What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting, Storing, and Mailing Pollen

Telepod

We can all work together to make better cannabis... Here is an outstanding article on working with cycad pollen, which contains many valuable lessons for the MJ breeding community. Check it out!
(click here for the full article)

Collection and Storage of Pollen
One of the keys to producing viable seeds is the proper collection of, and if needed, storage of pollen. I try to make sure the pollen I use is viable. I am going to discuss how I go through the whole process. Pollen can stay viable for at least a week or two outside of the refrigerator. I don't recommend waiting this long because it is important that pollen be as fresh as possible. This will prolong its viability during storage. Using pollen that is older is still better than nothing, if that is all you have to work with. Pollen that has become inviable does no good and wastes time and energy.
Male plants produce the pollen and females produce the seeds. ... tap the top of the cone slightly with my finger to see if the pollen falls out of the cone. If it is a very small cone, it is best to put a piece of paper under the cone to catch any pollen that may fall out. If ANY pollen falls from the cone, it is ready to harvest. ... You will notice that some of the pollen sacs are ruptured when you see that pollen has fallen out. If you don't catch the male cone on its first day releasing pollen, it is best to see how many of the pollen sacs have ruptured. If all the pollen sacs have ruptured, it may be hard to determine when the pollen has been released, and therefore may be inviable. ... Extremely high temperatures will reduce the viability of pollen. Pollen will continue to shed for approximately five days. I collect the pollen every two days and place it in paper packets I make by folding small pieces of notebook paper and sealing the side and ends with tape. It is important to make sure that the tape covers as little of the surface as possible so that the paper packet can breathe. ...
In order to store pollen for long periods of time, it is important to remove as much of the water content in the pollen as possible. Store the pollen in a glass jar or vial, avoiding plastic bags, which can breathe and are not the best for long-term storage. To reduce the water content in the pollen, place some desiccant in the bottom of the container. I use an indicating desiccant. When dry this material is blue, and as it absorbs moisture, it turns pink. By using an indicating desiccant, you can tell when it has absorbed all the moisture it can. It is impossible to tell whether regular desiccant is still dry just by looking at it. Once indicating desiccant has absorbed all the moisture possible, it turns pink. Place it in the oven and bake it until it turns blue again. This desiccant can be used over and over again. The amount of desiccant you use depends on the amount of pollen you are trying to dry out. I have found that 1/2 - 1" in the bottom of the container works well. The paper packets are then placed on top of the desiccant. By using paper packets, which can breathe, the desiccant can do its job. Instead of using one big packet for all of your pollen, place the pollen in small packets so one packet can be removed quickly without disturbing the unused pollen. ... Write the species name and date stored on both sides of the packet so you can tell later on how old the pollen is.

Once I cap the vial, I place it in the refrigerator for two days. I do not place it directly in the freezer because the pollen's moisture content is too high; water expansion can rupture the pollen and render it inviable. Once the pollen has been in the vial for at least two days, and as long as the paper packet has had enough breathable area, moisture content will be reduced enough for you to put the vial in the freezer. Once the vial is in the freezer, the pollen should be good for years. I have found that pollen will stay very fresh for at least three years. I know one person who used pollen that had been stored for six years and got a good seed set. I have been told that if pollen were to be stored in liquid nitrogen, it would stay viable forever. Of course this method is not practical for most people. If you collect pollen on separate occasions, but eventually want to keep the pollen in the same container, it is best to store the newer pollen in a different vial and go through the same process in the refrigerator. Once the new pollen is desiccated, the newer packets can be quickly placed in the original container.
When removing packets for use, it is important to minimize the time that the vial is open because the pollen and packets can reabsorb moisture. This is another reason to use several packets instead of removing a small amount of pollen each time from one larger packet. Once you remove a packet, use the pollen as soon as possible.
Pollen loses viability quickly at room temperature and even faster at higher temperatures. Pollen can stay viable at room temperature for several days, but I attempt to maximize its viability so that more good seed is produced in the long run. Just because an entire cone is pollinated does not mean all of the seeds will germinate. Quality of the pollen has a great deal to do with how many seeds in each cone are viable. Another reason to keep moisture content low in pollen is to lessen the chance for fungus to grow on and kill the pollen. When I send pollen to someone who lives far away, I send it in a vial containing desiccant. This will keep the viability high. If the shipping time will be longer than one week, I add a cold pack to the box, which seems to help. I have been thinking about making a shipping container that would have two compartments. The inner middle compartment could hold the vial, and the outside compartment could hold ice to keep the vial cooler while shipping. If dry ice were used in the outer compartment, pollen most likely could be shipped anywhere in the world without loss of viability.
I hope this information helps everyone store pollen correctly to insure its viability. This is especially important for those who are mailing pollen to others. More and more people are propagating cycads every day, and they are also coordinating their efforts with others by sending pollen to people who do not have male plants. I hope this article will help everyone produce more seeds and, eventually, more cycads.

lespaulcustom

When would be the best time to use the pollen? Anytime now i'm going to pollenate some plants. I'm just waiting on the male to release it. Can the pollen be put on when it releases? The flowering female is almost two weeks into 12/12. The buds are starting to form. Can it be put on this early or should it be a fully developed bud first?

