What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenhouse Risk

royaltyofrezin

In the future, when I own my own property, I hope to cultivate MJ just for me and some friends/family. I know I will cultivate and I would either do this in a greenhouse or indoors. I would be very happy to do this in a greenhouse. That's the best option, because.. well.. its cheaper and can't burn your house down.

-What risk, if any do you run of being searched, simply on the basis of having a greenhouse????

I know for a fact that if someone in my neighborhood had a greenhouse, he is either really obsessed with growing his own veggies, a botanist, or growing marijuana.. and I do believe the latter is the biggest percentage, as horticulture/botany are not the most popular of sciences. Either way, me being a pot-smoker would make me do things to try and find out and be unwantedly nozy.. Now from that standpoint.

-What kind of risk does one run when the greenhouse is in a suburban neighborhood? (I suppose a big one)

-Is the risk high in rural areas?? where population density may be around 30+/sqm?? more??

I know there is a risk in suburbia as well as urban areas. it is obvious, but I wonder how much of a risk this is.

-If you were to live in the boonies, like ... somewhere arizona/colorado (low pop densities), and own at least 10 acres, would a greenhouse on your property cause popo copters to look at you funny??

Reason I ask is that I will run a tight ship.. no friends, no family, etc @ the GH, period. No smoking there, no nothing there. I will make sure all my neighbors think I am an upstanding citizen (as if I am not). I know also that cops are notorious for doing shady shit... I have heard of cops dishonestly using their own suspicion and a fake confession/statement signed by a willing party. They get these statements and submit for search warrants, yada, yada, I get fucked. I dont want to get into a situation where a popocopter sees the GH, and wants to investigate further through such a means.

I am new to greenhouses and law.. so any assumptions/errors, please correct me.

-ROR

CC Rider

i kinda feel like this really depends are where you are, i have seen suburban areas with plenty of people with gardens and greenhouses, but i have also seen some where one one stick out like a sore pinkytoe........i personally have a greenhouse, but i dont only grow cannabis, i am also into growing watermellons and stuff.....and i kinda hide my ganja behind everything.....but sorry for the stoned rant im not realy sure if i helped you at all......but i hope i did.
peace :wave:

G

Its all part of what we do here in the states, Reward vs Risk.

If its in a rural area, I wouldn't worry about it at all, and even in a somewhat urban area, just keep to yourself about it and try to relax.

The one thing you are risking... Monster Yields :Joint:

NPK

and I do believe the latter is the biggest percentage, as horticulture/botany are not the most popular of sciences.

royaltyofrezin, I'm gonna stick my neck out and disagree with you on this one. Gardening is one of the most-pursued hobbies/avocations in the United States: many people are downright fanatical about it. I seriously doubt that having a greenhouse on your property would cause anyone to look twice at you, unless there are other things about you or your property that might raise suspicion. I have a neighbor with multiple growing structures on his property--he and his wife are landscape architects and are also professional growers of orchids.

gobbler3447

Tomato growing in greenhouses

Tomato growing in greenhouses

I have listened to folks who grow tomatoes in green houses, they talk of inspectors from " the Agricultural depts of state gov." These inspectors, allegdy for insect, fungus and fertlizer, chemicals to control these,and feed the plants, are up and down the rows of plants paying attention to any "other" plants that may be growing with the tomatoes.. these "inspections" may occur at various times, from earliest plantings till maturity and production... One long haired "friend" told me of one ho came to inspect and stayed for 3 days looking into his operation of 3 very large green houses...down the road a ways his bro had a small green house, with a nice garden of veggies growing next to the green house and no one ever checked him out and he's still growing after 5 years.... ya just gotta keep your growing to yourself, show pics here, talk to others on here just dont let anyone, NO ONE, know your growing weed on your place.. Keep in mind your " circle of friends" it should be so small that your arms should encircle the ones who are in the know.

LORD BENIS

All I know is that I would NEVER let some random buerocrat come and inspect my private property w/o some kind of warrant.

G

Wow.. i wonder how you go about finding out, about these agricultural inspectors.... sounds weird to me, i never really heard of that before.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
-KiNgMaKeR- said:
Wow.. i wonder how you go about finding out, about these agricultural inspectors.... sounds weird to me, i never really heard of that before.

Diddo, let me know if you find out.

G

He must be talkin about a commercial greenhouse operation. i looked up some simple google searches, i didn't find anything.

Last edited:
G

i know in the norml bust statistics, they tell how many greenhouses were busted in your state in a separate category from both indoor grow rooms and outdoor plots. So greenhouses are busted. I also wonder though how they get busted, and if its just from carelessness

Dr. Funky

i dont know how usefull this is for people, but in both MO and OK the department of agriculture allows commercial greenhouses to grow vegatables without any sort of lisence. but if you decide you want to grow shrubs, trees, flowers, etc, then they require a special lisence and require yearly inspections.

theganjaplanter

As long as you obey the laws of the land "CA= 6mature or 12 immature" you should be fine. just keep a copy of your script posted at all times. my chief concern are "kids" who might come and rip your plants if they find out. i would spend most of the night out there near harvest. i have a green house, i use a large pine to shade it from the air. and i use a light to keep the girls nice and large.

heres another idea that i have yet to try. build a shed and put solar panels on top to power the lights, "no electricity bill and no one can see in" just an idea...

hope all goes well for you http://www.icmag.com/ic/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1119488#
Headbanger

20kw dreams

Different states and counties have different regulations regarding greenhouses, and you should check into these laws before building anything. There are limits on square footage, electrical, plumbing, etc, or you need a permit to do one thing but maybe not for another. I know where I'm at you can build anything that isn't over 12' tall, and has no water or electrical without obtaining a permit. Whether you need a permit or not though, it doesn't mean someone may not call the inspector out because they're nosy bitches or feel your greenhouse is an eyesore or whatever. Best bet is to build it, then call an inspector out to "check" it out for you. They may charge you a small fee, but then it will be on record as being inspected.

If you treat your greenhouse like an indoor grow, and make sure you always have negative pressure going through a carbon filter or ozone gen then you'll be fine as far as smell. Use materials that are not clear, to avoid visual identification from above.

I think it totally depends on where you are at. If you are in an area w/ alot of greenhouses, noone is going to flinch, if you are in cookie-cutter suburbia, then you might get some nosy neighbors trying to protect their property values but peeking over the fence, even sneeking into your yard to see for themselves(there was a bust here where the neighbors broke into someones house, then called the cops because they found a grow. The neighbors didn't get busted for breaking and entering though!)

As somebody else mentioned though, gardening is a HUGE hobby/industry and I think the biggest problem you might have, is a friendly neighbor that wasts to look at your beautiful new greenhouse. Friendly people have always been the most dangerous in my experience.

spenceje

Where I live you can't drive hardly anywhere(rurally ofcourse) without seeing someone with atleast a small greenhouse.... which I'd bet are rarely mj related. I know I wouldn't even try unless I lived in a rural area. Even then I think the wisest thing would be to just grow plants of the legal nature for the first season, get it inspected... ect. ya know clear the air before you get down to business, so to speak...

Mt Toaker

I can't wait until I own my own home and can put in a green house, I've been looking forward to this for years(even before I started growing cannabis). Still have another year and a half till I'm out of school though. . . . :(