What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Tree's

DJM

I think your yields speak for themselves.

High RH while keeping rot at bay with proper air circulation is the key to larger yields. There is just too much evidence on the web to suggest otherwise...if you look for it as opposed to following the mantra that low RH is a mandatory. Heath, Krusty, DJM... pretty sure they all crush it while contributing higher RH as a good part of the reasons why.

Cannabis is essentially a tropical plant, derived from the cannabis plant (cannabis sativa). It grows wild in many of the tropical and temperate areas of the world.

Keep up the good work DJM. Straight killing it and keeping it barebones simple in the process.

Thanks a lot man. I believe they do as well. I'm not taking time out of my day to lie to people. Just sharing what I know freely to give back to the community . There is a lot of evidence to prove otherwise online, however for every successful high rh room their are 10 badly executed ones . Giving it a bad name, when the grower is at fault and not the technique . I learned grow largely through trial and error and experimentation as I understood early on listening to others will pigeon toe you as a grower . And lead you to make the same mistakes they do .forward thinking goes a long way. .I approach growing from a horticultural stand point , not just a weed one

Funny you mention tropics. I Grew outdoors year round in the tropics for 10 years. I saw first hand the impact that high rh and temps had on plants and the quality and abundance of the flowers grown in that environment. I was growing indoors simultaneously and little by little begin to try to replicate a controlled tropical climate indoors.. before I even knew what vpd was. Then when I stumbled upon the studies of vpd, it all made sense. I've been running it this way for a while now and like I mentioned before , I've never had rot indoors even on massive 2 ounce colas. So I always laugh when people tell me it can't be done. Growers tend to be prideful creature and they think if they couldn't do it , it's out of the realm of possibility. That sense of ego is what keeps them two steps behind as a grower

DJM

Thank's man, Im subbed , as of now I only use a few thing's the two nute bottle's some cal mag , coco. Im a Nube and trying to keep it as simple as I can with the little I have to work with. I will be trying to use your method's in my grow's. Im running a good fan with lots of flow through my room. Im slowly putting my room together. I could just get my Bro and say what do I need to do to grow the Tree's like he doe's but to me that is no fun. I like to experment and figure it out my self. And read and learn and use idea's that have worked for other's. Year's ago I used Rockwool cubes and was so green I messed everything up but did get a few clone's to root in rockwool, but then quit all together. I have been successful in cloning in coco and a home made cloner, and I need to go back and give the rockwool a honest try. Thank's UC

My pleasure. That eagerness to learn and experiment will take you far. Keep it up. Every failure is a learning experience . You learn more from failure than you do from success . I like rooting in coco too, same results can be done in coco. It's just about preference really. Good luck with the room , feel free to ask any questions you may have

DJM

I'm using the blue/purple gel uncle. But also use Home Depot rooting powder too. Just depends on what I have on hand . I like clonex the most though

B

Baron Greenback

DJM - I didn't realise those were such monster monsters :) Even more respect for your technique now. Thanks for sharing such great tips.
Coco isn't quite 2nd nature for me yet, but I love the lack of massive fluctuations for ec and ph. I think my method crosses over a little with yours, but with nothing like the detail.#
Kudos sir.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Well start with taking my swinging dick and putting it where your bullshit comes out. I know plenty of (and worked in) comerical growers rocking way bigger than u todo.. so while you think your a king you still have a lot to learn yourself kid.
You can tell by the way you say youve ran everything everyway.. and this is the best. This is the best for you SON.
Give anyone who knows half a clue what hes doing that much watts and id hope u could work out some we8ght.
go grow some comerical weed ill stick to my 28% tested proved strains on not even a dialed in setup. Go piss in your root zone (or use it to fight your bud rot) . Whateves

:laughing: Now that's the guy I know. You've been suppressing it a long time, does it feel good to go apeshit again:biggrin:

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
DJM, very happy to see you're now an official coco nut! lol. Hey man the garden is looking as beautiful as ever, your earlier post about growing in coco is spot on, I still struggle to see why anyone would handwater coco every other day but each to their own. Have ya ever thought about adding hydroton on top of your coco to help limit evaporation? Not that you need anymore help because you have it dialed in like a finely tuned Ferrari but it's just something that I do so less water can escape and leave behind salts.

Tagging along for the ride man. Thanks for sharing with us.

:tiphat:

HGO

RedBeardy5

Well if the roots have not filled in wouldn't it be coulter productive watering everyday? I almost lost a crop during my first coco run because someone told me coco has to be watered daily.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
DJM, please don't get discouraged by the few kids that do roam the halls around here. IC is still the best out there and the more knowledgeable growers here the better. I've been growing this plant since 91 but am never done learning. I hope you stick around for a spell.

