What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bayer Monsanto Merger Will Steal The Marijuana Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cur

how do you feel about the slave trade and boycotting people who profited?

The slave trade... are we talking 2000-1000 B.C.E. Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Ancient Persia, Ancient India, Ancient China, all of Ancient Europe, 1600's Portugal, 1700's British Empire, 1700's-1860's America, or modern-day sex trafficking? Or was this rhetorical?

The obvious answer is absolutely. Boycott the hell out of the modern-day slave trade. I'd posit it would be difficult to boycott everyone who has profited from the slave trade without going completely off-grid... about as difficult as it would be to boycott every company or country that helped Hitler without completely cutting ties with Europe, Northern Africa, all former states of the USSR, Japan, and a hefty number of private companies from every continent outside of Australia and Antartica.

I'd like to re-iterate... both the slave trade and the holocaust are terrible, terrible things. Neither of those has to do with legal marijuana or Genetically Modified Organisms. That's kind of the whole point, and I hope the thread doesn't get derailed by me pointing out the logical fallacies inherent in those sorts of straw-man arguments.

EDITED TO ADD: I got your rating, I understand that it was a rhetorical question. I appreciate the karma, man. I'm leaving this here to support the ideas I've posted.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guys... It saddens me to see this sort of mis-informed and un-informed talk here. Counter-propoganda propaganda is STILL propaganda. The truth is damning enough.

Cannabis was first made illegal in order to make marijuana (the dried flower) illegal so that it would discourage immigration from Mexico and because it was thought to give an edge to black workers in the early 20th century. Hell, it wasn't even actually made illegal, it was made illegal to own without a tax stamp. The problem was, someone had to have marijuana in order to apply for the tax stamp. Bingo, violation of the law and you're in jail. That was overturned because it violated the fifth amendment protection against self-incrimination.

It wasn't until the 60's when it was actually made illegal, being placed on the controlled substances act. That was so the government could crack down on anti-war protestors and agitators who otherwise were not technically doing anything illegal.

Like I said, the truth is more damning that "big corporations." It's state-sanctioned racism and anti-counterculture.

About GMO's... to say it's best for weed to remain illegal so that Monsato doesn't swoop in is ridiculous. You can still grow your own marijuana in all the states that have legal recreational marijuana laws with the notable exception of Washington state. In addition, Monsato can't keep you from being a regional player. They can pressure, cajole, etc. but they can only go so far. To say they purposefully place their GMO crops next to other crops in order to cross-pollinate is a fallacy that comes from a case in Canada whereby a farmer was saving seed from his own fully heirloom variety which--over the course of 10+ years--was unintentionally pollinated by another farmer's crops (not a corporate conspiracy of purposeful placement) and when Monsato heard of it yes, they sued and they won, but they received a grand total of $0 dollars in damages. That case also led to a HUGE kickback and banning of all GMO wheat to a multitude of countries, and class action lawsuits against Monsato because the fact of the matter is, on open-polinated crops it is impossible to guarantee they won't cross. To claim this was good for them is just plain false, when--again--the truth is bad enough.

To be honest--and I apologize if I am off base--it sounds more like you'd prefer marijuana to remain illegal so that you and people like you can continue to make money, which is just as bad as Monsato saying they want it to become legal so that they and companies like them can make money. Why are we discussing money-making opportunities when people's very lives hang in the balance?

GMO crops aren't necessarily bad or evil. They're not great, and they are very very corporate, but GMO crops have not once been linked to any adverse health issues. It's not just GMO crops that can be bad for someone, either. It's big farm culture, mono-cropping, and lack of sustainable farming practices. I'd strongly suggest anyone interested in GMO-Monsato and how that affects agriculture (not just Cannabis Ag, but all Agriculture) read the books "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and "Omnivore's Dilemma".

