What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Living organic soil from start through recycling CONTINUED...

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
this thread is part 2, or the continuation of this thread:

Living organic soil from start through recycling

this thread has become very popular, as a result it was over 500 pages long, which does create un needed stress for the site servers.

so here is Living organic soil from start through recycling continued for your enjoyment. to get up to date follow the link above to the 1st part.

thanks
g

Last edited by a moderator:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Hello everyone... let's put the past aside and continue the work begun before. We have more important things to do and the future is bright for growers! Especially ORGANIC growers...

As this season progresses I am so amazed at what is happening with my pitiful attempt at gardening :)

I've been a fan for years, and recently got the gumption and a space to grow something...so I decided to go Organics for many reasons, and found this original thread. Got me all excited! We condensed it a bit for the last issue of ICMag and now it's time to move forward with what we have learned along the way.

Worms made the compost which created the soil mix, with a bunch of ingredients I see in Vonforne's soil mix. Talk about vigorous growth, I am amazed at what happened with my culinary herbs and medical strains...at some time I will upgrade and get a decent camera, so now you're just gonna have to take my word for it that I am a big fan of organics.

Yeti

Oooh ooh ooh. This could go forever and I'd never complain. I'm happy to see it begin again or continue, whatever you want to call it. The original thread allowed me to make the switch from "organic" bottled nutes and educate several hydro growers of the superior quality, the minimal overhead and infinite potential in building your soil, as well as refine mixes for aquaponic systems and help people develop their yards and gardens into something more beautiful then their miracle-gro could allow. I reference it often and religiously as their are very few resources that compare to its vast and useful knowledge and resources.

Thank you for starting again, the old thread was a novel.

Yeti

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
You definitely have my attention... I've read the other thread fully and refer to it often.

S

shokdee

opps am I late to the party again :checkwatch:

I love living soil, so I've lots of reading to do. Just want to say thanks for all the hard work everyone has already done.

:thank you:

Go organics!

$hokdee

Payaso

Veteran
Yes folks I said Shokdee could use the sun avatar... I have another these days and like to keep a new look going once in awhile :)

Damn fine weather these last few days, in fact I am going to start a new worm bin this weekend :) I hope everyone is growing happily, organically!

D

DHF

Yes folks I said Shokdee could use the sun avatar... I have another these days and like to keep a new look going once in awhile :)

Damn fine weather these last few days, in fact I am going to start a new worm bin this weekend :) I hope everyone is growing happily, organically!
My veggie garden costs less than nothing from composted cowshit over all these yrs , but.....

Thanks for the thread consolidation Bro.....awesome info from valued members......

I live to see the day I can grow a giant pumpkin in my front yard like ya`ll in med-ville........

Organic outside is the way.....

Respect....DHF.....:ying:.....

C

Carlos Danger

Nothing beats the big HID in the sky. Glad to be back under it and really not looking forward to indoor lighting. Especially with all the new CMH options.

V

vonforne

Oh, we are loaning out avatars these days. I must have missed that memo!

Speaking of worm bins.......I received my 45 gallon smart pots yesterday and will try and get one going today as 10 lbs of worms seems kind of crowded in their old home. I will throw up some pictures if I get around to it today.

Thanks for stopping Payaso. How do you like using organic amendments opposed to your old regime?

V

V

vonforne

Hello everyone... let's put the past aside and continue the work begun before. We have more important things to do and the future is bright for growers! Especially ORGANIC growers...

As this season progresses I am so amazed at what is happening with my pitiful attempt at gardening :)

I've been a fan for years, and recently got the gumption and a space to grow something...so I decided to go Organics for many reasons, and found this original thread. Got me all excited! We condensed it a bit for the last issue of ICMag and now it's time to move forward with what we have learned along the way.

Worms made the compost which created the soil mix, with a bunch of ingredients I see in Vonforne's soil mix. Talk about vigorous growth, I am amazed at what happened with my culinary herbs and medical strains...at some time I will upgrade and get a decent camera, so now you're just gonna have to take my word for it that I am a big fan of organics.

Speaking of herbs........I now have 20 Bocking 14 cultivators (Russian Comfrey) to get into the ground today. They are a great addition to ROLS as a top dressing in the no-till pots which I am using 7 gallon smart pots now indoors with blu-mats. We have had lots of rain here for this time of year and the temps have cooled and that has allowed me to stock up on my rain water. The water in my region sucks so the rain water is a blessing.

