What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow store enzymes

Gelado`

Veteran
Does anyone here use grow store enzymes with their grows? I was using BioNova BN-Zym, but my bottle went off because I poured some back in from a measuring cylinder. Is there a really a need with organics?

I also have some compost starter that I've watered in with brown sugar and palm sugar in the past. Is this at all beneficial?

O

OrganicOzarks

Worm castings, sprouted seed tea, and a number of other things will contain enzymes. Grow stores want your money, plain and simple.

Gelado`

Veteran
I do use worm castings, kelp, guano and agricultural organic fertilizers made by local research institutes; cheap, and great stuff, packed full of macro and micronutrients and bennies. I'm just always looking for that extra edge. :) OK, good to know I don't need to order another bottle. My plants are doing great right now (knock on wood).

I have a background in biology, so I know organic materials are chockful of enzymes of all kinds, down to the intracellular level. I just wondered if the blend of enzymes in the storebought stuff was beneficial at all.

BTW, the compost starter I use is loaded with bacteria and is also for agricultural use. I get all of this stuff cheap from a local business.

h.h.

Veteran
Unless you're looking for specific bacteria, harvest your own from compost, leaf litter, or EWC. I just use cornmeal and leaf litter if I want compost starter.

Granger2

Veteran
I think Hygrozyme [no shelf life] is good to have on hand for the specific purpose of being able to have a quick turnover. I can harvest a crop in coco, hit the coco with Hygrozyme, 2 days later plant a new crop. The HGZM quickly breaks down old roots so I can recycle my coco without breaking it up or removing old roots. If you don't need to do that, store bought zymes probably not necessary. Good luck. -granger

Gelado`

Veteran
Granger, I do, which is one reason for why I use enzymes. The other is they help break down organic nutrients efficiently and should (theoretically) boost brix levels. I might have to pick some Hygrozyme up! Being able to plant new clones/seedlings two days after harvest sounds incredible.

Granger2

Veteran
Gelado,
Huge labor, time, mess, back saver. Lots of products out there, but my opinion is the the best ones are Hygrozyme-organic, and Cannazyme. Good luck. -granger

Gelado`

Veteran
Thanks, I'll probably pick up one or the other, unless I pick up some pond enzymes.

The BN-Zym did the trick too, and was very concentrated. Wish I hadn't messed up my bottle as it would've lasted me quite a while!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
In my garden, Bio-Cozyme by Grow More replaced Hygrozyme (at a fraction of the price!).

Derived from Ammonium Sulfate, Potassium Phosphate, Alfalfa Meal, Barley Meal, Blood Meal, Kelp Meal from (Ascophyllum Nodosum)...and from the "horses mouth", I was told some of the secret ingredients include hydrolyzed plant extracts, maize extract, mung beans, shark liver, and tomato extract.

Two summers ago, I did side by side experiment with sunflowers testing Cannazyme, Hygrozyme, Sensizyme and Bio-Cozyme. All zymes produced plants that were twice the size of the the control (no zymes but same fertility as the rest). That said, the zyme that produced the largest plant, greatest number of flowers/flower sites, and generated flowers about a week before the others was Bio-Cozyme.

These were my experiences and I paid around $50 for 2.5 gallons of Bio-Cozyme.

Cheers!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Thanks! Compared to other zymes, Bio-Cozyme is super affordable (as in cheap) so doing individual a side by side comparisons (Bio-Cozyme vs the zyme on your shelf) is reasonable; especially if you obtain the same or better results but with le$$ ca$h outflow.

BTW, let me remind the old timers and inform the new folks, my complication in life is: I am both a "connoisseur" of fine things as well as a "perfectionist" when it comes to task performance. With that...you now know where I am came from and where I am going.

Cheers!

Gelado`

Veteran
Eclipse, Bio-Cozyme is available in a dry form for the horticultural industry called WSK--I'm trying to source it through a wholesaler. Alternatively I may just add some barley malt to my teas/topdress with it to boost my bacterial and enzyme activity. :)

Gelado`

Veteran
So after much research, it appears the organic alternative is to have microbes producing amylase and cellulase for you in a tea or in your soil. I have diastatic malt and hops (the compounds in it are beneficial in bloom) on the way...should make for a great topdress with my multi-strain bacterial/yeast compost starter (costs me $1.30 for 100g, which is good for activating a ton (literally) of raw material) worm castings, kelp and a touch of alfalfa! Who needs grow stores!

I swear, the organics forum here has my plants eating better than I do! Actually, I'm going to start working barley and hops into my diet since they are incredible for you!

After harvest, I'll flush (I'm recycling my coco/peat mix and want the excess K out, if any) then work in lots of lovely amendments, and the microbes should take care of the rest (roots and all), leaving lots of great bioavailable macro and micronutrients behind.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Make yer own with whole barley seeds. Sprout em. Soak em for a few days in plain water. Dilute (50/50) ish and apply. Couldnt be much easier...

:smoweed:

John Deere

Veteran
Ya rebel, ya.

Yep. I like to put them in my blender for a few minutes. I sprout ~1/8 cup seeds to make a gallon blended. Organic barley at my local organic grocery store is <$2/lb. I haven't done the math but I'm pretty sure that's a bit cheaper than buying a bottle of something from the hydro store.

Gelado`

Veteran
My cost for fresh diastatic malt: FREE. :)

Worked some into the top of my soil yesterday with a host of other goodies and then watered with aza and unsulphured blackstrap molasses.

h.h.

Veteran
Free is good.
I really like the direction this thread has taken.
While barley sprouts seem to be the preference , a little research tells me I have many choices as long as it's sprouted. I could use my beloved acacia beans.
Kind of a moot point perhaps, lots of sprouts already in the worm bin. Another good reason to produce your own.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
picture.php

Microbe Lift Autumn/Winter Prep is a two-part system of LIQUID bacteria and DRY, water soluble packets containing a blend of cellulase enzymes, cellulase-producing bacteria and a cold weather bacteria. The cellulase enzymes, along with the cellulase-producing bacteria, are the key to accelerating the breakdown of leaves, organic sediment and sludge all winter long. The cold weather bacteria and liquid bacteria take care of the initial breakdown by-products.

Continues to provide sustained biological activity even in water temperatures under 40°F. (4°C.)
Contains psychrophilic strains (cold weather bacteria)
If frozen, bacteria will remain effective after thawing out
Effective in darker conditions (under ice and snow)
Helps to maintain a healthy immune system for your fish during the winter months