What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ozone Generator for Micro Grow

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anybody used this ozone generator? It is the OZN-Jr. ozone generator supposed to put out 200mg ozone per hour and good for up to 1000 cubic feet. Runs 10 min on 10 min off.
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/cap-oznjr-ozone-generator-up-to-1000-cubic-ft-p-2066.html

I have a micro grow with a small tent and 150hps and have some smell with my carbon filter which is 4" inlet 8" diameter and 16" tall of actual cylinder space with a 2" layer of carbon. It is doing about 90-95% of the smell removal but I need 100% and was wondering if the ozone jr would work for me and if anyone has experience with it and would have any input on it.

Thanks

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pretty much just did some research on another canna forum and they dont last long but most people say they do work. I most likely wont be getting one.

Still if anyone has first hand experience with on that would be cool to hear about it.

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Hey Bueno Time,

I've done a lot of research on this topic and I have some pretty important suggestions. Personally I would never recommend Ozone in a small grow location especially a micro grow.

It is toxic to the plants and to you to be around Ozone - It's really no joke. The places I've seen it appropriately used is where they dump the air from their scrubber into a secondary room (that neither they or the plants enter) and they do an ozone treatment in that room to remove any left over smells from the scrubber. Still I wouldn't recommend this there are so many better options, and cheaper too.

Let me save you a lot of the time I spent researching and recommend a solution that will absolutely work, is not toxic to humans or plants (which means you can use it in the cab if you want).

The best solution for what your asking is - Vaportek. They have mini discs that are pretty cheap that should be all you need, and also an electronic device that is around $120 for bigger scale operations.

Rezdog uses this Solely without any carbon scrubbers for his Sour Diesel breeding projects, and I can attest that they work as claimed - especially for your type of operation.

You can either put them outside the grow (which I would do) or if you want you can put them in the cab - the oil's from the smell protection will not bind to the growing plants or alter their smell- which is key.

** MAKE SURE YOU GET THE "CLASSIC NEUTRAL" scent - the others will not cut it for cannabis.

Really all you need is this one thing - $27 USD
1) http://www.johnsonsupplyinc.com/miv...I&Product_Code=21-7601&Category_Code=vaportek

If you want a small electronic device for $30 where you buy 12 extra smell protection discs for $26 you can grab this combo - but seriously the one above should be all you need.
Second Possbility:
1) http://www.johnsonsupplyinc.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JSI&Product_Code=90-2600&Category_Code=vaportek (Device - $30)
2) http://www.johnsonsupplyinc.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JSI&Product_Code=34-7600&Category_Code=vaportek (Scent Discs - $26)

Get Classic Neutral scent!

Dank Regards,

Bi0hazard

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
i've used the Amazing1 Ozone30 in all my cabinets. they worked well and they tested safe for home use.

produces up to 100 mg an hour. the reason i say up to is there is a strength control knob on the back of the unit...

picture.php

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Bueno Time,

I've done a lot of research on this topic and I have some pretty important suggestions. Personally I would never recommend Ozone in a small grow location especially a micro grow.

It is toxic to the plants and to you to be around Ozone - It's really no joke. The places I've seen it appropriately used is where they dump the air from their scrubber into a secondary room (that neither they or the plants enter) and they do an ozone treatment in that room to remove any left over smells from the scrubber. Still I wouldn't recommend this there are so many better options, and cheaper too.

Let me save you a lot of the time I spent researching and recommend a solution that will absolutely work, is not toxic to humans or plants (which means you can use it in the cab if you want).

The best solution for what your asking is - Vaportek. They have mini discs that are pretty cheap that should be all you need, and also an electronic device that is around $120 for bigger scale operations.

Rezdog uses this Solely without any carbon scrubbers for his Sour Diesel breeding projects, and I can attest that they work as claimed - especially for your type of operation.

You can either put them outside the grow (which I would do) or if you want you can put them in the cab - the oil's from the smell protection will not bind to the growing plants or alter their smell- which is key.

** MAKE SURE YOU GET THE "CLASSIC NEUTRAL" scent - the others will not cut it for cannabis.

Really all you need is this one thing - $27 USD
1) http://www.johnsonsupplyinc.com/miv...I&Product_Code=21-7601&Category_Code=vaportek

If you want a small electronic device for $30 where you buy 12 extra smell protection discs for $26 you can grab this combo - but seriously the one above should be all you need.
Second Possbility:
1) http://www.johnsonsupplyinc.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JSI&Product_Code=90-2600&Category_Code=vaportek (Device - $30)
2) http://www.johnsonsupplyinc.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JSI&Product_Code=34-7600&Category_Code=vaportek (Scent Discs - $26)

Get Classic Neutral scent!

