What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GR’s Stacked 315W CMH Vertical, G13 Haze, 2017

gr866

Veteran
After an accidental, decent last grow, two plants,15+ zips, and decent quality, am back with my original plan for last fall. Will be doing a 5 plant vertical grow with coco, screens, and stacked 315 W CMH (3100 K) and drip irrigation.

Grow area - 4x4x6’7” Gorilla tent
Lights – 2 x Nanolux 315W CMH NA
Screens - 21”x 40” Overall working height is 54” (137 cm)
Pots– Two gallon Smart Pots
Medium - Straight Coco
Nutes – Canna Coco A&B, Rhizotonic, Cannazym, Boost and KoolBloom.
Number of plants – 5
Strain – Barneys Farm G13 Haze (4), and Critical Kush (1)

The grow:

Seedlings should be replanted into the two gallon smart pots within a week, one of the G13's is behind by about 6 day or so.

The drip irrigation is a 1/2" setup fed by a 3/4" line that originates in a separate room, from a 10 gal primary rez and a secondary 14 gal rez that recirculates the rez's and keep the primary filled. The manifold is 8 stations, but will plug 3 stations. It will have equal length 1/4" feed lines that I am considering attaching a 1/4" cross that will allow three lines to feed each plant. Each main feed line will have a quick disconnect so I can move the plants in and out of the tent as needed to work on them. Will post pics soon of this setup.
[

I used one of the 315W last grow along with a 400W LED, both hung slightly tilted toward the two plants.
Now this run will be the first time I have run 2 - 315's in a vert grow. I am truly impressed with the 315W for how it responded last grow. Both ballast are outside the tent, have plenty of air movement so I am not that concerned with heat issues, do have extra AC in the small room I am extracting air from, if needed.
Here's a picture of the two fixtures w/o the bulbs.

Will change the height of the lower light stand by removing pvc pipe and replacing with with longer pieces.

I will accept comments, both positive and negative, and suggestion for all you very smart people, with more experience than I.

GR

I am linking this to my Journal.

gr866

Veteran
Due to the number of pics this will be a two parter.

Ok today the Ladies were transplanted from their Solo's to the Smart Pots and have the irrigation setup, tested and ready, less a few tweeks.

Two gallon pots, coco to given level with Solo imbedded to height using 2 cups, one inside the other. This way I can fill the pots, then remove the second cup to have in place a sliced cup for watering in the coco.

The 1st cup with the slits and holes sets in the coco at level, then a solid 2nd cup is place inside the first and the remainder of the coco is put in. Then remove the 2nd solid cup and begin filling the 1st cup with solution, which slowly saturates the coco.

To be con't!

gr866

Veteran
Con't from the previous post,

Once saturated, the cup is removed and now they are ready for the transplants. The seedlings growing in Solo's fits directly into the hole shaped like a Solo.

They are in the tent under and SS400 LED and the drip system is in place but needs more dialing in and straightening up the mess of hoses.

Will grow under the LED for a week or two then remove the LED and add one of the 315's. When the plants get to the right height the second 315 will be added.

Later,

GR

gr866

Veteran
Welcome and please add to the conversation, I am very open to suggestions!

GR

gr866

Veteran
Weekly update!
Day 27 from sprout.

A couple of days behind on my post, took a much needed trip to the Ozarks with my GF.

Had a friend plant sit, gave him written instructions on pH'ing and adding ready made gallons of nute mix, talked to him daily and all seemed fine. But he did not recognize that the plants were drinking more and needed more water/nutes. So got home yesterday and they were lite, lite lite, dry, dry dry, not much wilting but some of the lower leaves on the three largest plant had yellowed. Gave them a good soaking about an hour and then hand watered in the nutes solution with Great White to each plant.
He was very pH conscious and monitor it daily and would make sure it was 5.8 +/-, even though it was set to water every other day, that was fine, he is learning. Setting him up with clones from this grow, so taking him under my wing, lending him extra equipment I have and willing to share all the knowledge I have acquired.
Anyway, no harm no foul, maybe set them back a few days. This morning after the heavy drinch I gave them last night they had taken in most of the solution, so I gave them another good watering.

5/7

5/17

5/8

5/17

5/18

GR

zeke99

What is the CFM of your exhaust fan and what is the temp. differential (inside/outside the tent)?

gr866

Veteran
What is the CFM of your exhaust fan and what is the temp. differential (inside/outside the tent)?

Inside temps range from 78 to 84, outside temp is 75.
I go by the temp in the tent, I have a Max Fan Pro Series, 420 CFM. three speed.
I also have a fan controller, so what I do it set the fan on either of the three speeds and use the controller to set the final speed. I try and maintain between 78 and 84 degrees, that puts my RH around 50%. At present, fan speed is set on 2 and the controller is set right on the low/medium setting.
The plants now are around 15" from the lamp.

GR

gr866

Veteran
Harvested 8/12 & 13
Saturday morning pulled the plants out to give them a good check up, they had a good low ppm flush twice and had their water stopped on Thursday morning so the plants had been drying in the pots for two days, I scoped them and found at least 60% cloudy, 20+% clear and the rest just beginning to turn amber. Turned to my GF and told her to get the trimming scissors and we got busy. Harvested that Critical Kush earlier last week so this weekend GF and I did the G13 Haze.
Total wet weight, 4596 all plants, the G13's averaged 999 g wet weight and the Critical Kush was 600 g. Not sure what that will be dry but being conservative and using a 15% wet to dry ratio it comes to 24.62 zips of good medicine (but never count those chickens and all that crap). Also had around 450 grams of small buds and leaf that will go in the oil also, Should be able to get enough CO for my treatment, I hope so anyway and hope I get enough .
Just before chop.

Now in the tent.
First row of buds

And the full tent, nine rows of buds

Well I will post dry weight when it happens, not totally happy, the Critical Kush will not be grown again and the entire plant is going to make oil. I would have done well weight wise had it not been for that bitch. Second time to try her but won't grow it again.
My little helpers comment, I don't want to take this leaf off it has so much white crystals all over it. My comment, remove it, it is going to be added to everything when we make oil.

Guess I will continue to use the stacked 315's and the vertical growing, very pleased with the lights and the vertical technique.

GR