What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which ACE strains similar to old school strains (Colombian Gold, Oaxacan Highland)

farm3r

I am on a quest to look for strains that are similar to the old school strains of the 70's. Of course, I can grab some of these landraces but the indoor tent growth and long flowering time might be a bit too much in testing my patience, so I look to ACE to help me out.

By similar I mean in terms of aroma, taste/flavor, and effect...incense, tropical, electric, soaring, enery, psychedelic, trippy, clear, no ceiling, etc.

Please list which of ACE's strain are similar to the strains below. Of course, ACE might not have stuff similar to some of these.

Basically, I am looking for stuff similar to old school Mexican, Central and South American stuff.

Colombian Gold - ?

Oaxacan Gold/Highland - ? (Cannabiogen Destroyer?)

Acapulco Gold - ?

Punto Rojo - ?

Panama Red - ACE's Panama
And anything that I might have missed?

M

Mr D

I am on a quest to look for strains that are similar to the old school strains of the 70's. Of course, I can grab some of these landraces but the indoor tent growth and long flowering time might be a bit too much in testing my patience, so I look to ACE to help me out.

By similar I mean in terms of aroma, taste/flavor, and effect...incense, tropical, electric, soaring, enery, psychedelic, trippy, clear, no ceiling, etc.

Please list which of ACE's strain are similar to the strains below. Of course, ACE might not have stuff similar to some of these.

Basically, I am looking for stuff similar to old school Mexican, Central and South American stuff.

Colombian Gold - ?

Oaxacan Gold/Highland - ? (Cannabiogen Destroyer?)

Acapulco Gold - ?

Punto Rojo - ?

Panama Red - ACE's Panama
And anything that I might have missed?

Zamladelica

farm3r

Yeh, that's what I thought. Zamaldelica is known for its potential psychedelic characteristics.

Yeh, I've spent hours going through ACE's website and thought I would also ask here as people have grown and tasted them personally.

Thank you, I'll look into these.

Breadwizard

Cannabiogen has released thier "Red Snake" which is Colombian x Mexican, should be similar to what you're looking for

BenoitV1984

Veteran
From that list, I only grew Tikal so I can’t speak for the other. The peach/incensey pheno is definitely a keeper, and I’ve been told from some friends it is indeed old school. Nothing like modern dutch hybrids...

deepwaterdude

Zamaldelica is nothing like central american sativa.

The following are the best chance to find what you are looking for.

Honduras

Honduras x Panama (also available as feminized)

Panama (also available as feminized)

Panama x Tikal (only available as feminized)

Purple Honduras Haze

Tikal (also available as feminized)

I agree with this list, if you seem to be looking for some oldschool, great smoke. I would even leave the tikal off, to narrow things a bit, and add panama haze. Otherwise, right on. Edit: and if you do Zamaldelica, go for the regs to get more tropical expressions.

farm3r

I agree with this list, if you seem to be looking for some oldschool, great smoke. I would even leave the tikal off, to narrow things a bit, and add panama haze. Otherwise, right on. Edit: and if you do Zamaldelica, go for the regs to get more tropical expressions.

Awesome input! The community is coming through. And yes, I am indeed looking for old school great smoke! I feel like the current polyhybrid world is out of hand. Crosses gone wild!

I already got some Zamaldelica fem, but next time I'll grab some reg too and hopefully I'd get that "crazy" pheno. Yeh, Panama Haze was on the list and am trying to narrow the choices down a bit more.

BenoitV1984

Veteran
I thought about adding Panama Haze as well, but the Green Haze phenotypes will be more Thai/Indian influenced hence why I didn't include it.

It will be definitely old school as well, just not strictly latin american old school :)

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I think I recall dubi himself talking about how Tikal is the strain most like old school central american strains. It's worth looking there. I grew out Honduras Breeze recently (Honduras x NepJam) and I can detect a lot about this strain that reminds me of the mexican brickweed I was raised on in the early 90s, but with a bit more relaxation (from the Nepalese). I know that's not necessarily indicative of the 70s strains you mentioned, but it's probably not far off. I don't know because I was in diapers when people were smoking Panama Red.

SolarLogos

I think you all covered the list pretty well. The only one left that I would throw in would be Purple Satellite when it's back in stock. All of mine were pheno's of the '79 Oaxaca. Agreed too, most haze crosses too, as OTH is supposed to be only Lumbo.
You are on a worthy quest farm3r. Wish you the best in your search.

SL

BenoitV1984

Veteran
I indeed love my Zamal/Thai pheno high :), remind me I need to find a place in my next year indoor planning for her.

First I finish my Green Haze x Malawi, then Bangi Haze x Ethiopian, Killer A5, Panama and my Tikal phenotype I haven’t tested yet all 4 together. After that, I’m thinking Ethiopian x Malawi, Honduras x Panama, Malawi x Panama and Zamaldelica together as well.

I wish I had a baby warehouse to grow more different strains, so many to chose from, feel somehow like a nightmare sometime :)

farm3r

I think you all covered the list pretty well. The only one left that I would throw in would be Purple Satellite when it's back in stock. All of mine were pheno's of the '79 Oaxaca. Agreed too, most haze crosses too, as OTH is supposed to be only Lumbo.
You are on a worthy quest farm3r. Wish you the best in your search.

SL

Do you know if Ace is restocking Purple Satellite? Do you or anyone has smoke report of this strain? Oaxacan pheno sounds pretty good to me as I was chasing this landrace seeds.

farm3r

I indeed love my Zamal/Thai pheno high :), remind me I need to find a place in my next year indoor planning for her.

First I finish my Green Haze x Malawi, then Bangi Haze x Ethiopian, Killer A5, Panama and my Tikal phenotype I haven’t tested yet all 4 together. After that, I’m thinking Ethiopian x Malawi, Honduras x Panama, Malawi x Panama and Zamaldelica together as well.

I wish I had a baby warehouse to grow more different strains, so many to chose from, feel somehow like a nightmare sometime :)

I know what you mean. It would be great to have a bigger space to run like 10 different strains at the same time with each growing to a respectable size, growing in at least 5 gallon fabric pot so the plant can get to maybe 5 feet tall.

Or you can run mini plants and flower them in 1 gallon pots. Just need to get them on feeding schedule. I'm talking about organic soil here.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Honduras x Panama is absolutely mind blowing, as is Panama and it's crosses. You can't go wrong.

musigny23

Well to really get where you're trying to go, you would need to also recreate the drying and curing practices too.

That would include such techniques such as allowing a little seeding, drying in the sun, pressing into something bricklike when still a bit wet, storing for a few months like that. Techniques like along those lines. I never once got seed free Columbian or Mexican in the 70s. I also never saw anything unpressed and still bright green.

Well executed and handled, these techniques aren't automatically degrading. BUT badly done and badly handled they are. Lots of those things left the grower as quality product but were abused to various degrees getting to American college dorm rooms.

Since you would be hands on, in control and no long trips across borders are needed you should be able to recreate that product.

Cob curing is the essence of it and maybe doing that would be enough to basicallypretty much get there and maybe that would be good enough.