As far as Bayer being evil because they created chemical weapons, marketed heroine, and helped Hitler... it's a german company. They created chemical weapons in WWI. They marketed Heroine--which was used as the only real pain killer post-WWI--to help injured veterans. And yes, they helped Hitler. So did Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Henry Ford, Mr. Carnagie, Switzerland, France, parts of the Netherlands, most of Scandinavia... my point is this: the holocaust was terrible. I've visited Dachau and Auschwitz. I've toured the Anne Franke house. I've lived in Germany for 3 years of my 29 years on this Earth. But if we shut down every company, country, or companies ran by people who helped Hitler in some way, the world would be a much, much different place. To boycott Bayer in 2016 because of Bayer in the 1930's is as ridiculous as taking the stance of cutting off diplomatic ties with most of Europe for the same reason. It's a straw-man argument than has absolutely NOTHING to do with legal cannabis.

Everything except what has been bolded is true.
Hitler said it best...
Tell a lie... Tell a big lie but add a bit of truth to make it believable.

What's bolded is your big lie!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how do you feel about the slave trade and boycotting people who profited?

Taxes make slaves of us all.
Individual income taxes are supposed to be voluntary while corporate taxes are completely legit.
Corporations lobied for the 14th amendment so that they would be recognized as legal "people" & shortly thereafter the 16th Amendment was passed.
The 13th Amendment bans involuntary servitude except in the case of punishment for crimes. Being taxed outside the bounds of legaly represented taxation puts every tax paying American in the category of involuntary servitude.

WE ARE ALL SLAVES TO THE STATE!
Politicians don't have any interest in cannabis other than $$$$ extracted from their constituents/slaves.

Cur

Everything except what has been bolded is true.
Hitler said it best...
Tell a lie... Tell a big lie but add a bit of truth to make it believable.

What's bolded is your big lie!

Ok, can you tell me where I can find the information debunking that, or post a link? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Lying is a purposeful act, I am not trying to purposefully mislead anyone here... I am anti-GMO, mostly due to the loss of variety that comes with patented genetic modifications and the negative effects on ecosystems but I've never once seen a study that links GMO's to health issues. I would truly ask to be better informed f I am incorrect. I would also ask that, at least in or future discourse, folks would refrain from ad hominem attacks like "you're lying".

EFITED TO ADD: I'll be honest, I'm a little ruffled that you brought up Hitler while accusing me of lying... Basically equating the two of us... Without supporting your claims in any way. That's the exact opposite of open and thoughtful conversation, and does nothing to unify "our" movement, the fractured nature of which is the primary reason we haven't been able to overcome special interests in the first place.

Taxes make slaves of us all.
Individual income taxes are supposed to be voluntary while corporate taxes are completely legit.
Corporations lobied for the 14th amendment so that they would be recognized as legal "people" & shortly thereafter the 16th Amendment was passed.
The 13th Amendment bans involuntary servitude except in the case of punishment for crimes. Being taxed outside the bounds of legaly represented taxation puts every tax paying American in the category of involuntary servitude.

WE ARE ALL SLAVES TO THE STATE!
Politicians don't have any interest in cannabis other than $$$$ extracted from their constituents/slaves.

A couple of points... Income tax was ratified by the states, per our constitution, after WWI. That makes it a taxation based upon lawful representation so the argument that the population is being taxed "outside of the bounds of legally represented taxation" simply is not true.

Also, corporations did not lobby to be considered persons. There is case law, gained through court cases, whereby the protections of persons found in the constitution have been applied to businesses, this setting a legal precedent for that interpretation. That is a far cry from lobbying the government. But it is also the reason a person can sue a business and not just the cashier/manager/night-shift worker who wronged them in some way. You cannot sue entities, only people. He same thing applies to government agencies. Thirdly, of course politicians don't care about marijuana outside of $$$. That's pretty par for the course for al people, not just politicians. I'd like to point out that j do not believe that is just or right, but it is human nature. It is OUR job to ensure we elect people who align most closely with what we believe, and if that means we elect someone who happens to care about marijuana outside of $$$ then that is the only way things will change. However, starts with an honest assessment of where we are and an platform of arguments founded in truth instead of conspiracy theories and grand opus claims that fall apart under any sort of scrutiny.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Cur, if there IS any actual proof that GMO foods are physically harmful, i have been unable to find it. i found found buttloads of allegations & theories, but nothing else. i am anti GMO for the same reasons you mentioned, loss of varieties mainly in my case.but some of those genetically engineered crops are feeding people that would have died of starvation by now if they had not been developed. that is, as they say, a very inconvenient fact for some folks to deal with...

oldchuck

Veteran
I dont understand pesticides relation to gmo?

