What's new

High-potency cannabis and the risk of psychosis

wow thats a whack study!and how do we know these folks werent doing other drugs?im very sure that south london has a thriving amphetamine scene but theres no way the cannabis users in this study would be using other drugs that cause pyschosis.now that would be silly

rolandomota

Veteran
I know for a fact that the lack of sleep is what causes psychosis not marijuana. Been their done that. 5 days straight of no sleep will mess you up good until you sleep normaly again. I only use marijuana so the psychiatrist said it was the weed. Well he is full of shit. I kept saying its when i cant sleep that i have trouble with my mind but he was sure it was marijuana. Those assholes are impossible to convince. I told him "your smart im telling you its sleep deprivation not weed smoking im telling you this because its my experience this has happened three times to me" but he just wouldnt listen. All he heard is i smoke weed and automatically he went with the conclusion of weed being the culprit. Selective hearing is their main problem. Meth will keep people up for days at a time. I hate that shit i will never touch that crap but i have seen its effects on others and heard stories about it.

WelderDan

Veteran
If someone is already prone to psychosis, cannabis can trigger it, this isn't new. Other things can trigger psychosis too. I think more study needs to be done to determine if cannabis alone can CAUSE psychosis in someone not already prone to it.

rizla_cr0w

... and reading how clueless alot of the "Psychiatry Industry" is in Robert Whitaker's book:
Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm skeptical towards everything relating psychosis to marijuana and the increasinf numbers of it happening, as I belive most of the cases are "just" panic attacks. High THC does that, it's not new... horrible anxiety, not knowing what's going on... thinking you die and / or go insane... what makes a "good" racey sativa experience for some , causes a panic attack in others.
It gets severe though, up to a point where people seek help in hospital, thinking they're dying. it actually feels like your going veritably insane especially when you freak out and don't know what's going on with you.

I think that this might be what is labelled as psychosis in the files later.

Gry

Veteran
I will always remember Dick Cheney bragging about how easy it was to control the media here with spending money overseas.

waveguide

Veteran
certain cases do elicit the bearing of "historical events" upon the establishment of psych diagnoses.. but you know if i said them, certain people would post on and on about how blabh blah blah and bow your widdle head widdle sleepy baa baa sheep and refer to whatever authoritarian memetics get you hard eh.

you know, they do things to people.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
Dr. Grinspoon put it best... generally the psychiatric community has tried to attribute the use with schizophrenia. But the reality is the diagnosis rate of schizophrenia hasn't changed in over 100 years in any statistically meaningful way.

Cannabis use on the other hand certainly has changed in a statistically meaningful way.

I think there's little question that cannabis can induce episodes in people, but I also think most of those people were likely to have had an underlying condition.

And the flip side of course is CBD. This is a potent anti psychotic that has demonstrated great promise in treating schizophrenia (which really does appear to be an endocannabinoid related disorder) and maybe other disorders too.

barnyard

sativa dominant strains can be difficult for some people, but there is no residual affect on the patient

all kinds of fancy letters behind their names and these cats never bother to define what they are talking about.

what on the farm is a "psychotic episode"?