My outdoor plants are loving it also with the old ROLS that I used to amend the holes with.I did have to add some things but the late planted spots did not. I like to late plant during July and early August for security reasons.........hunters will be everywhere here soon and I cannot have 10 foot plants so keeping them low and safe is my best bet.

V

V

vonforne

Russian Comfrey (Bocking 14 cultivator)

Russian Comfrey (Bocking 14 cultivator)

Russian Confrey- Symphytum x uplandicum
Among all types of Comfrey, Bocking 14 contains the highest levels of cell-proliferant allantoin. This plant is a high protien source of the basic NPK nutrients and used extensively in organic gardening as an animal feed, compost maker, companion plant to orchard trees and a source of nitrogen rich sun tea for feeding plants (folair feeder)

And yolu cannot kill this plant........try and see. This one does not produce seed but can be split at the root and replanted elsewhere or just break off a branch and allow it too root. It will grow just about anywhere but it does well in direct sun areas. I am planting it in several places in my yard.......with my wild flower stand and along the borders of what will be my next years garden.

20 is just a start for me I hope to have hundreds in the spring to top dress all of my garden areas including my indoor garden which is the most important.

V

InjectTruth

Got a good deal on a 12 cu. ft. compost tumbler, just arrived a week ago. Time to pull some weeds and rake up some leaf duff!

I hear ya on the worms being cramped, vonforne. I have one of those multistack worm bins that's bustling. Im curious about making a felt pot bed, but it seems it may dry out rather quickly.

InjectTruth

My plan is to throw all my raw bedding and foodstock into the tumbling composter for 3-4 weeks, and then feeding the finished compost to the worms. Hoping to achieve a quicker turnaround and a more consistent particle size without screening. We'll see how it goes.

V

vonforne

My plan is to throw all my raw bedding and foodstock into the tumbling composter for 3-4 weeks, and then feeding the finished compost to the worms. Hoping to achieve a quicker turnaround and a more consistent particle size without screening. We'll see how it goes.

I hear you on the faster turn around. I like using some kind of organic composted manure, old soil, leaves for bedding etc. I also use local soil as I do in my soil mixes. I will snap a few shots when I set these up today. I also add coffee grounds, GRD, Oyster shell, Biochar, Neem seed meal (worms love this) and a few other things that normally go into my soil mixes.

I am getting ready to harvest ( sift with 1\4 hardware cloth) about 25 gallons that the worms processed in about a month or so. I layered ontop of the old castings and added more worms......about 5 lbs to the 5 plus lbs in there. And that is just an estimate on what was in the bin to begin with. I can dig to the bottom and each handful has hundreds of worms in it so I think I have underestimated their numbers.

V

V

vonforne

Got a good deal on a 12 cu. ft. compost tumbler, just arrived a week ago. Time to pull some weeds and rake up some leaf duff!

I hear ya on the worms being cramped, vonforne. I have one of those multistack worm bins that's bustling. Im curious about making a felt pot bed, but it seems it may dry out rather quickly.

I went with the 45 gallon Smart pots and not the 100s as some use. I hope to have several of these before long. I picked up the 45´s on Amazon for about 13.00$ each.

V

Payaso

Veteran
Happy Growing all!

Plants are vigorous, the weather beautiful :)

Didn't get to the worm bin this weekend, but coming soon!

Last year I used no nutes at all and was somewhat amazed to get any yeild... this year I am using an organic soil mix, and for amending I am using General Organics trio...significant results and I see some other organics people are also using this stuff with good results.

Avatars! When I get tired of one I give it away... there's always someone around to copy/cat use it and keep it alive... :)

Well, as soon as I get the groove on with enough organic worm castings and compost I will just use that as a top dressing, but I am slowly working my way there.

Dang Vonforne that is a LOT of comfrey! Is that the medicinal variety?

I'd love to hear more about other herbs and things to plant with cannabis and/or in and around compost piles.

V

vonforne

:joint:

Morning all! Smoking some fresh pressed hash. Hope you all have a great day where ever you are.

Peace and puffs

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd love to hear more about other herbs and things to plant with cannabis and/or in and around compost piles.

you must mean dynamic accumulators? Vonforne's comfrey is definitely one as dandelions or alfalfa are

i m pretty big on growing clover in my pots and like to harvest the alfalfa in my field for compost bio-mass ~or even to use in teas and as alfalafa meal {alfalfa/clover=legumes}

Latest posts

Latest posts