Telepod

Hey

Hey

Thanks for the great compliments... I was just lucky enough to find this information; I had the idea to google "mailing pollen." Whatta score!

lespaul:I think that two weeks might be a tad early; it depends on how many seeds you want to make. I usually wait until there is a good little thistly tuft of pistils at each budsite ready to receive the pollen. The seeds themselves will take the same amount of time to develop regardless of when you start, so it is better to pollenate too early than too late. Also it is nice in a personal grow if all your seeds are on the very inside of the buds next to the stem, which is what you get when you pollenate early. It makes the seeds easier to keep track of and leaves you with some nice sinsemilla as well. So, "fully developed bud" is too late to wait in my opinion; sometime soon sounds good.

Flowerman

Great post Telepod!;)
The longest I ever had pollen to work was 5 months. Kept in film containers, mixed with flour in stored in the freezer. But you usually want to use it within the first 2 weeks if kept out.
I'm with tele, I usually like to pollinate my females right around the 4th week, and this way, I still get some nice buds, and it usually gives me at least around 50 to 100 seeds. But this all depends on how big the lady is before I do it. Small clones, around 20+.
If you wait longer during the flowering period, you can get more seeds, but the plant will use all of it's energy to make the seeds. But you'll have alot of white seeds as well, as there isn't enough energy to make them, and this will dramitcally effect potency to some degree, and definitely yield.

lespaulcustom

thanks, yeah i don't want alot of seeds. I'll explain what i'm doing. I have a female top 44 and a male ak 48 at the same age from seed and thought i would pollenate her with him. By the way, is it good to cross mostly indicas together? Maybe top 44 will be done too early fore the seed to mature cause of its short floweing cycle which i've yet to find out for myself if this is true. Its been two weeks now and the male hasn't drop any pollen yet so maybe i can do it in the third week of flower. The female already has nice growth around the nodes with plenty of hairs. The female top 44 is only 16 inches high from the stem coming out of the pot. I would like to do it the same day as the male releases it to assure pollenation as i've never stored it or used it before. Also i'm just going to do some of the smaller lower buds and not the main four tops. Is this good, to do it on the smaller lower buds? Anyway here is a pic taken yesterday. What do you think, still to small to pollenate? I can post a better pic of just the buds if needed.

901Top_44_-_2_weeks_flowerx-thumb.jpg

901Top_44_-_2_weeks_flowerx-med.jpg

I can't figure this pic posting thing out. The larger pic is in my gallery.

Last edited:

racefan

Thank you very much for this information.I have some Webbed Indica X Duckfoot males that I want to collect the pollen from. This info answered all my questions and some I didn't even know I had.

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Telepod, really good stuff. I'm gonna have to remember this thread when it comes time for me to make some seeds. Thanks for the information.

GreatLakes THC

Can preflowers releas pollen? I just sexed a afghani male and has 3-4 preflowers , moved it out of the direct light to put more prosperous females in better field position. I was just wondering how long I should leave in the room with the females. Thanks for any replies. Later

Telepod

be cautious

be cautious

Generally I would say No, preflowers will not release pollen...
However, the danger is that there will be flowers you haven't seen, or you will be unable to predict the maturation time for the individual pollen sacs, and some may *pop* before you are ready for it. If you are good and certain it's a male, and you plan on flowering him out for pollen, my suggestion is to have a separate space ready in which to keep your male while he flowers, and move him there as soon as possible. Not very much light is needed for male flowers, in fact lower light levels will probably limit the production of pollen, which is a good thing since you only want a little. I have found also that most males once flowering is in process will finish under 24-hour light no problem; an additional timer is unneccessary.

I hope this helps!

-Telepod

EHP

selfprofider -
Make a dome(or squared structure) out of wood and clear polystyrene... now place him with bitches. He will be much happier with a roomfull of girls, hence shall release his pollen profoundly :eek: :D :D

Hybrid

good info!!

good info!!

Imagine what someone would think nowadays if they encountered some unknown powdery substance, after the anthrax scare and such, Whoa i got some on me :D. Dont get me wrong, im all for enhancing the community, but that would really freak out some people. Might even raise some bigger eyebrows than normal. Be Safe

Hybrid

Telepod

now that you mention it...

now that you mention it...

I actually included a computer-printed note in my last pollen shipment.

I forget the exact wording, but it was something to the effect of:

ATTENTION POSTAL INSPECTORS:

This parcel contains only plant pollen, sent from one hobby gardener to another for seedmaking purposes. It is non-hazardous and poses absolutely no threat to anyone in any way.

:)

G

Lespaulcustom: You can and should use the pollen right after it's released. And if you think your top44 will finish too early for the seeds to mature, cut off the sinsemilla part and let the rest of the plant flower a little longer. Seeds are usually mature 4-6 weeks after pollination, but it does not hurt to let them go longer. And try to avoid pollinating the lowermost branches, they may not get enough light for good seed development.

Hypergrl420

Great information! I was just looking for some answers on how to store and mail pollen. You just saved me alot of time and mistakes.

Thanks! :p

Latest posts

Latest posts