What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with troubleshooting on coco grow

ChuckBanger

I'm new here and a noob grower. My set up is a 40"X40" grow tent with a MarsHydro TSW2000 led and a autopot watering system. The problem i have look like this:
POk14D0

HGVrHJy

AM3o4Tc

The leaves get yellow spots and edges and they curl down.
It is the first week in bloom (12/12) and I grow in coco coir with 30% perlite. The nutrient i use is biobizz grow at the moment with 1/4 of recommended dosage. In veg I did not use any nutrient at all. Only PH regulated water. I always aim for PH 5,8.

bigpeter

I'm surprised your plants are even alive if you never fed them in veg, do you have an ec meter? It sounds like they need more feed. Also as your growing in coco coir you'll need to give them a dose of calmag. Can you post pictures?

potty1

You do know coco has no nutrients in it?
As bigpeter said I'm surprised you've got to this stage...
We need to see pics

ChuckBanger

You do know coco has no nutrients in it?
As bigpeter said I'm surprised you've got to this stage...
We need to see pics
The coco i use says it has nutrients in it. Oh you don't see my pics? Maybe it is because I put them in private mode in the album. Changed to public now. Hope it works

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
it is not pure coco it looks like some kind of premade stuff like light mix, promix or other coco perlite peatmoss mixtures.
lightmix has enough nutrients for 10 days, no more in it for balanced growing rates
you have to learn which are immobile or mobile nutrients, and the signs of deficiencies of them.

there are few nice charts for diagnose.

ChuckBanger

I emptied the whole system and cleaned it completely. And put in new PH 5.8 water with m ore nutrient (EC 1,4 in the reservoir and 1,6 in the runoff). And today it is way worse then yesterday.

I really don't know what to do here

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
At this point considering your space,to not be a waste of time,you may want to consider a scrog,as the new growth can be turned around by the looks of it.
Screen,feed,weave,and feed some more.Trim off all the nasty debris.A couple of weeks set back with some veg time,and healthy plants is better than two months to end up dissatisfied with your results.
Just my 2 cents,hope ya get em turned around.

bigpeter

I edited this because I've just re read your first post and saw you're using an autopot. I have no experience with autopots so cant help, my bad sorry.

Last edited:

ChuckBanger

At this point considering your space,to not be a waste of time,you may want to consider a scrog,as the new growth can be turned around by the looks of it.
Screen,feed,weave,and feed some more.Trim off all the nasty debris.A couple of weeks set back with some veg time,and healthy plants is better than two months to end up dissatisfied with your results.
Just my 2 cents,hope ya get em turned around.
Oki thanks, will do that...

run off pH?
Run off pH is 5,9 at the moment. My goal is set it as close to 5,8 as i can

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
biobizz grow is a vegging nute for compost iirc ?

you aren't going to flower well with that in coco. if you can get a proper coco vegging and/or flowering nute and give it at least 1ec.

you may need to turn the light down (or move it away a few feet) especially with such low nutes, you will need a strong healthy plant ideally before they go under a powerful led like that or they'll burn to a crisp.

veg them back to health before you go into flower, or your yield will be terrible.

ChuckBanger

Ive had a look at a few instructional videos on autopots to try and understand runoff. As far as I can see there there is no runoff. There is a small valve in the tray that keeps a small pool of water in the tray that feeds the plant, no runoff.

https://www.growell.co.uk/advice/hints-tips/12-hot-tips-for-autopot-systems
I understand what you say. But if I measure in the reservoir right now I have pH 5,1. And when I lift the plant and measure in the tray I get pH 5,8. Maybe Im wrong but I thought that was the same as run off when I have such a big difference.

biobizz grow is a vegging nute for compost iirc ?

you aren't going to flower well with that in coco. if you can get a proper coco vegging and/or flowering nute and give it at least 1ec.

you may need to turn the light down (or move it away a few feet) especially with such low nutes, you will need a strong healthy plant ideally before they go under a powerful led like that or they'll burn to a crisp.

veg them back to health before you go into flower, or your yield will be terrible.
I have dim the led down to 75%, up the nutes to EC 1,9 and put them in 18/6 light again. I have also trimmed off all yellow leaves. They have not produced any new yellow leaves. But there still is a few leaves with yellow edges...

Is GHE nutes something i can switch to then?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
how well did you flush the coco before you started?

it could be that it is just an imaballance due to the badly flushed brand of coco.

in that case flushing the medium to hell and back, followed by a low level feed say at 1.4 ec. save that tank of ec 1,6, dilute a bit to 1,4 and you can use it after the big flush. flush that coco till the return ec is at least at 0.8 better yet flush the coco till the run off says 0.5

no ferts just ph corrected water at ph 6 for the flush. wight after the flush give each plant a small splash of the nutrient solution and continue normally. as soon as they perk up you can up the ec to 1,5 or 1,6

bigpeter

I understand what you say. But if I measure in the reservoir right now I have pH 5,1. And when I lift the plant and measure in the tray I get pH 5,8. Maybe Im wrong but I thought that was the same as run off when I have such a big difference.

When a plant is watered from the top and water drains out the bottom, that is run off.
In your situation the ph going in the pipe and coming out the pipe should be the same. Are you pouring water into the top of the pot? Because if you are that's probably your problem. That plant looks quite young ang probably wont have a decent root system yet and may have been overwatered. Overwatering is no1 newbe mistake.