CBD products are crap. I need at least some THC for these meds to be effective for me. I'll be growing many varieties and cloning those which work for my needs.

Anything involving alcohol destroys the terps. Winterized oil (a step that uses ethanol on bho) has basically no terps thanks to winterization with alcohol. Taking the fats out os all good but it destroys the terps at the same time.

This buisness of chewing weed, its strange. Firstly thats an unusual way to take it. You would be better off making it into food or something.

Sens samples out of your state then to get tested. Put it in the mail and tada. You said you look for 1:1 samples i dont think you are understanding, you cant look for them you have to get them tested. Its not like you have experience with lab verrified stuff to know how a high cbd cut makes you feel.

Honestly ive also tried cbd drops which are just as effective at killing pain. I wouldnt give terps too much of a thought i doubt they actually effect things the way they do a THC high. I havent noticed a difference.

You are right though you do have the right conclusion. Most cbd products are crap. The seeds, half the clones running around, the flowers and so on. Though if you get the right shit it certainly works

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
ive had isolate and man made ratios (thc and cbd) and I have had cbd rich cannabis extracts and the later works for more than just me but the prior not so much

Lucky 7

I've recently tried just cbd as a liquid with almost no notable effect. I then tried and extract of what? 250mg in a vape pen. The vaped product, with 3 tokes, did produce a response as they predicted. Calm, relaxing, some pain relief. I think the true effect would be with a 1:1 ratio. Unfortunately in nonlegal state, not available . . . . Too bad!

The pen delivery system is nothing short of technological miracle. I envy those in a legal state.

Last edited:

Drewsif

The pen delivery system is nothing short of technological miracle. I envy those in a legal state.

Why? Most product is produced by the retailer itself (and in that case it's bullshit 100% of the time without question, no exceptions)

Cbd doesn't work at all. Thats my reality, since the only cbd products i have access to come from dispensaries and Chinese hemp opportunists.

brown_thumb

To be fair, please take note: I only tried ONE offering from ONE manufacturer. Also, I'm a newb to cannabis just looking for safe meds.

Up to this point, it seems the meds I grow for myself are the most effective for my needs. Go figure.....

Natural

This seems to be true for me also, including my mother who tried it just as I did. I believe that cannabis truly is an amazing plant that has tons of medical benefits, but as for straight CBD being useful for my pain or anxiety, it didn't seem to do anything at all.

I tried different brands, doses, and ROA's.
Even dabbing a half gram of CBD isolate in one sitting had no effect.. I also tried a well known extract company's "CBD sap" which didn't do anything for me either.

The strange thing is it seems to work well for my dog because it does seem to help with her hip dysplasia... I still give it to her.