What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which ACE strains similar to old school strains (Colombian Gold, Oaxacan Highland)

Zomboy

Veteran
Not to hijack the thread but any ideas on which current Ace strain would have the best representation of a strong Thai?

musigny23

Not to hijack the thread but any ideas on which current Ace strain would have the best representation of a strong Thai?

Double Thai isn't current. They haven't offered it for at least 4 years but there may be some available somewhere.

Thai Chi is current but it is a hybrid with an "indica".

Currently I would recommend to go for the regular Golden Tiger (not the feminized). I grew it this past season and it is very Thai dominant. Some phenos will be very Thai and plenty strong. The feminized version is great too, but it is more Malawi dominant.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
And the only wholesalers still having them don’t send outside Spain. So unless you are from Spain or know someone there who can send them back to you, it’s not possible to get that Double Thai anymore :(

So yeah, what musigny said...

farm3r

Well to really get where you're trying to go, you would need to also recreate the drying and curing practices too.

That would include such techniques such as allowing a little seeding, drying in the sun, pressing into something bricklike when still a bit wet, storing for a few months like that. Techniques like along those lines. I never once got seed free Columbian or Mexican in the 70s. I also never saw anything unpressed and still bright green.

Well executed and handled, these techniques aren't automatically degrading. BUT badly done and badly handled they are. Lots of those things left the grower as quality product but were abused to various degrees getting to American college dorm rooms.

Since you would be hands on, in control and no long trips across borders are needed you should be able to recreate that product.

Cob curing is the essence of it and maybe doing that would be enough to basicallypretty much get there and maybe that would be good enough.

Yeh, I would agree with you on this. The first method of seeded flower, drying in the sun, pressing, etc...sounds tough to replicate unless someone has instruction for this.

I saw several threads about "cobbing". Have you done this yourself? If so, can you report on the final result?

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Just getting into cobbing and light fermentation techniques myself. If you want to recreate authentic strains you really have to try it. I like the variation and creativity of it as well as the long term storage and stabilization aspects of it. Highly recommended to spend a week and read the whole thread. Then dive in, you can't ruin it. I just tested some Panama that I did recently and it was sweet and potent.

Last edited:

musigny23

Yeh, I would agree with you on this. The first method of seeded flower, drying in the sun, pressing, etc...sounds tough to replicate unless someone has instruction for this.

I saw several threads about "cobbing". Have you done this yourself? If so, can you report on the final result?

The classic old world sativa imports were press cured partly because the quantities were large and it was simply a way to manage those large amounts in rustic limited conditions. A hut or cabin in a remote mountain canyon or high elevation surrounded by fields has no option but to dry outside and then press to reduce the bulk, plus to transport it it needed to be as compact as possible. It just happens that it is also a fermentation curing technique that can have positive effects.

Cob curing is essentially that, downscaled to kitchen table size. Yes it is based on a tradition from Malawi but wet hard pressing in warm temps is wet hard pressing in warm temps.

The effect (when it works as intended) concentrates and intensifies the aromas and effects, also adding complexity. Results usually vary like any process done with constantly varying ingredients and practitioners.

It's a bit like how grape juice can become wine.

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am on a quest to look for strains that are similar to the old school strains of the 70's. Of course, I can grab some of these landraces but the indoor tent growth and long flowering time might be a bit too much in testing my patience, so I look to ACE to help me out.

By similar I mean in terms of aroma, taste/flavor, and effect...incense, tropical, electric, soaring, enery, psychedelic, trippy, clear, no ceiling, etc.

Please list which of ACE's strain are similar to the strains below. Of course, ACE might not have stuff similar to some of these.

Basically, I am looking for stuff similar to old school Mexican, Central and South American stuff.

Colombian Gold - ?

Oaxacan Gold/Highland - ? (Cannabiogen Destroyer?)

Acapulco Gold - ?

Punto Rojo - ?

Panama Red - ACE's Panama
And anything that I might have missed?

