What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sessions as Attorney General could be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

igrowone

Veteran
I seen an interview of Trump and he was asked about the legalization of Cannabis and he replied that he thought that should be left up to the states themselves

he did, then has backtracked on that some
it's still a mystery what he's going to do
so worst case could be an attempted shut down of recreational
the california/massachusetts markets will much greater than the previous markets
so it would have to be shut down as the first(or close to first) act of his presidency
it doesn't seem like the most plausible choice, but plausible and trump don't talk much

SpaceJunkOG

all the news articles out there certainly don't help the fear aspect. just google "jeff sessions pot stance" and you get these headlines....

"Will the Trump Administration Go to War Against Legal Weed?" -NYMag
"Could America's next top cop send marijuana legalization up in smoke?" -CNN
"Marijuana Industry Has The Jitters Over Jeff Sessions' Nomination" -Forbes
"'Drug War Dinosaur' Jeff Sessions Seen as Existential Threat to Pot..." -USNews
"Jeff Sessions Could Reverse Years Of Progress On Marijuana Policy" -HuffPost

then again, the news headlines are all a bit freaky right now so maybe best just not to look for a while. and of course headlines are just headlines..... meant to grab attention.

R

Rubber Chicken

Will he still be sneaking into the Miss Universe change rooms as President Trump?

vta

Veteran
This is not the forum for you to tell us what is important to you if it is not cannabis related, please stay on point so they don''t shut this thread down...

:tiphat: Yes Sir ! Although my post was about MJ....as a nation...our AG has MUCH more important issues to deal with.

BTW...cannabis legalization is political..

Green Squall

I think Trump knows that if he starts fucking with States right it will drastically effect his chances for reelection....hopefully. In the 90's he was actually an advocate for legalization of all drugs. Called the War on Drugs a failure. I have a feeling he's going to instruct Session's not to meddle in the states affairs.

EsterEssence

Veteran
The whole fed hands off policy in place now is a memo written by an assistant ag named Cole, who clarified the feds stance on the matter so Co could implement their rec laws. One piece of paper written by an ASSISTANT AG, it does not need to get higher up than that...

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trump is a pragmatist not a moralist. I know the bible belt people voted for him but still. White pride or whatever voted for him and yet Trump is no nazi. Sorry to burst your bubble. Bunch of Jews in his family tree now check for yourself.

Sessions is not president. Sessions might not be so anti pot now that he would try anything if he even could. Not approving of something and actively going after it are different. Crisp Crispy would not worry me as AG as his boss is Trump. Crisp is out of the running for just about anything if you were out of the loop.

topheavy420

Session's today on enforcing fed MJ law-

Leahy: "If you are confirmed...would you use our federal resources to investigate sick people who are using marijuana in accordance with their state laws" even though it may conflict with federal law?

Sessions: "I won't commit to absolutely never enforcing federal law." But Sessions did agree there was a problem of resources.

"Using good judgement about how to handle these case will be a responsibility of mine...I will try to do so in a fair and just way," Sessions said.

Just as I thought, the resources aren't there given all the other big problems this country faces. Now will session's go after a cartel operation or a big "legal" op that ships it's goods to non legal states? I think he will and trump will approve of those particular actions. But the feds arresting every legal grower, smoker and patient is just ridiculous.

Fundamentally it's a state issue until it reaches critical mass and then it's on Congress to change the rules on the federal level. That's where people should really be looking, do their congressmen and representatives favor federal rule changes? You should find out because this could come up under trump or maybe the next prez in 8 years.

igrowone

Veteran
this was the moment i was waiting for
and kind of what i was expecting, no firm commitment but no sign of a DEA apocalypse

EDIT: here's what i see from cnn, which doesn't sound so good

Lee asked Sessions if the Obama Administration’s approach “contravene the understanding that we (the Congress) are the lawmaking body.”
Sessions responded that Congress had made pot illegal and that if criminalization of marijuana is “not desired any longer, Congress should pass a law to change the rule.”
He added, “It’s not so much the attorney general’s job to decide what laws to enforce. We should do our job and enforce laws as effectively as we’re able.”

topheavy420

^^^

I got mine from Fox so the MSM is spinning away. CNN is very anti trump and Fox is more pro trump. I would watch the hearing but it's too long and boring filled with lawyerly glib. Gonna have to read between the lines before things become more clear.

One thing is clear... Trump stated his stance... if he flip flops it will be suicide

EDIT- the way that question is worded is like a trick question. He's basically asking who makes the laws and who enforces them. Well congress makes the laws and the DOJ enforces them just like he answered. Lawyerly glib! Trying to out do each other with jedi mind tricks and depending on who reports and spins it, it ends up as two different stories...

D

Dioni

Personally I believe they have bigger battles to fight and political fallout is not something they are going to chance...this guy is a worker and will work to shore up the 2020 election with everything he does to continue to strengthen the country for all.

D

Dioni

There were a few protesters dressed as the KKK lol.

It's a complete disgrace to have any protestors there able to interrupt a Senate confirmation hearing.

There is a time and place to hold a peaceful protest but when partisan political hacks allows it to take place against one party when the the other party chooses not too, it's laughable at best!

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ha..Yup...
And the fact that DT would face "political suicide" for going against the grain!!!! Hahahahaha
He has already proven he is happy to face political suicide..Many times over..
Sessions can't possibly be good for canna...Don't care how you doin it...If the best we can hope for is him being too distracted to focus on canna-well-thats not good
But keep spinning

igrowone

Veteran
ever notice how pot makes people project about the future incessantly?

some of us do like to read the cannabis leaves, so to speak
mostly we're watching a scripted process - sigh, it is what it is
but if by some small chance someone here comes up with idea, insight, slogan, etc that would make this prick's enforcement job a little harder
i'm down with that just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.