Dank Regards,

Bi0hazard

Hey thanks for the replys. I have read alot about the ozone gens and I would agree that its probably not for my application and have read of the harmful effects of ozone to plants and pets and people.

I was searching about the effectiveness of ona buckets the other day and one thread was actually in REZ section he was talking about the ona bucket method and the vapoteks. I read a little about vaporteks just assumed that they were over $100 for the unit itself n then you need disks to replace with as well.

I have on order some ona liquid to make a ona bucket since I have a bucket and fans laying around already. I also picked up some absorbing crystals to mix the ona and water with to for basically like a ona gel only its cheaper this way and I guess less expensive since you can continue to rejuvenate the crystals with more ona and water.

I will look into the options you posted above with the links.

:thank you:

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've used the Amazing1 Ozone30 in all my cabinets. they worked well and they tested safe for home use.

produces up to 100 mg an hour. the reason i say up to is there is a strength control knob on the back of the unit...

picture.php

While I was researching the use of small ozone gens in a micro grow app where people and animals and plants will be using the ozone treated areas, one of the posts I read was yours with your dual 150 cab under the fishtank but didnt find a model name for the ozone gen you were using.

I read that u had done ozone test strip testing on the area with the small ozone gen and it was safe. I didnt find a model number though but I am glad you posted the actual model you are using. Thank you

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Hey thanks for the replys. I have read alot about the ozone gens and I would agree that its probably not for my application and have read of the harmful effects of ozone to plants and pets and people.

I was searching about the effectiveness of ona buckets the other day and one thread was actually in REZ section he was talking about the ona bucket method and the vapoteks. I read a little about vaporteks just assumed that they were over $100 for the unit itself n then you need disks to replace with as well.

I have on order some ona liquid to make a ona bucket since I have a bucket and fans laying around already. I also picked up some absorbing crystals to mix the ona and water with to for basically like a ona gel only its cheaper this way and I guess less expensive since you can continue to rejuvenate the crystals with more ona and water.

I will look into the options you posted above with the links.

Really all you need is just the $27 discs that come with an ez twist holder for the wall. The reason I recommend it over Ona gel is that the Ona will stick to your bud and make your bud smell and taste like ona. Not something most people want =]

Vaportek is just as cost effective and absolutely does not bind to the plants which means 100% plant smell/taste even when you use it in the grow room.

Each disc will last you 3 weeks or so.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The vaportek ez twist seems like a very inexpensive option.

I actually saw the ez twist when I googled vaportek after I read in the rez section about vaportek I had never heard about it before but didnt know if that ez twist worked well or not and assumed you may need the big units that are over $100.

Thank you for the help so far guys.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to say this:

Im going to check out the ona bucket method since I have that stuff on order already and if that isnt working well I will check out the vaportek unit.

When I read this:

Really all you need is just the $27 discs that come with an ez twist holder for the wall. The reason I recommend it over Ona gel is that the Ona will stick to your bud and make your bud smell and taste like ona. Not something most people want =]

Vaportek is just as cost effective and absolutely does not bind to the plants which means 100% plant smell/taste even when you use it in the grow room.

Each disc will last you 3 weeks or so.

So you really think the ona will make the buds smell and taste goofy (like ona) if I have the bucket running on the opposite side of the room and the tent in my closet halfway open for air exchange?

I wouldnt want that but I just spent like $23 on a quart of ona liquid :puppydoge

I hope I didnt make a mistake ordering the ona but if thats the case you live and learn and I can always resale it on eBay for some money back lol

PS: I had already ordered the ona liquid a few days ago before looking into ozone gens and before hearing/learning of the vaportek.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've used other ones to rid smoke from high end hotel rooms. They do work but they are harmful. Not sure I'd risk it.

:thank you: for the reply, I have decided against using a ozone gen. Its going to be either the ona or vaportek along with the carbon filter for me.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
ive never seen any harm to my plants because of ozone,,o3 is unstable and fairly quickly reacts with odour molecules,,, you shouldnt inhale it for long periods of time but even then it wont kill you or do any damage apart from out compete a bit of oxygen for the binding sites on your haemoglobin for a while,, which isnt permenent damage,, it is the way to go unless it is too expensive or not appropriate,,