DJM

the funniest 1 is..only 10 cuttings per trey. LoL
sure pal.

sure indeed. like clockwork...stay out of my thread
picture.php

DJM

DJM, very happy to see you're now an official coco nut! lol. Hey man the garden is looking as beautiful as ever, your earlier post about growing in coco is spot on, I still struggle to see why anyone would handwater coco every other day but each to their own. Have ya ever thought about adding hydroton on top of your coco to help limit evaporation? Not that you need anymore help because you have it dialed in like a finely tuned Ferrari but it's just something that I do so less water can escape and leave behind salts.

Tagging along for the ride man. Thanks for sharing with us.

:tiphat:

HGO

thanks a lot my friend..im experimenting with a few things, chow mix, sammies and perlite mixes...so far I did a mix for early veg but still prefer pure coco for final container..ill give hydroton at the bottom a try for sure..i got some lying around

DJM

Well if the roots have not filled in wouldn't it be coulter productive watering everyday? I almost lost a crop during my first coco run because someone told me coco has to be watered daily.

you are correct. I explained that in an earlier post. that in early veg I use a wet and dry cycle to build a solid root system..i only multifeed when pots are full of roots

DJM

DJM, please don't get discouraged by the few kids that do roam the halls around here. IC is still the best out there and the more knowledgeable growers here the better. I've been growing this plant since 91 but am never done learning. I hope you stick around for a spell.

thanks boss. I honestly don't sweat it at all..i only care about the opinions of people I respect..the kids grow is laughable, what he thinks is meaningless to me..im here to help the community , some rookie tent grower isn't gonna stop that..too bad there isn't a way to block people from threads, if any one knows a way let me know...this thread is all about spreading love and good vibes

MIMedHead

My man speaking the truth, DJM it would be nice to keep certain people from ruining good threads. How much light do you veg them under right before they go into the bloom room? I gotta imagine a couple thousand watts?

I have 60 plants vegging in 5 gal coco pots under 5kw and I need to spread them out soon. They are going into a brand new 12kw grow in less then a week. Keep killing it I'm here to learn

DJM

My man speaking the truth, DJM it would be nice to keep certain people from ruining good threads. How much light do you veg them under right before they go into the bloom room? I gotta imagine a couple thousand watts?

I have 60 plants vegging in 5 gal coco pots under 5kw and I need to spread them out soon. They are going into a brand new 12kw grow in less then a week. Keep killing it I'm here to learn

I go from t5 the first two weeks of veg, then under 1k and turn on more lights as plants are spread out..i have 4kw in veg, but really only use that the last week..most of veg its 1-2kw..i try not to use more lights than necessary and only turn them on as plants grow and get spread...when they go in the main room under 12k is when they really expode..usually grow 8 times their original size in 2 weeks..at that time I run the room really hot and humid around 88f and 80% and turn on the burner..that makes the growth rates expode..youd have to see it to believe it

MIMedHead

Thanks I hope my shit blows up like yours, going to be double the watts I'm use to and first time running a sealed room with co2. Putting the finishing touches on this baby, it was built from the foundation up with one purpose.

Lesterburnum

To djm, damn good posts man! Spot on. I am still learning the enough airflow but seeing what the temps and rh do. Crazy.
Spread the love mang. Thanks.

damn, I had no idea you were on the mag! Been following you on IG for a long time and always been a big admirer.

Thank you for coming here and taking the time to do some detailed write-ups, it is VERY appreciated. Seems like every grower nowadays posts strictly on IG because it's just snap a pic, post, and feed the ego with likes. There's no real discussion or knowledge dissemination do to the nature of the platform itself.

I run a very similar system to yours, although I'm using botanicare readygro aeration mix (has perlite mixed in), and feed for about 10 seconds every hour. I'm still fine-tuning getting the root mass/pot size ratio right, and am excited to see the potential once it is locked in like yours clearly demonstrates.

Completely separate from the plants themselves - do you not worry about structural mold in your basement? How is the exposed wood on the ceiling protected? I've seen friends completely ruin grow houses with black mold from high RH environments. Obviously you've been doing this a long time, so interested to hear your observations on that aspect.

Again, thanks for joining us here.

Nifty_PoT

I don't use a fogger, nor a dehumidifier. I use the mass of vegetation in the room to create the humidity. I also don't run ac. 1 - 10 inch can fan is hooked to the ducting between the lights with slits every 2 feet and I pull in outside air to cool the room.in summer I use 3 fans instead of 1 and run my lights at night. The room is sealed but I have an exhaust fan for night time or if rh goes above 75 during lights on , which it never does . I'm in Colorado and it's very dry out here, so bringing in the outside air dries the room out during lights on and the exhaust does the same during lights out . And even in summer night temps are in the 50s. I have a controller with intake , exhaust fans , heater and co2 burner hooked to it. I have the settings tweaked to meet the levels I aim for. I try to use the elements outside and inside to work for me and keep operating costs down

Just wondering, would i be correct in assuming this would never work in hotter climates? My climate is very hot and dry and i have to decide on going a/c and dehumidy in 100% sealed room or a semi sealed option like yourself.. also how does your room maintain co2 levels if its always being extracted/fed new air?