What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shade cloth recommended % for Young Plants

G

I am wanting to setup a greenhouse shade cloth roof on my greenhouse to dull down the sun burn when I move the plants into it early on. I'm going to use 4 400w's to light it up to extend the sunlight in may. Basically I have 4 choices it looks like:

47%
55%
63%
73%

I've got a poly film cover on the greenhouse and its a gothic arch pole frame greenhouse. I'm also trying to figure out the heater calculations for the winter. I'm going to do some tests in the winter and see what the deal is just for my own curiosity.

suzycremecheese

47% will probably prevent sunburn but you might be able to use the 73% at a later date to induce flowering slightly early. Just a thought not based on experience.

supermanlives

Veteran
go with the 47. i once posted heater calculations for greenhouses i will try and find formula again. i am starting over myself .greenhouses in s cali are a whole new game for me compared to east coast.farmtek.com or clearspan.com has great gh stuff

Last edited:

Tom Hill

Veteran
Meaning,

What do you have 4mil poly? That might let through 70% as is..
Times that by .53 & it only leaves you with 37.1% light penetration.
That's scary low levels man. You've mentioned "winter" & "early on" so i assume you're not in the tropics & early on refers to spring. It would be unheard-of for youngins to fry being set out this time of year, & particularly in a greenhouse.

Last edited:
G

Just never found i need it, i germ my plants under natural light in tunnels at 30 degrees. Does not appear to harm any even with the strongest sun here.

Nice to see you around Chodo..

Tom, Suzy..good evening.

Peace, hhf

Tom Hill

Veteran
Good Night Nurse,

Thats nice.

Come on man get that thing covered & rockin, lets go, chop chop. :D

thc43

Veteran
i live in oz some of the harshes rays in the word. if the soil is wet you wont need any cloth if your worried about heat burning or reflecting back onto seedlings bring them inside under a flouro till there a week onld then let them go crazy in the 100% sunlight. Or use some shade cloth only for the first week or two.

summer has just finnished here but still have the odd hot 30c day without clouds. Has been no problem for these clones.

N

Neptune

I would only cover that greenhouse in such a manner than you can roll it on or off quickly.

the only reason to have it rolled on would be very cold days, or choppers.
and we worry less and less about choppers anymore.

cdc

i think shade cloth is a good idea if the plants are young ...but when they get bigger let em have it ..full ball :p