Can420

Bi0hazard, How big of a room are you using for the Vaportek disks? Im curious if a smaller room would make them last longer.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I bought 2 ozone generators a while back. 1 for the bloom room and 1 for the outer veg room. My bloom room is a room within a room. They work great for covering smell. But within a week a my plants in both rooms began developing yellow spots on the leaves. I caught it quick enough but the leaves started dying off at a quicker rate later on into flowering. I've tried the Vapor Tech also. Works fine but I will honestly tell you that until something better comes along you're gonna be better off with an over sized carbon filter/fan combo with a fan speed controller. This will allow you to turn down your fan speed so that you don't get odor blow by from pulling through it too fast. The ona buckets work well but you're always buying ona, absorbent crystals, and maintaining them, then your out going air smells like ona. Got an explanation for that smell when the neighbors ask why it always smells like laundry or whatever smell you go with? Ozone will also destroy any rubber and things like that. Within a week I had to replace the o-ring seals on my pipe down stems.
I just recently seriously considered a 10 inch corona discharge generator but then again, how would I explain that "hospital" smell to the neighbors is asked about it, so for less than half the price I got the biggest carbon filter I could get. Just chopped and dried 3 1/2 lbs of chem 4 and never smelled it in the rest of the house. Exactly what I needed.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is the carbon filter I have.
http://www.gothamhydroponics.com/fans-filters-ducts/fan-filter-combos/4in-vortek-combo.html

My tent is only a hair over 11 cubic feet volume when totally empty and I only have an 80cfm Panasonic Whisper attached to it so it should be pretty oversized for my application but it just doesnt get it all and I am only 1 week into flowering! Its not gonna get less stinky from here on out. Seems like maybe the carbon used in the filter is low grade or there may be some air bypassing the carbon somehow (which it doesnt seem like).

Just want to try to get this figured out before the stank really comes...

Note: It isnt an overwhelming stench it is just a hint of skunkness at this point so its not like running without a filter that would be far worse. Id say the filter is getting a good 95% of the stink out or a little more but not 100%.

Bi0hazard

Veteran
I was going to say this:

Im going to check out the ona bucket method since I have that stuff on order already and if that isnt working well I will check out the vaportek unit.

When I read this:

So you really think the ona will make the buds smell and taste goofy (like ona) if I have the bucket running on the opposite side of the room and the tent in my closet halfway open for air exchange?

I wouldnt want that but I just spent like $23 on a quart of ona liquid :puppydoge

I hope I didnt make a mistake ordering the ona but if thats the case you live and learn and I can always resale it on eBay for some money back lol

PS: I had already ordered the ona liquid a few days ago before looking into ozone gens and before hearing/learning of the vaportek.

The small Ona 15oz containers in a room or near it will contaminate the smell/taste. Have you ever been close to ona? It is a strong "bathroom cleaning product smell you would get at a hotel or something." And the other scents are really strong too.

Not a total waste, I always left some near by just in-case. If any worst case scenario situations happened I could always open it up for small periods of time in the room near the grow. It's a good last measure tool.

I've been using vaporteks for over 3 years and can give the "Classic Neutral" scent my full approval for your application. I tried the lemon one once, didn't cover up the smell it merged with it.

Vaportek's for the win in your situation.

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Bi0hazard, How big of a room are you using for the Vaportek disks? Im curious if a smaller room would make them last longer.

I always used them along with a carbon scrubber CANFAN 100 or 150. I would use the discs outside the room mainly, but also inside it with much success. Also as mentioned it doesn't hurt the buds like ozone or change the smell or taste like ona.

For a 5x5x9 small room you could get away with just the vaportek discs, but you would want the $30 electronic wall unit (helps send the smell around the room much more efficiently) + 12 Classic Neutral discs ($26). For him all he really needs are the twists, and you can open and close the size of the opening on those to allow more or less of the smell through at once.

If you match it right there will be absolutely no smell of any kind, completely cancelled out. If you have a little bit more than needed you just get this nice Bubble Gum kind of smell that isn't too strong - once the cannabis smell is neutralized.

If you are doing 25+ plants go for the $129 model where you have to buy $55 cartridges for it. Those are the ones that Rezdog uses. But if you are doing under 5-10 plants in a small room rather than a cab setup, then the $30 electronic wall mount and 4-5 discs in it should do fine.

-Bi0hazard

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the replys Bio! I appreciate the help and will most likely be checking out the vaportek ez twist.

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
both ona and vaportek use essential oils to eliminate odors. how can ona make your buds taste funny if vaportek doesn't?

when you set up your ona bucket, remember that to be effective the smelly air must pass through the bucket. mingle with the evaporating ona, and exit the bucket into the air. your smelly stinky warm exhaust air will rise up to the ceiling and then fall as it cools. try to get the bucket/buckets in that flow of air.

I'd check for leaks too. you have an-aircooled reflector? is the glass taped? are all the ducts taped up secure?

Latest posts

Latest posts