What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My take on the Lion Balm

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have gone from olive oil to coconut oil as a base - coconut oil has many anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and healing properties of it's own, and has the added benefit of quick absorption into your skin. Also, a potato ricer makes a great tool for squeezing the oil out of the plant material and doing the initial sieve. I use several layers of cheese cloth to do the final sieve.

HillbillysWife

Thanks so much for this post! I am going to try this today. A snow day is a great day for making stuff.

Has anyone tried this for pain? My husband has severe back pain and I looking forward to rubbing it on his back.

I have gone from olive oil to coconut oil as a base - coconut oil has many anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and healing properties of it's own, and has the added benefit of quick absorption into your skin. Also, a potato ricer makes a great tool for squeezing the oil out of the plant material and doing the initial sieve. I use several layers of cheese cloth to do the final sieve.

Thanks for the coconut oil tip, I have been using coconut oil for many thinks recently and look forward to using it in this recipe.

Thanks for sharing everyone!!!!

HillBilly's Wife

oldchuck

Veteran
Thanks so much for this post! I am going to try this today. A snow day is a great day for making stuff.

Has anyone tried this for pain? My husband has severe back pain and I looking forward to rubbing it on his back.

It helps with pain but it depends on how close to the surface the source of the pain is. Rub it in and you'll find out. It doesn't last very long but it is great with the arthritis in my hands.

HillbillysWife

It helps with pain but it depends on how close to the surface the source of the pain is. Rub it in and you'll find out. It doesn't last very long but it is great with the arthritis in my hands.

Thanks for the response, I am going to try it - That is the only way to know if it works for him.

Thanks

HillBilly's Wife

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Good luck to all

Good luck to all

I'm doing it right now brother ... In the fridge getting ready to separate olive oil from water ...

Nice one bro. Please let us know, how it goes when it´s used.

Thanks for the input rives and sorry for the late reply.
Good quality cold pressed olive oil has many medicinal properties and good quality coconut oil it´s hard to find and expensive here in Portugal. While at the same time i got olive oil from our own olive trees. No brainer in here :biggrin:
I wouldn´t mind swaping some balm made with olive oil for some made with coconut one ;)

Thanks for the coconut oil tip, I have been using coconut oil for many thinks recently and look forward to using it in this recipe.
Thanks for sharing everyone!!!!

HillBilly's Wife

Hello HB´sW:tiphat:
I hope that you guys are doing great. And tell Billy that i know what the cold weather does to a bad back, got one myself.
Sadly i find this first recipe, made more for antiseptical properties, not very useful for pain relief on back pain or arthrithis.
I´ll make a batch just with rosemary oil to see if it has stronger properties on these issues.

Thanks to all for taking your Health in your hands.

sutra1

Just wanted to bump this thread, cause I've made this recipe and found it to be really helpful. At 57 it makes my "joints" feel almost new again!

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
A new use! …this one’s for the ladies!!

A new use! …this one’s for the ladies!!

I just made some coconut oil based canna-cream, upon discovering a new use/recipe…I’m sure many of you have heard of ‘Foria’…

Cannabis infused lube!! … Coconut oil + hash!

The recipe suggested 1 gram :: 1 cup of coconut oil. I made it stronger…using 2.5 grams of hash to about 3/4 cup of coconut oil…
Then, using a crock pot (but you could use a double boiler method on the stove), simmer/low heat, careful not to boil, for about 3 hours, shaking the jar every 1/2 hour or so…I put the coconut oil & hash in a jar (w/ lid); putting the lidded jar in the crock pot w/ enough water in the crock pot, (not in the jar!), to submerge the jar 3/4 of the way.

I just made it this morning, so I haven’t had a chance to try it just yet, but I have heard really good things about Foria, (BTW, this is more for the ladies, I don’t think it really does much for guys…Sorry, not sorry!!) :wink: This will of course, also work for all the other applications discussed in this thread as well.

**Note of caution: do NOT use latex w/ coconut oil.** & allow to cool completely before use!!!

Enjoy!!!

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Nice one Sutra.
I´ll be testing it in my sore joints later on. Many thanks for the good vibes and kind words.

Hello Nuttyg! I sure gonna make a batch of that recipe and share it with my lady friends.
I´m all helpful on those kind of issues! ;)

Thanks to all for keeping the spirits high.