Theres tons of gmo that does zero harm. Tons of corn grow in europe is gmo now. They are foing fine.

Anyway if you have to attack gmo attack gmo dont go on to smokescreen with stuff about pesticides. They arent related. Gmo stands for genetically moddified nothing to do with herbicide or pesticides in there.

You are very wrong. GMO products on the market today are all about herbicides and pesticides. Nearly all GMO products grown today have no other purpose than to allow massive applications of herbicides and pesticides to soil that will not kll the corn, soy, and canola. Others will be added I suppose but those are the big ones and the soil applications of Round up are poisoning, sterilizing the soil. Most of our agricultural land today is actually a desert that will only allow certain crops to grow.

This is the major crime of GMO. It is not the fact that we can modify genes but the reality of why Monsanto and other agricorps are doing it. We have vastly accelerated the destruction of millions of acres of once very fertile ground. Big Ag was headed in that direction before GMOs were invented.

Health concerns? Certainly but I don't think it is due to the simple creation of a GMO plant or animal. It is how they are intended to be used.

I don't think GMO Cannabis is of much concern. The genetics of the species is too diverse to every be roped into a single line GMO product. At the moment I see no big Ag incentive to do so except perhaps for some very specialized medical products. But we'll see about that.

Cur

You are very wrong. GMO products on the market today are all about herbicides and pesticides. Nearly all GMO products grown today have no other purpose than to allow massive applications of herbicides and pesticides to soil that will not kll the corn, soy, and canola. Others will be added I suppose but those are the big ones and the soil applications of Round up are poisoning, sterilizing the soil. Most of our agricultural land today is actually a desert that will only allow certain crops to grow.

This is the major crime of GMO. It is not the fact that we can modify genes but the reality of why Monsanto and other agricorps are doing it. We have vastly accelerated the destruction of millions of acres of once very fertile ground. Big Ag was headed in that direction before GMOs were invented.

Health concerns? Certainly but I don't think it is due to the simple creation of a GMO plant or animal. It is how they are intended to be used.

I don't think GMO Cannabis is of much concern. The genetics of the species is too diverse to every be roped into a single line GMO product. At the moment I see no big Ag incentive to do so except perhaps for some very specialized medical products. But we'll see about that.

I would agree with this. Th largest GMO crop modification by Monsanto is to allow the crops to withstand the effects of roundup (also owned by Monsanto) so that the entire crop can be sprayed with roundup, killing the weeds but leaving the crops unharmed. Same thing with certain types of pesticides. That's why I am anti-GMO. They allow monopolies to proliferate while also making it "ok" to poison the soil, animals, and crops themselves... Which ultimately become food. It's not the genes, it's the handling of the plants inside of which those genes are located.

But back to the main thrust of this thread... How is it that Monsayo is trying to take over the legal marijuana industry and is that even possible? At this point, I would say "no", but we should remain vigilant and informed.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
They are now selling gear on the Walmart website.

GH nutes, lightning, tents the whole bit.

oh yeah how much? i need a new setup. soon.

i see. they've been doing that for years. online only...it's like a section of the website is like amazon/ebay. walmart doesn't actually sell it.
still more expensive than amazon and ebay too.

SHAMROCKROVER

While it is disturbing how these companies operate and they defo are intent on monopolizing the medical Cannabis market ,they will never have any interest in growing the best pot and there will always be a huge market for the best pot.Now more than ever it would seem important for every single grower to protect and preserve the best genetics ,Ive joined the icmag community to learn how to make and keep my own seeds ,pollen and organic feeds so that I can show others,thats the way we beat this in my opinion.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
While it is disturbing how these companies operate and they defo are intent on monopolizing the medical Cannabis market ,they will never have any interest in growing the best pot and there will always be a huge market for the best pot.Now more than ever it would seem important for every single grower to protect and preserve the best genetics ,Ive joined the icmag community to learn how to make and keep my own seeds ,pollen and organic feeds so that I can show others,thats the way we beat this in my opinion.