OTHaze appears to be pure Colombian on Phylos.

farm3r

OTHaze appears to be pure Colombian on Phylos.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that.

Wow, just looked at it again and I totally missed the part about oldschool Colombian in the description. I must have it mixed up with Killer A5.

I'm going to head over to that thread. But has anyone here grown it? 14-20 weeks is insane. 14 weeks, I can deal with but 20 weeks? I might lose patience.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
Growing Oldtimer’s haze indoor is mainly advised for seed production or for the most sativa fanboys. It takes time and it won’t be a big yielder.

There are hybrids which will be somewhat easier indoor, such as the Purple/Green Honduras Haze or Panama Haze. The honduran hybrids still seems a bit demanding for indoor but at least you get the hybrid vigour since they are F1.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi farm3r,

Sorry, looks like i overlooked to reply this thread.
Our friends here provided great suggestions (thanks everyone :wave:).

The closest ACE Seeds strains to the old school landraces you mention are:

Colombian Gold -> Oldtimer's Haze, especially the green/yellow pheno.

Oaxacan Gold/Highland -> Oaxaca 79, but since it's not commercially available from us i would suggest Purple Satellite (Oaxaca/Nepalese) from Green Mountain Seeds as an alternative, or Red Snake from Cannabiogen.

Punto Rojo -> Panama

Acapulco Gold -> Unfortunately I haven't experienced a legit Acapulco Gold but if you are looking for sativa strains similar in effects and terpenes to the old school happy and uplifting mexican sativas then i would recommend Honduras or Tikal.

If you are looking for sativas with this kind of profile (incense, tropical, electric, soaring, energy, psychedelic, trippy, clear, no ceiling, etc.)

then i would recommend you our Haze hybrids like Haze x Kali China, Panama Haze, Green Honduras Haze, Purple Honduras Haze, or the following non Haze sativa strains: Honduras x Panama, Nepal Mist, Panama x Bangi Haze, Panama x Malawi, Panama x Tikal, Thai Chi, Thai x Panama, Zamal Bliss and Zamaldelica.

Hope it helps. Best regards, dubi

I am on a quest to look for strains that are similar to the old school strains of the 70's. Of course, I can grab some of these landraces but the indoor tent growth and long flowering time might be a bit too much in testing my patience, so I look to ACE to help me out.

By similar I mean in terms of aroma, taste/flavor, and effect...incense, tropical, electric, soaring, enery, psychedelic, trippy, clear, no ceiling, etc.

Please list which of ACE's strain are similar to the strains below. Of course, ACE might not have stuff similar to some of these.

Basically, I am looking for stuff similar to old school Mexican, Central and South American stuff.

Colombian Gold - ?

Acapulco Gold - ?

Punto Rojo - ?

Naturalgazda

Growing Oldtimer’s haze indoor is mainly advised for seed production or for the most sativa fanboys. It takes time and it won’t be a big yielder.

There are hybrids which will be somewhat easier indoor, such as the Purple/Green Honduras Haze or Panama Haze. The honduran hybrids still seems a bit demanding for indoor but at least you get the hybrid vigour since they are F1.

Hi. A member of one forum grew up beautifully Oldtimer Haze. Huge cola. He trained them a lot, as the box was quite low. I guess the flowering phase was about 135 days.
If I can post a link here, I'll be happy to put it here for inspiration and a beautiful look.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran

Colombian Gold - ?

Acapulco Gold - ?

Punto Rojo - ?

so... did you find something like that?

Cactus Squatter

Honduras!!! Definitely give the Honduras a crack. Phenotypes of both old school Mexican and Colombian. Both phenos are very nice and very old school feeling.
Huge plants, huge vigor.

Hon x Pan is like a very refined and perfected Old school style smoke. I absolutely love it.

Panama is beautiful. Also more refined than the old school Panama, but in the best of ways and still old school feeling and looking. It’s a beautiful plant to grow.

Latest posts

Latest posts