What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Cannabis History Books?

Green Squall

I've read Cannabis: A History by Martin Booth and of course The Emperor Wears No Clothes. Any other suggestions?

anurag

Marijuana Botany from Robert C. Clarke is good. It's not a history book exactly, but has some cannabis history in it.

zoic

I enjoyed Hashish by Robert Clark

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Darn!. I have had that book sitting a whole foot away from me for about 6 months now and all I can manage to do is read it 5 minutes at a time. If I could break the spine and sit it on my book holder I would read it in a week, but I borrowed and I doubt my bro would appreciate me mangling it. [/FONT]

window

Veteran
I've read Cannabis: A History by Martin Booth and of course The Emperor Wears No Clothes. Any other suggestions?

Cannabis, Evolution and Ethnobotany by Rob Clark and Mark Merlin:tiphat:
All other cannabis history books pale in comparison.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Cannabible 1 has some interesting history in its beginning pages.
Nothing surpasses Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany.
Hashish by RCC is an excellent read as is Marijuana Botany.
The POT BOOK (several authors) is an excellent expose of cannabis medical history.
The Emporer Wears No Clothes is my all time favorite. 11th edition being one of the best because of the inclusion of resource materials (second half of the book).
Then there are the various publications put out by a few breeders. They're not exactly history but they can be use as a resource for placing things in their historical place.

weedtoker

Veteran
The Cannabible 1 has some interesting history in its beginning pages.
Nothing surpasses Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany.
Hashish by RCC is an excellent read as is Marijuana Botany.
The POT BOOK (several authors) is an excellent expose of cannabis medical history.
The Emporer Wears No Clothes is my all time favorite. 11th edition being one of the best because of the inclusion of resource materials (second half of the book).
Then there are the various publications put out by a few breeders. They're not exactly history but they can be use as a resource for placing things in their historical place.

I would add on to those any of Chris Bennett cannabis related books, but the last by Merlin/Clarke (that you mention also) really changed my life lol

cheers

Stan G.

What excellent reading material. I have Hashhish along with many others, but there is still plenty many of great options you all have provided. Thanks!

Drewsif

Dj Short has a small grow book that's worth grabbing for a few bucks. Not much history but its nice to see somone with cred take a jab at modern Cannabis standards.

Somone mentioned Chris Bennet, I've not read the book but the documentary Fire Baptism and The Lost Sacraments is a good one. Although its wrong on a few points, such as saying that anointing oil had weed flowers in it. No, those weights were for hash, not raw flowers!

therevverend

Veteran
About the anointing oil, it depends on the Biblical translation. I've seen versions where hemp is one of the ingredients. I'd be curious what a Biblical scholar would say. King James' translation contains many errors. Wonder what the ingredients are in the original.
The incense that was always burned in temples and churches for thousands of years, I'm pretty sure hemp or hashish was an ingredient quite often. In Hashish Robert Connell Clarke theorizes that incense makers may have been the first to screen cannabis for resin. It would make sense because they have access to the screens and raw materials.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Marijuana the first 12,000 years by Ernest Able, by far the best Cannabis history book.
Not to slight Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany by Merlin and Clarke. Which is great.
-SamS

Boss Cocky

“Cannabis” by Chris Duvall is very good. It has some great material on Africa and busts some myths on hemp.