What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best time time start

mikado1

When is the best time to start seeds for monster trees? I'm talking about in 3gal smartpots first then on to 200gal to finish up in.

Last edited:

petert

I just popped seeds.. have cuttings rooting
I'll work up to 10 gallon pots until sometime after May 20... then they go into the big boy pots!!
I'm 45 N. Oregon

'Boogieman'

If your going to start them early indoors make sure you don't put them outdoors to early, you don't want to deal with reveg. Also mimic the light schedule to the day the go outside (so if you put them outside June 1st and you get 15 hours light that day, use 15 hours light inside until they go out.

I would start them indoors early April and put them outside late may/June 1st. I

therevverend

Veteran
Depends on clones or seedlings. Clones, like Boogieman says, keep 'em indoors until late may to early June.
Seedlings you can start from now until July. I like mid March because it's warmed up a little. Catching the season just right is important. Most areas need either a greenhouse or to be pulled in at night until April. 45 degrees and above I'd wait until late April to May, possible mid to late May, to put your seedlings out unprotected.
One benefit in California from starting seedlings now outdoors. They'll show preflowers, almost go into flowering. You can sex your seedlings early that way. They'll go just enough into flowering in late April to mid May to remove males but stay vegetative. Females take longer to go into flowering then males so if you're far enough south it works great. Too far north of course they'll go too far.

Last edited:

petert

One more thing..

One more thing..

I just popped seeds.. have cuttings rooting
I'll work up to 10 gallon pots until sometime after May 20... then they go into the big boy pots!!
I'm 45 N. Oregon

Forgot to mention. I start indoors in my garage, then move to my greenhouse around mid March. I use supplemental lighting lights on at 4:00 AM and off at 8-9PM I'll also throw a heater in the greenhouse at night. It's a 30X48 gothic.

Koondense

Veteran
I would start them in early march and keep them indoors under 16/8 light schedule until mid-end may.
Depends on your latitude and day length at transplant.

R

Robrites

Start 'em in March and scatter them in the clear-cuts on Mothers Day. It is a national holiday for a reason...

Dankwolf

Yup

Yup

Koondense , Robrites and airbud!

This is my plan :

Will be starting strains inside (march) and veging for 1 to 2 months and put out side in 30 gallon containers in a glass green house for the first month out side. then transpanted to 300 to 500 gallon potters for each plant in a open area (should be april -may by this point ). Then by september i will build another green house around plants to allow a full season finish .

The strians i like to grow wont finish till middel to end of October .

Koondense

Veteran
Pay extra attention to your day length at transplant, don't stress them too early to avoid unwanted early flowering. Additional lights maybe..?
If you're legal, should be a piece of cake to get some monsters.

Good luck

theJointedOne

Veteran
If you can do it all in a gh you should.

I'd ditch starting them inside. Just build a simple gh hoop if you don't have a gh already.

Plants started in a gh under natural light will do far better than seed started indoors and then weaned outside.