Welcome to ICMag.
You came to the right place to get started learning all those skills.

Slipnot

Again i think we would not have to worry to much about Monsanto and Marijuana i would me more concerned about companies like Bayer you know Big Pharma that will use it like so many claim Medicine :)

Monstanto will be going where the big dollars are HEMP industry and working them lines you know the Big dollar housing markets you wood now replaced by Hemp what about Clothes ?

Surely its not marijuana that makes close but Hemp good market in there
what about oils ??? and alcohols ?? again sure you can make nice THC oil from a marijuana plant but oil from Hemp its a good source of protiens and Vitamins

So when you break it down, What would you really want control of ??? if your a big seed company a marijuana plant ??? or Hemp ??

There is no doubt if you want to grow corn ?? Monsanto has everyone beat with there 2 punch round up and corn seed by a mile
They may not control the universe but they are powerful
i mean you cannot build a house with out corn , or a car yup you need corn sparkplugs made out of corn .

Tires You know it made out of corn

People have tunnel vision, there fore do not see the big picture
Trust me Monsanto could give 2 fucks about marijuana plants but do give to fucks about Hemp seeds
where like corn is used in homebuilding to paper you write your nutrient schedule on :)

Think bigger folks

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
People have tunnel vision, there fore do not see the big picture
Trust me Monsanto could give 2 fucks about marijuana plants but do give to fucks about Hemp seeds

Think bigger folks

You are a lackey for Monsanto and quite possibly the fucking cops. The only thing Monsanto will do with hemp is make it Round-Up resistant. If hemp was such a big deal why are they buying up companies traditionally used for indoor marijuana growing?

For those of you that don't support Monsanto and their ilk then y'all have every right to be concerned. Uruguay was their lab. It is quite obvious they have had success in producing GMO marijuana. I posted the patent in the thread where someone was wanting seeds dead or alive to funnel to Phylos. The patent wasn't for a GMO marijuana plant. The patent was for a handheld device that could test to make sure you had state approved marijuana. I am sure the patent for their GMO weed will come later.

The hard drive I had the patent link on is gone. I am not going to go look it up again. It is in the Phylos thread, unless, it was deleted. Think glow in the dark weed. You will even be able to grow your own weed at home. As long as it is state approved clones you bought. Everyone will be growing the same weed. Just like when weed was illegal for everyone. It will again be illegal to have non-approved state sanctioned weed. I suggest joining the pollen chucker club and make as much seed as you can. When the farmers start growing acres and acres of this stuff it would be nice to seed bomb the hell out of their GMO marijuana.

I believe it is only a matter of time before the states that legalized rec weed will start seeing this stuff. Maybe less than ten years. If you are underground and haven't got on some med list stay that way. Do not get on a list of any kind that involves weed. Including being arrested for weed. This will be global. That old rule of tell no one still applies today.

wasgedn

monsanto want to wipe out genetic diversity and they want that their seeds are the only ones which peeps are allowed to grow.(watch south-americas small corn-farmers).

you got fems which got pollienated from monsantos field next door...so...you have to pay...thats what you have to fear among so many other...

Mr.FeelingIt

Just an honest question for you all.

If there was a side of this company, to where they actually saw a positive influence with this plant in the means of keeping it true to the diversity of genetics with the safest/natural organic breading etc... in order to provide a safe (use this term loosely since we still dont even have much regulated form of pesticide use etc.) cheap form of the medicine, would you be against this?

If you are worried about going to a store and buying monsanto-gmo-seeds/products, why not just grow your own (of course hopefully from a non-modified seed genetic at this point)?

What I hope doesnt happen is them in any way taking away our rights to grow. BRING OUT THE PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES

Status
Not open for further replies.